Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Deal being done with GPs and pharmacists. GPs are self employed so would require this deal in order to dispense vaccines.

"The agreement would see a payment of €60 for each patient vaccinated made to members of the Irish Medical Organisation and Irish Pharmacy Union.

This would cover two injections per member of the public vaccinated."

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1351298590422028290?s=19

Same as they get for a Covid consult, seems fair enough tbh

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Should GP's be part of this or left to get on with their day to day work? I've struggled to get an appointment this week for something while not life threatening is causing me a bit of grief day to day.

From everything on social media, GPS are really looking forward to being part of delivering the vaccine, and will do everything they can to make it a success

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Should GP's be part of this or left to get on with their day to day work? I've struggled to get an appointment this week for something while not life threatening is causing me a bit of grief day to day.

Nice earner for gp's. They've done well out of the pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,941 ✭✭✭✭josip

physioman wrote: »

Better than the dentists

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Yeah if we are operating on only Hospitals, qualified pharmacists and GP's giving doses, taking the fact some of them also have other jobs to do, and taking into account that apparently there is a 15 minute observation period after the vaccine is given. Whats the maximum amount of delay doses that can be delivered I wonder? You would hope thats in a policy document somewhere.

• Advertisement

Yeah if we are operating on only Hospitals, qualified pharmacists and GP's giving doses, taking the fact some of them also have other jobs to do, and taking into account that apparently there is a 15 minute observation period after the vaccine is given. Whats the maximum amount of delay doses that can be delivered I wonder? You would hope thats in a policy document somewhere.

GPs and pharmacists expected to vaccinate 1.5 million people over six months

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0118/1190577-government-vaccine-rollout/

That would be just shy of 60,000 a week or 12000 a day Monday to Friday

Was just thinking there where have we seen large scale rolling up of sleeves before in this country on a regular basis??? ok not nearly on the scale of mass vaccination with risk of a virus but the blood donation system, would that be something they could ape for jabbing folks ?

Was just thinking there where have we seen large scale rolling up of sleeves before in this country on a regular basis??? ok not nearly on the scale of mass vaccination with risk of a virus but the blood donation system, would that be something they could ape for jabbing folks ?

There are already three mass vaccination clinics that were used at the weekend to vaccinate GPs

Stheno wrote: »
    There are already three mass vaccination clinics that were used at the weekend to vaccinate GPs

I'm really just hoping for fanta and tayto after I get my jab ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

I'm not taking the vaccine till more vulnerable people in poorer countries get it.

Suggest other fit young people do the same when Sep comes

• Advertisement

I'm not taking the vaccine till more vulnerable people in poorer countries get it.

Suggest other fit young people do the same when Sep comes

So you'll risk getting covid here or passing to others here so someone in a poor country who you have no way of giving it too or catching it from can be vaccinated???? Maybe you'll be on a flight to hand deliver your vaccine to them yourself.

I get the inequalities at play here but you should not feel guilty for taking a vaccine because we live in a well off country.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'll send the vaccine over along with Mammy's dinner which I didn't finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,941 ✭✭✭✭josip

JTMan wrote: »
    Bloomberg reports here (paywall):

- The European Union’s executive arm will urge member states to set a target for vaccinating at least 70% of the bloc’s population by this summer.
    - The European Commission will also vow to agree with member states by the end of this month on a protocol for vaccination certificates. Such certificates could replace quarantines and test-requirements, proving that “you are no longer high-risk for travel.”
    - Vaccination certificates that would allow travel to resume -- at least for those who receive the jab.

Good idea for vaccination certificates, makes sense that those who have the jab can fly and should encourage vaccine take-up. The over 70's will be heading on the first sun holidays!!

But the up to 30% remaining will mainly be adults under 60 and children, who I believe make up the bulk of summer travelers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,388 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

physioman wrote: »

In the UK, they get GBP 12.58 per dose, or about €14 euro.

Compare that to 30 euro per dose here / 60 per patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

doxy79 wrote: »
    Question, if you have a close contact, do you have to tell your employer the details of this close contact, or how does it work?

I'm in an odd situation. My coworker has tested positive. This employee was feeling unwell at work Friday, arranged a test on Saturday, somehow was dopey enough to come to work with the rest of us on Sunday, then got a positive test result this morning.

We knew nothing of all this until this evening. It's the company's policy to not tell us if someone tests positive. So basically, I'm not meant to know that I spent Sunday working closely with someone who was already positive, and they obviously don't think any of us need to be tested.

Am I right in thinking this is ridiculous? Should I be self isolating as a close contact? I don't want to name the close contact to them as they're the type of company that wouldn't take kindly to you overruling their judgement, and would remember it in the future. Can I just tell them I've had a close contact and need to self isolate and refuse to provide any further details?

In a work context, I assume your workplace is implementing social distancing and mask wearing. In that case, a close contact is defined as a cumulative contact of 15 minutes or more in a work day, face to face, at a distance of less than 2 metres without both parties wearing masks. If you’re following the Covid Safe work protocol, it should be virtually impossible to become a close contact at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Stheno wrote: »
    GPs and pharmacists expected to vaccinate 1.5 million people over six months

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0118/1190577-government-vaccine-rollout/

That would be just shy of 60,000 a week or 12000 a day Monday to Friday

Thanks but my question is more, how many GP's and Pharmacists is there, what through put are they expecting per day while also doing their normal jobs? I know the flu jab is done each year and is "relatively" successful (been told by person in the know that it does causes issues for some places).
    We've already started to see lack of planning in terms of the vaccine rollout and it's relatively small scale at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,711 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Deal being done with GPs and pharmacists. GPs are self employed so would require this deal in order to dispense vaccines.

"The agreement would see a payment of €60 for each patient vaccinated made to members of the Irish Medical Organisation and Irish Pharmacy Union.

This would cover two injections per member of the public vaccinated."

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1351298590422028290?s=19

€60 to stick two needles in to someone. Nice work if you can get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭doxy79

In a work context, I assume your workplace is implementing social distancing and mask wearing. In that case, a close contact is defined as a cumulative contact of 15 minutes or more in a work day, face to face, at a distance of less than 2 metres without both parties wearing masks. If you’re following the Covid Safe work protocol, it should be virtually impossible to become a close contact at work.

We do wear masks but it's a 12 hour shift in a noisy environment where you do have to get quite close to hear or be heard by anybody. Also, certain tasks require you to work closely together at times. We share the same computer, touch the same control panels and work surfaces etc.

Maybe that still doesn't fall within the HSE definition of a close contact, but I definitely feel like there is a chance that I could have been exposed. I'm not going in again anyway without getting a test or self isolating, bit unfair on the people I'm living with so f*** em.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

We do wear masks but it's a 12 hour shift in a noisy environment where you do have to get quite close to hear or be heard by anybody. Also, certain tasks require you to work closely together at times. We share the same computer, touch the same control panels and work surfaces etc.

Maybe that still doesn't fall within the HSE definition of a close contact, but I definitely feel like there is a chance that I could have been exposed. I'm not going in again anyway without getting a test or self isolating, bit unfair on the people I'm living with so f*** em.

I appreciate the logic here. Too much evidence for airborne transmission to ignore, though it's been dragged out of the WHO for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

I don’t disagree with your decision at all, family first.
    Your employer really needs to look at their practices and introduce some more control measures. Shared items like keyboards or control panels need to be cleaned with disinfectant between users and it sounds like they need to do something to aid communication without having to shout in close proximity to one another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭nino1

I was very annoyed to see GP's getting prioritised for the vaccines over other more deserving groups considering the way that they have squirrelled away since the beginning of COVID.
    The vast majority have been doing telephone consultations and if they see a patient you can be damn sure they are questioned in fine detail about any possible symptoms and only seen (in full PPE gear) if they have no symptoms and if its absolutely necessary.
    They are hardly at high risk given this behaviour and have a cheek to be demanding being prioritised over other groups.

Take a person with Covid symptoms that rings up the GP. The GP says don't come anywhere near the surgery we will fax through a prescription to the pharmacy. The same patient then strolls into the pharmacy coughing and spluttering waiting for their prescription to be filled.

Yet the GP staff get the vaccine before pharmacy staff!!

They should be well done the list after the over 70's IMO considering the way they have acted since the pandemic started.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,830 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

So by your own admission the GPs are essentially forced into remote consultation. So that seems like a perfect reason to get them vaccinated, so they can get back in person with patients. I don’t see a problem with that?

My OH is high risk but we don’t have job descriptions that demand we normally be in close proximity to the ill and are happy enough to wait our turn. First responders, health care workers (yes, doctors) and IMO the supply chain for the vaccine - be a bit counter productive if your supply chain was disrupted because the workforce was out sick, then nobody else is getting the vaccine..

Pharmacies IME have all gone to transaction-drawers + glass between pharmacist and patients and they don't need to be in direct contact. They're as much at risk (less, really) than fast food workers tbph. I agree they should be the next on the list, but compared to doctors? Not a chance. To do their jobs properly they should really be in person, doing readings themselves, checking lymph nodes, etc. etc. and not just relying on the word of the patient. Doctors and nurses are also burning through PPE at an unprecedented (and incredibly expensive) rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

nino1 wrote: »
    They should be well done the list after the over 70's IMO considering the way they have acted since the pandemic started.
    The vaccine is not some kind of gold star for good behaviour, Nino1; its a response to a threat. GPs have moved to remote consultations and full PPE precisely because conventional GP practice presents a very high threat. This is evidence that they need to be vaccinated, not that they do not.

Am pretty certain GPs would be much happier to see a patient face to face. GPs see a lot of vulnerable and high risk category patients.
    Giving the 1800 GPs across the country the vaccine was always going to be a high priority. Just like other frontline workers. Maybe now, patients suffering non-covid related problems won't be so worried about going to their GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

I think you have made an argument for GP's being first on the list. Surely they would have no excuse, against your viewpoint, if they got vaccinated.

Which would solve your problem, don't you think?

Is there anybody that Boards think should be vaccinated?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I don't want over 70s and vulnerable people being vaccinated by unvaccinated people.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭con747

My Doctor has a medium sized practise in the midlands and has not hidden in a corner doing nothing but online consultations or phone consultations they have been open throughout this and have seen patients safely and promptly. Maybe you need to change your Doctor OP. I have been with them twice since March with no issues or interrogations just a few basic questions for all theirs and other patients safety. I see no problem in Doctors getting the vaccine.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

nino1 wrote: »
    I was very annoyed to see GP's getting prioritised for the vaccines over other more deserving groups considering the way that they have squirrelled away since the beginning of COVID.
    The vast majority have been doing telephone consultations and if they see a patient you can be damn sure they are questioned in fine detail about any possible symptoms and only seen (in full PPE gear) if they have no symptoms and if its absolutely necessary.
    They are hardly at high risk given this behaviour and have a cheek to be demanding being prioritised over other groups.

Take a person with Covid symptoms that rings up the GP. The GP says don't come anywhere near the surgery we will fax through a prescription to the pharmacy. The same patient then strolls into the pharmacy coughing and spluttering waiting for their prescription to be filled.

Yet the GP staff get the vaccine before pharmacy staff!!

Sometimes GPs need to palpate eg. to try and discern cancerous lumps or inflammation of an organ. You think this isn’t important and indefinite working remotely is grand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,407 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Jeebus, It’s a health crises. A fûckin pandemic

We NEED healthcare professionals such as GPs, well, healthy and alive. They absolutely need to be the first vaccinated.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement