Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Cork2021

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

JTMan wrote: »
    What is the likely vaccine timeline from here for the EMA approved vaccines?

- Oxford/Astrazeneca likely approved late January 2021.
    - J&J likely submission in February 2021 to the EMA with approval in February 2021 or early March 2021.

Then what?
    - Will Novavax submit to the EMA in Q1 2021. Is that the expectation?
    - Do we need to wait until the June/July to get the CureVac vaccine?
    - I assume Sanofi-GSK will be late 2021 if ever.

Are there other EC agreed vaccines on the horizon?

I don't think the EU has bought anything from Novavax.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

Cork2021 wrote: »

That's ~1.89 vaccination/100 people. Keep us right near the top of EU countries.

Honestly I was hoping for a slightly higher number as that's a bit more than 4000 vaccination a day, while my understanding was that the goal we currently have is around 5700. But still good to see good progress, hopefully the numbers are a bit worse because of the weekend and we'll get something better in the next briefings.

Also it's good to see Donnelly sharing this data with the public until we have it updated in the dashboard/app.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

JTMan wrote: »
    - Vaccination certificates that would allow travel to resume -- at least for those who receive the jab.

Wow, so a married couple might have one of them going on vacation, and the other one waiting at home?
    Doesn't sound too nice to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

I don't think the EU has bought anything from Novavax.

https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-eu-vaccines/update-1-exclusive-eu-seeks-more-moderna-covid-19-vaccines-eyes-deals-with-valneva-novavax-idUSL1N2JM1U2

About 200 million doses from Novavax if the deal gets closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Wow, so a married couple might have one of them going on vacation, and the other one waiting at home?
    Doesn't sound too nice to me.

It's nicer than the prospect of the disease spreading through international travel.

It's nicer than the prospect of the disease spreading through international travel.

It would be nicer and fairer if a couple could travel together.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They can wait till next year. Another year taking a holiday in Ireland won't kill anybody.

"Couples won't be able to travel on foreign holidays together" is the definition of a first-world problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,772 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

You should have quick word with the virus about those nicities.

Wake me up when it's all over.

seamus wrote: »
    They can wait till next year. Another year taking a holiday in Ireland won't kill anybody.

"Couples won't be able to travel on foreign holidays together" is the definition of a first-world problem.

Of course local holidays will be the way to go, but this kind of tourism moves little money :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Gael23 wrote: »
    I mean more like who gets Pfizer. AstraZeneca abs so on?
    Medical call, but as AstraZeneca can be stored in a fridge that will be the big one and what many of us are likely to get.

Well they can stay at home together then. The virus doesn't give a fiddler's as to what's nice or what isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Would you stop it.
    Separately is fine :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Boggerman12

The media driven once again hysteria over the use of extra vaccines given out instead of being wasted is a joke.clare Byrne once again talking pure bs and really talking down the Oxford vaccine as only being 70% effective will drive on the anti vaccine crowd.
    Feck sake I’m a dairy farmer and regularly use vaccines from dead ones to live ones that u have to mix up to use.often get a bit extra out of the bottles and don’t waste any of them as there expensive enough to buy in the first place.

The media driven once again hysteria over the use of extra vaccines given out instead of being wasted is a joke.clare Byrne once again talking pure bs and really talking down the Oxford vaccine as only being 70% effective will drive on the anti vaccine crowd.
    Feck sake I’m a dairy farmer and regularly use vaccines from dead ones to live ones that u have to mix up to use.often get a bit extra out of the bottles and don’t waste any of them as there expensive enough to buy in the first place.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the situation in the Coombe, the only thing all this media hysteria has done is ensured that in future, spare vaccines will be dumped rather than risk giving them to the "wrong" person.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

Hmmzis wrote: »

Buying it now rather than 6 months ago is the 2nd major EU cock up after Sanofi.

Well they can stay at home together then. The virus doesn't give a fiddler's as to what's nice or what isn't.

It's not matter of virus.
    The topic was having the travel industry start again after the vaccine. If we need to have people move and spend money, but only half of them can do that, well, it's possible that part of that half won't move at all.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Godot. wrote: »
    Buying it now rather than 6 months ago is the 2nd major EU cock up after Sanofi.
    What was the Sanofi cock up?

And how is the Moderna one a cock up given the results weren't known six months ago? They spread their bets.

It's not matter of virus.
    The topic was having the travel industry start again after the vaccine. If we need to have people move and spend money, but only half of them can do that, well, it's possible that part of that half won't move at all.

That has to be one of the more bizarre statements in a thread about the virus. It's a pretty popular consensus that we're willing to let international travel take a hit in order to spare us from the virus.

In any case you didn't originally say anything about the travel industry until you were called out on how something being "nice" is an irrelevance when it comes to the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the situation in the Coombe, the only thing all this media hysteria has done is ensured that in future, spare vaccines will be dumped rather than risk giving them to the "wrong" person.

Or maybe it will spur on those in charge to make adequate back up lists, instead of conveniently placed relatives.

• Advertisement

The dump or use argument is down to current levels of supplies. Really not convinced of this at all with systems in place but we certainly could see a higher level of hesitancy or reluctance creeping in, which is a much bigger problem.

Multipass wrote: »
    Or maybe it will spur on those in charge to make adequate back up lists, instead of conveniently placed relatives.
    Once we get past hospital Group 2 vaccinations that ceases to be much of a problem.

We are now up to 94,000 vaccinations by Sunday last.

https://twitter.com/DonnellyStephen/status/1351461942595104768

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

In fairness they were given clear guidance on the 12th January, the coombe happened on the 8th. They are supposed to keep a reserve list of 100 ish people of priority who can come in short notice. So binnings will be kept to a minimum.

Does anyone know can similar extra dose be gained from AZ-Oxford?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Well take the jab then. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Well take the jab then. Problem solved.

I think the issue is if one gets it early due to being a HCW for example and the partner doesn’t get it til September or can’t get it at all

• Registered Users Posts: 13,941 ✭✭✭✭josip

is_that_so wrote: »
    Once we get past hospital Group 2 vaccinations that ceases to be much of a problem.

Nearly there now.
    71,000 out of 95,000 in Group 2 (source SBP) done by Sunday night according to the minister.

Will they hold off doing all Group 3 until AZ is approved and available via GPs in a couple of weeks time?
    Or will they bring some Group 3 into hospitals and MVCs to get Pfizer/BioNTech?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    I think the issue is if one gets it early due to being a HCW for example and the partner doesn’t get it til September or can’t get it at all
    Ah right. I got the impression from said poster if one didn’t want to take the vaccine and the other half did.

josip wrote: »
    Nearly there now.
    71,000 out of 95,000 in Group 2 (source SBP) done by Sunday night according to the minister.

Will they hold off doing all Group 3 until AZ is approved and available via GPs in a couple of weeks time?
    They have to do GPs and then pharmacists before Group 3 anyway. With that network of 75,000 plus some MVCs and hospitals there's no reason we can't go to 100K and above a week pretty quickly. AZ is probably preferred for mass vaccinations on account of the storage requirements so yeah that's likely to be GP/pharmacies shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

josip wrote: »
    Nearly there now.

Still have dose 2 to go so I'd imagine group 3 won't be getting done until AZ is approved anyway cos of that. I'd imagine we have people getting dose 2 from late this week on which will eat up the Pfizer supplies we're getting

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement