Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

salmocab wrote: »
    I was talking to my mam earlier and she was saying neither of her sisters can get it because one is allergic to penicillin and the other had an anaphylactic shock a few years ago. Does this sound right? Assuming it is would it only be for certain vaccines?

A colleague at work was turned down for the Pfizer vaccination because of a peanut allergy but they are planning to give her the next one

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Ah great thanks. There’s always a worry when my mam passes on knowledge from her sisters that it’s not quite complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mun1

My OH is a frontline healthcare nurse working with COVID patients daily as part of a HSE supported care facility, both in hospice and in the community.
    Her facility got 20 vaccines today ,
    3 went to frontline nurses. (Total 40 nurses)
    4 went to frontline care staff.
    7 went to doctors
    All above pretty reasonable but 6 went to nursing managers including director of nursing, catering manager, fleet manager, services manager. All non frontline staff This is disgusting behaviour and my OH really felt like sh1t when when came home today

MY OH is covering colleagues shifts who are out sick with COVID .
    Well she’s not any more !
    Ireland at its best !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭jackboy

mun1 wrote: »
    My OH is a frontline healthcare nurse working with COVID patients daily as part of a HSE supported care facility, both in hospice and in the community.
    7 went to doctors
    All above pretty reasonable but 6 went to nursing managers including director of nursing, catering manager, fleet manager, services manager. All non frontline staff This is disgusting behaviour and my OH really felt like sh1t when when came home today

Ireland at its best !
    Who vaccinated them?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,785 ✭✭✭hynesie08

7 went to doctors

Ireland at its best !

When your OH is covering these shifts, who's rostering her in? Assigning her patients? Making sure the patients and staff get fed?

What happens if these people end up out sick?

Gotta make sure every department has some level of vaccination....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

7 went to doctors

Ireland at its best !

It sounds like it might be this HSE guidance
    The HSE said that centres should establish standby lists of frontline healthcare workers later in the sequence order.

They should be available at short notice and are to be randomly selected from the lists for vaccination in the event that frontline healthcare staff earlier in the sequence order do not attend or cannot receive the vaccine.

The HSE also advised that centres should consider establishing standby lists of other health staff (provisional vaccine allocation Group 4).

As per HSE guidelines :

Frontline in direct patient contact with patients are group 2
    Other healthcare not in direct patient contact are group 4

As per HSE guidelines :

Frontline in direct patient contact with patients are group 2
    Other healthcare not in direct patient contact are group 4
    Yes, but the guidance above says do group 4 if you can't get enough of group 2 to use up vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

is_that_so wrote: »
    Yes, but the guidance above says do group 4 if you can't get enough of group 2 to use up vaccines.

Post says 40 nurses and 3 got them. To me it looks like there was enough of group 2 there

Just asked my OH and she said There was at least 20 of group 2 available this morning when vaccines arrived (nurses and care staff. )

Management have been asked for an explanation by INMO

• Advertisement

titan18 wrote: »
    Post says 40 nurses and 3 got them. To me it looks like there was enough of group 2 there
    14 went to frontline out of 20 shots they received. We're not privy to why they only got that many nor why there is a higher proportion of what looks like group 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,374 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Donnelly still hasn't got his act together. He should be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,427 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Donnelly still hasn't got his act together. He should be replaced.

Clear guidance was issued on the 12th Jan. Disappointed he isn't whirring around the country in a helicopter checking each vaccination place?

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

Are frontline workers with high risk conditions over say colleagues with no known health risks getting prioritised for vaccinations?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

Are frontline workers with high risk conditions over say colleagues with no known health risks getting prioritised for vaccinations?

No. In my hospital we had to register your interest to get an appt and you can your area and your job title. Alot of very high risk people were redeployed from clinical roles and the broader high risk is quite a large proportion of any group (30%ish i believe)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Water John wrote: »
    Clear guidance was issued on the 12th Jan. Disappointed he isn't whirring around the country in a helicopter checking each vaccination place?

I like the idea of the Minister going around micro managing, counting the vials and deciding on vaccination order in each individual healthcare setting. Perhaps we could look into whether mRNA can clone people to make it possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Bloomberg reports here (paywall):

- The European Union’s executive arm will urge member states to set a target for vaccinating at least 70% of the bloc’s population by this summer.
    - The European Commission will also vow to agree with member states by the end of this month on a protocol for vaccination certificates. Such certificates could replace quarantines and test-requirements, proving that “you are no longer high-risk for travel.”
    - Vaccination certificates that would allow travel to resume -- at least for those who receive the jab.

Good idea for vaccination certificates, makes sense that those who have the jab can fly and should encourage vaccine take-up. The over 70's will be heading on the first sun holidays!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Not really. If you are doing a hospital you will do that hospital in a few days. It's too much of administrative headache to pull in the at risk people on day 1 instead of day 2 or 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

On a little bit of promising news, have been minding a child with (very mild) covid for the past 2 weeks. Child too young to isolate so I’ve been sneezed on around 50 times in the 2 weeks. Have had one dose of Pfizer vaccine and negative swab and no symptoms after 14 days. Have had covid last March but still quite positive news imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

JTMan wrote: »
    Bloomberg reports here (paywall):

- The European Union’s executive arm will urge member states to set a target for vaccinating at least 70% of the bloc’s population by this summer.
    - The European Commission will also vow to agree with member states by the end of this month on a protocol for vaccination certificates. Such certificates could replace quarantines and test-requirements, proving that “you are no longer high-risk for travel.”
    - Vaccination certificates that would allow travel to resume -- at least for those who receive the jab.

Good idea for vaccination certificates, makes sense that those who have the jab can fly and should encourage vaccine take-up. The over 70's will be heading on the first sun holidays!!

If my auld pair get going on holidays before me, I’ll go ****ing mad. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Am I reading it right that it stops transmission? How could they tell that already?
    Good question actually (how could they tell that already?) But not sure it's the right topic for this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Doc07

A colleague at work was turned down for the Pfizer vaccination because of a peanut allergy but they are planning to give her the next one

I’m not doubting your anecdote or your colleague’s circumstances but food allergy is not a contraindication to the mRNA vaccines. In general people with allergy (including serious reactions eg anaphylaxis) can still get vaccine but with more precautions and observation time.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭doxy79

Question, if you have a close contact, do you have to tell your employer the details of this close contact, or how does it work?

I'm in an odd situation. My coworker has tested positive. This employee was feeling unwell at work Friday, arranged a test on Saturday, somehow was dopey enough to come to work with the rest of us on Sunday, then got a positive test result this morning.

We knew nothing of all this until this evening. It's the company's policy to not tell us if someone tests positive. So basically, I'm not meant to know that I spent Sunday working closely with someone who was already positive, and they obviously don't think any of us need to be tested.

Am I right in thinking this is ridiculous? Should I be self isolating as a close contact? I don't want to name the close contact to them as they're the type of company that wouldn't take kindly to you overruling their judgement, and would remember it in the future. Can I just tell them I've had a close contact and need to self isolate and refuse to provide any further details?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

JTMan wrote: »

This is a bad idea , or at least a bad idea for the time being, once European countries have reached 50% vaccination levels it should possibly be introduced.
    There is no need to incentives uptake until you reach at least that level as there is a considerable amount of people desperate to have it.

All this will do is encourage queue jumping/corruption and cause bad feeling.

Also it's a bit ridiculous considering it hasn't been proved in a European clinical trial yet that they prevent transmission.
    They are willing to hold up vital vaccines due to trial requirements but then allow something that's not been trialed at all as far as I know.

Ps I know they do nearly certainly reduce/prevent transmission but it hasn't been trialed, it's ridiculous to suggest this before Astra Zeneca has even been approved because a messy trial wasn't regarded as good enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

doxy79 wrote: »
    Question, if you have a close contact, do you have to tell your employer the details of this close contact, or how does it work?

I'm in an odd situation. My coworker has tested positive. This employee was feeling unwell at work Friday, arranged a test on Saturday, somehow was dopey enough to come to work with the rest of us on Sunday, then got a positive test result this morning.

We knew nothing of all this until this evening. It's the company's policy to not tell us if someone tests positive. So basically, I'm not meant to know that I spent Sunday working closely with someone who was already positive, and they obviously don't think any of us need to be tested.

Am I right in thinking this is ridiculous? Should I be self isolating as a close contact? I don't want to name the close contact to them as they're the type of company that wouldn't take kindly to you overruling their judgement, and would remember it in the future. Can I just tell them I've had a close contact and need to self isolate and refuse to provide any further details?

If you have any symptoms at all - headache, sniffle etc etc probably a good idea to get a test and in the meantime you should isolate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

doxy79 wrote: »

Gobsmacking stuff 11 months into this craic,

You are clearly a close contact , you are obliged to follow public health advise, which is to restrict your movements. That means not going to work, you risk spreading it even more at work if you do have the virus, doesnt matter what way your employer is so inclined. You were exposed to the virus in the workplace by the wreckless colleague of course the employer should be told.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Cork2021

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

lbj666 wrote: »
    Gobsmacking stuff 11 months into this craic,

You are clearly a close contact , you are obliged to follow public health advise, which is to restrict your movements. That means not going to work, you risk spreading it even more at work if you do have the virus, doesnt matter what way your employer is so inclined. You were exposed to the virus in the workplace by the wreckless colleague of course the employer should be told.

Correct in theory. Unfortunately not easy for many people in practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Deal being done with GPs and pharmacists. GPs are self employed so would require this deal in order to dispense vaccines.

"The agreement would see a payment of €60 for each patient vaccinated made to members of the Irish Medical Organisation and Irish Pharmacy Union.

This would cover two injections per member of the public vaccinated."

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1351298590422028290?s=19

• Advertisement

Should GP's be part of this or left to get on with their day to day work? I've struggled to get an appointment this week for something while not life threatening is causing me a bit of grief day to day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement