Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭MizMix

Not sure if this has been covered:
    NI rollout looks much quicker than here. I am a cross border worker and my business is north of the border. I do not have a National Sec No (as since covid they stopped this in the UK- my business was in the south up untill Aug). As someone who works in the UK, mixes with staff (although not right now as I only have one member of staff and we work alternative days) is it possible to avail of it there e.g. if it's rolled out in pharmacies etc eventually? Obviously not looking to jump queues to those who are a priority but it looks like they'll get the whole population done before summer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭Azatadine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Azatadine wrote: »

Surely that's the best outcome we could have hoped for??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Surely that's the best outcome we could have hoped for??

Yep!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Azatadine wrote: »

Give those two an extra jab. Sometimes the immune system can be lazy and needs an extra kick in the rear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Vaccinated will not be carriers, that’s brilliant news

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's a small sample set, but that looks like 98.1% efficiacy. Everything about that is above and beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

seamus wrote: »
    It's a small sample set, but that looks like 98.1% efficiacy. Everything about that is above and beyond.

Am I reading it right that it stops transmission? How could they tell that already?

seamus wrote: »

It's a great result, but not how you determine efficacy.

It's a great result, but not how you determine efficacy.

For example in phase 2 trials of the Oxford Astrazeneca jab 90% of people developed antibodies after 1 dose, it was 100% after two (small sample).

• Advertisement

Hmmzis wrote: »
    Give those two an extra jab. Sometimes the immune system can be lazy and needs an extra kick in the rear.

I wonder would they maybe try a different vaccine with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Am I reading it right that it stops transmission? How could they tell that already?

I don't get that either, the phase 3 trials had much larger sample sizes and Pfizer did not come out with that kind of statement. Hopefully true all the same.

Edit: now that I think about it, it may be that Pfizer were not checking for the same 'things', in their trials. They may have only been looking for Covid immunity not virus sterilization/transmission.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

I wonder would they maybe try a different vaccine with them.

Would be worth a shot (pun intended), a viral vector might do more for them maybe. Also, research in animals suggests that following with a protein vaccine after an intra-cellular one boosts immune responses greatly, including T cells.

Sconsey wrote: »
    I don't get that either, the phase 3 trials had much larger sample sizes and Pfizer did not come out with that kind of statement. Hopefully true all the same.

Edit: now that I think about it, it may be that Pfizer were not checking for the same 'things', in their trials. They may have only been looking for Covid immunity not virus sterilization/transmission.

Statistically 100 out 102 means 95% of the of the time the true rate will be between 93% and 99.7%. Same result as Pfizer basically

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Statistically 100 out 102 means 95% of the of the time the true rate will be between 93% and 99.7%. Same result as Pfizer basically

Yeah I am more wondering about their statements regarding transmission. From the (very short) article.....
    The vaccinated will probably not be carriers, nor will they be contagious: this is the conclusion from the interim results of a study in Sheba Hospital.

Huge news really, but I am still more hopeful at this stage then confident.

If it turns out to stop transmission presumably it’s the only vaccine that matters?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Gael23 wrote: »
    If it turns out to stop transmission presumably it’s the only vaccine that matters?

One tool in the arsenal!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

Surely this would mean that vaccinated people won't need to be tested if they're a close contact, or for travel etc?

funnydoggy wrote: »
    One tool in the arsenal!

Are you a lockdown merchant😂?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭landofthetree

This is great news obviously.

But in the short term it's going to create a two tier society?

Those vaccinated can do what they want while the rest of us wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Are you a lockdown merchant��?

Eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

I'd imagine all those mRNA ones are similar, without knowing the specifics, they are pretty much the same thing, I think......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

They are now talking about forcing nurses to take the vaccine the ones that said no...since this vaccine is "experimental" and forcing someone to take it is making them take part in human experimentation....last I heard "human experimentation" is considered as crimes against humanity...surely you can not force someone to take part in an experiment

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

Hooter23 wrote: »
    They are now talking about forcing nurses to take the vaccine the ones that said no...since this vaccine is "experimental" and forcing someone to take it is making them take part in human experimentation....last I heard "human experimentation" is considered as crimes against humanity...surely you can not force someone to take part in an experiment

Who is talking about that? Government has been clear that vaccination will not be mandatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

nommm wrote: »
    Who is talking about that? Government has been clear that vaccination will not be mandatory.

It’s just anti vaxxers stirring the pot on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The HSE are very pleased with the voluntary take-up of the vaccine so far by HCWs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

This post's content is beyond rubbish. Bizzare meandering nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,655 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

If you work in health, you have to take vaccines, the response should be to go and find another job (there is a whole thing in France of nurses obtaining fake vaccine documentation that should be clamped down upon).

The approved vaccines are not experimental, and have passed all safety standards required by medicines.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I was talking to my mam earlier and she was saying neither of her sisters can get it because one is allergic to penicillin and the other had an anaphylactic shock a few years ago. Does this sound right? Assuming it is would it only be for certain vaccines?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

salmocab wrote: »
    I was talking to my mam earlier and she was saying neither of her sisters can get it because one is allergic to penicillin and the other had an anaphylactic shock a few years ago. Does this sound right? Assuming it is would it only be for certain vaccines?
    Theres worry about allergic reaction with the mRNA vaccines.

I believe theres a protocol where people can be vaccinated and monitored for a period of time after injection in case of risk of anaphylaxis.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement