Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Hmmzis wrote: »
    There will, that's for sure. It would be an interesting thread from a molecular biology and immunology point of view. Even before the current variants reared their heads there were some publications describing that mutations at site 484 could be problematic. Cell passages with the virus and antibodies/plasma all seemed to come to the same/similar conclusions.
    Just curious, why is that definitely the case? There is probably some underlying molecular biology reason, but if you can explain in a few lines, I'd be interested to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Just curious, why is that definitely the case? There is probably some underlying molecular biology reason, but if you can explain in a few lines, I'd be interested to know.

There's a very interesting article on the BBC website that you don't have to be Hmmzis to understand.:D

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20210119-covid-19-variants-how-the-virus-will-mutate-in-the-future

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Some serious jabbing going on in the UK..
    Albeit they’ve let people have a longer wait for the second dose!

https://twitter.com/coronavirusgoo1/status/1351944001050570757?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

polesheep wrote: »
    There's a very interesting article on the BBC website that you don't have to be Hmmzis to understand.:D

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20210119-covid-19-variants-how-the-virus-will-mutate-in-the-future

A good read, certainly, but I'm not sure I feel any better after it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Rte are great at reporting virus deaths but strangely enough do not even mention Vaccine deaths 55 deaths so far in america 29 in Norway...if "truth matters" as Rte says it does then why aren't they reporting it

Strange how the media always report negative news yet when it comes to the vaccine its all positive...do the vaccine deaths and people left crippled by it not matter

Perhaps you could post a link to these 'vaccine deaths'?

And explain exactly what you mean by a vaccine death?

• Advertisement

A good read, certainly, but I'm not sure I feel any better after it!

But it does indicate the amount of work being done.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭y2k2020

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Some serious jabbing going on in the UK..
    Albeit they’ve let people have a longer wait for the second dose!

Impressive alright but still a good 6 months to do all the adults in the UK at that rate and another 15-20m U18's

Wonder what they are gonna do with the kid's, can't just let the virus have free rein at them

Hmmzis wrote: »
    There will, that's for sure. It would be an interesting thread from a molecular biology and immunology point of view. Even before the current variants reared their heads there were some publications describing that mutations at site 484 could be problematic. Cell passages with the virus and antibodies/plasma all seemed to come to the same/similar conclusions.

There are numerous fascinating and valuable insights one could get by having constructive discussions about it.

By getting plasma samples from convalescents of the new variants we can run the same experiments to inform us of the next steps the virus might take.

That could greatly enhance future vaccine constructs and antibody selection for mAB cocktails.

Not sure on AZ/Oxford, think it wll be the first to fall imo, with RNA holding up better

I don't believe in coincidence normally and find it strange that all the variant's have come from countries where AZ/Oxford have had stage 3 trials ( Japan, UK, Brazil, South Africa )

There vaccine just seems flawed imo, once your injected with an adenoviral vector-based vaccine, you won’t be able to repeat it because the immunity against the adenoviral carrier will keep interfering, it could garner immunity, but it would be temporary as you will have seen that vector before, when you get that shot in a years time.

We don’t know, what we don’t know and we have no idea what surprises we might find in a virus that we’ve only been aware of for a year

I believe that this virus is going to change and that the vaccines we have approved right now are just not going to be as effective as we think they are

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

What vaccine are they planning to give to the over 70’s?
    I thought it was Pfizer’s but if the plan is for GP’s to administer the vaccines at surgery’s it can’t be the Pfizer one?

What vaccine are they planning to give to the over 70’s?
    I thought it was Pfizer’s but if the plan is for GP’s to administer the vaccines at surgery’s it can’t be the Pfizer one?

GP's get Oxford

Good point by the way, can you choose?

I would be refusing Oxford myself, don't think it's superior to Pfizer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

y2k2020 wrote: »
    GP's get Oxford

Imagine being entitled enough to think you can choose..... people dying and you think you can choose :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

GP's get Oxford

Its vaccine or no vaccine, the which one will be a medical decision made for you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

GP's get Oxford

Talk about self entitlement. Anyway you came on here with your ‘expert’ opinion that the vaccines won’t be effective so it shouldn’t matter what one you’ll be getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Posters like that can't help but show their true colours eventually.

They keep up the act for a while but always let the mask drop eventually with a mind bendingly stupid comment like that.

D.Q wrote: »
    Posters like that can't help but show their true colours eventually.

They keep up the act for a while but always let the mask drop eventually with a mind bendingly stupid comment like that.

Especially the “new regs”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Its vaccine or no vaccine, the which one will be a medical decision made for you

While it will be a decision made for people, anyone with particular conditions should have a dialogue with their GP. Research/advocates for certain conditions are looking at what vaccine may not unsuitable for a given condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

So Hungary, who are in the EU, have approved the AstraZeneca vaccine AND the Sputnik vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Not sure on AZ/Oxford, think it wll be the first to fall imo, with RNA holding up better

I don't believe in coincidence normally and find it strange that all the variant's have come from countries where AZ/Oxford have had stage 3 trials ( Japan, UK, Brazil, South Africa )

There vaccine just seems flawed imo, once your injected with an adenoviral vector-based vaccine, you won’t be able to repeat it because the immunity against the adenoviral carrier will keep interfering, it could garner immunity, but it would be temporary as you will have seen that vector before, when you get that shot in a years time.

We don’t know, what we don’t know and we have no idea what surprises we might find in a virus that we’ve only been aware of for a year

I believe that this virus is going to change and that the vaccines we have approved right now are just not going to be as effective as we think they are
    You think the Oxford vaccine has led to variants in the UK, Brazil and SA? Bit of a wild claim that one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

I must say I'm loving the new immunologists and epidemiologists that have popped up in here lately! :pac:

funnydoggy wrote: »
    I must say I'm loving the new immunologists and epidemiologists that have popped up in here lately! :pac:

Have you noticed most of them joined up in Jan 2021.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Micky 32 wrote: »

And seem to have a dour outlook on anything vaccine related.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Micky 32 wrote: »

Too busy working on vaccines and rollout to join up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

So Hungary, who are in the EU, have approved the AstraZeneca vaccine AND the Sputnik vaccine.

Fair play, hopefully this lights a fire under the slowness and beaurocratically inflexible EMA and commission not even allowing delivery.

I will wait too hear from posters on this thread that , you see it's actually a bad thing to deliver doses and set up to vaccinate quickly if the bureaucracy hasn't ok'd it even though all that was wanted was delivery of the doses themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭Azatadine

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Fair play, hopefully this lights a fire under the slowness and beaurocratically inflexible EMA and commission not even allowing delivery.

I will wait too hear from posters on this thread that , you see it's actually a bad thing to deliver doses and set up to vaccinate quickly if the bureaucracy hasn't ok'd it even though all that was wanted was delivery of the doses themselves

Can you imagine the uproar if the vaccine was rushed through and then a issue is found with it.

Calm down and let the EMA do its job.

Toys Cars etc all have to approved before sale. You don't get a delivery of a car before it's passed it safety test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Doc07

Not demanding, just politely asking. Have you a link to any news/statement that the AstraZeneca vaccine has been issued emergency use approval in Hungary, ideally with a quote from Hungary Dept of Health/Government and/or their national regulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,711 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Boris Johnson on Wednesday declared that Britain was ready to quickly deploy tweaked vaccines to combat new variants of coronavirus, as the number of daily Covid-19 deaths in the UK hit a record of 1,820

See, this for me kinda confirms problems. It doesn't take much reading between the lines.

Is Johnson all but confirming what's already suspected?

See, this for me kinda confirms problems. It doesn't take much reading between the lines.

It doesn't necessarily imply problems, however, if vaccines require tweaking it means vaccines will likely be aimed at the vulnerable, as with the flu, with ongoing research to find a lasting vaccine.

Doc07 wrote: »
    Not demanding, just politely asking. Have you a link to any news/statement that the AstraZeneca vaccine has been issued emergency use approval in Hungary, ideally with a quote from Hungary Dept of Health/Government and/or their national regulator.

It's being reported by origu.hu, Government and Regulator have both declined to comment. Wiki tells me Origu.hu have a habit of publishing "fake news" and are big supporters of Orban.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

If you care to link the whole article instead of a selective passage which you want to interpret, he was asked by an MP about approval of any vaccine in the future that would be a second gen and tweeked vaccine to which he replied that any manufacturers that require a change in vaccine will be turned around quickly by the MHRA.

The phrase if required was used multiple times.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement