Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

irishgeo wrote: »
    Can you imagine the uproar if the vaccine was rushed through and then a issue is found with it.

Calm down and let the EMA do its job.

Toys Cars etc all have to approved before sale. You don't get a delivery of a car before it's passed it safety test.

Yes because storing a vaccine in a warehouse in City West is so so so much more risky than storing a warehouse in Belgium. It might escape the Dublin warehouse and go rampaging around killing people right if the EMA hasn't ticked the box is that it?
    Also since we can store the Pfizer vaccine that's much harder we can definitely store the easier to handle vaccines

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

If you care to link the whole article instead of a selective passage which you want to interpret, he was asked by an MP about approval of any vaccine in the future that would be a second gen and tweeked vaccine to which he replied that any manufacturers that require a change in vaccine will be turned around quickly by the MHRA.

The phrase if required was used multiple times.

You’re dealing with wishful thinking mixed in with a WUM.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Micky 32 wrote: »
    You’re dealing with wishful thinking mixed in with a WUM.

Oh I know

Its really not. Its the code of regulations that cover the safety of all medicinal products

He reckons all the EMA were waiting on to approve the vaccine was Quality data, which is in his view "what it's made of".
    Code of regulations and all that goes with it isn't his cup of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Augeo wrote: »
    He reckons all the EMA were waiting on to approve the vaccine was Quality data, which is in his view "what it's made of".
    Code of regulations and all that goes with it isn't his cup of tea.
    Thanks for following me, welcome to the thread :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭y2k2020

AdamD wrote: »
    You think the Oxford vaccine has led to variants in the UK, Brazil and SA? Bit of a wild claim that one

It's a coincidence

If such a thing exists

Imagine being entitled enough to think you can choose..... people dying and you think you can choose :D

By the time its get around to a fit 31 year old, 90kg, mostly muscle male like myself you'll probably be given the choice of paying a bit extra for premium vaccines like Pfizer

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Azatadine wrote: »

I like Luke. Knows his stuff and takes covid seriously but also able to deliver positivity and not constant scaremongering.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

y2k2020 wrote: »
    By the time its get around to a fit 31 year old, 90kg, mostly muscle male like myself you'll probably be given the choice of paying a bit extra for premium vaccines like Pfizer
    alright lad we get it

See, this for me kinda confirms problems. It doesn't take much reading between the lines.

Is Johnson all but confirming what's already suspected?

Probably yes, Porton Down Bio Safety Level 4 lab are supposedly growing the SA and Brazil variants now, like they did the UK strain

Hancock the weasel was white as a ghost last week when he was questioned on the Brazilian variant

They were correct on the UK strain and its contagious properties in fairness to them, when the experts on this thread and many more said that 40-70% is a load of rubbish, its all a brexit push

Sure what would Hancock and Boris know

Will I bring up a few of those posts?

Enjoyable reading

• Advertisement

Stark wrote: »
    I like Luke. Knows his stuff and takes covid seriously but also able to deliver positivity and not constant scaremongering.

In fairness to him

He's being calling it correct since Jan 2020, knows his stuff.

Dr Fauci, WHO Tedros and our own Tony H have made some laughable calls and predictions in comparison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Newuser2

They’re not “letting it out” though? It would be stored in each country’s vaccine distribution centre. I cannot defend it. Lives being lost every day and we’re saying ah shur we can’t do that...

Logic tells me they can't let it out until it's approved

What if some was stolen and distributed and turned out to cause cancer

Sure they'd be sued for billions

funnydoggy wrote: »
    I must say I'm loving the new immunologists and epidemiologists that have popped up in here lately! :pac:

Its good that we have so many surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

Probably yes, Porton Down Bio Safety Level 4 lab are supposedly growing the SA and Brazil variants now, like they did the UK strain

Hancock the weasel was white as a ghost last week when he was questioned on the Brazilian variant

They were correct on the UK strain and its contagious properties in fairness to them, when the experts on this thread and many more said that 40-70% is a load of rubbish, its all a brexit push

Enjoyable reading

Bringing up old posts already when you only registered today?

fm wrote: »
    Bringing up old posts already when you only registered today?

I've been reading without an account for years

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If you do start digging back to old posts do not be surprised if you lose posting privileges here

Enjoyable reading

Porton Down you say, you were here before in a different guise

• Registered Users Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The Covid variants have been challenged with serum, taken from people who were vaccinated (Germany I think) originally in the trial and found to be completely effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭political analyst

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/maternity-nurses-left-waiting-for-vaccine-as-management-given-jabs-39988671.html

Why was it not ensured that healthcare workers were vaccinated before admin workers?
    Frontline staff in the second largest maternity hospital outside Dublin had their scheduled vaccines cancelled last week. However, management, administration and even maintenance staff in their hospital group were vaccinated the week before.

Staff in another smaller hospital in the same area had to go public on national media to beg to be vaccinated last week.

Nurses at the University Maternity Hospital, Limerick (UMHL), where 5,000 babies are delivered a year, are now highly anxious about the delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Datacore

Its actually explicitly stated in the regulations governing medicinal products within the EU, that the Qualified Person within a manufacturer cannot sign of batch for release prior to market authorisation. By asking them to deliver to the customer prior to authorisation you are essentially asking the QP to break the law.

Now there is nothing preventing the manufacturer moving product to its own distribution centres

https://ec.europa.eu/health/sites/health/files/files/eudralex/vol-4/v4_an16_201510_en.pdf

Surely a biological agent that is neither approved for nor intended for use at that stage can simply be stored at a site in Ireland until it is approved.

There’s no intention to a administer an unapproved biopharma product. It’s simply being warehoused.

When it is approved it surely could then be distributed. AstraZeneca just have to provide the paperwork to clear it for release.

If it’s never approved, or there’s some issue, we’ve a bunch of fridges full of vaccine that needs to go back or be dumped.

Surely we could just say. This facility is an AstraZeneca storage unit, leased and operated by AstraZeneca as part of their distribution system.

I can’t see what the hell the issue is. It’s already being made and stored somewhere.

It would actually make sense to have it in place preemptively all over Europe.

It’s just adding time for no reason.

At the end of the day, we can probably just airfreight a load of it in in a few hours one way or the other. It’s not particularly complex to transport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Datacore

Newuser2 wrote: »
    Logic tells me they can't let it out until it's approved

What if some was stolen and distributed and turned out to cause cancer

Sure they'd be sued for billions

If someone stole and distributed an unlicensed medicine from a storage facility, it would be nothing to do with the manufacturer or distribution company.

What if you stole an experimental drug or a chemotherapeutic agent or something? Or injected yourself with some random product?

Doesn’t really make sense as an argument.

Nobody would be sued, other than the person who supplied stolen products or administered it.

Datacore wrote: »
    If someone stole and distributed an unlicensed medicine from a storage facility, it would be nothing to do with the manufacturer or distribution company.

What if you stole an experimental drug or a chemotherapeutic agent or something? Or injected yourself with some random product?

Doesn’t really make sense as an argument.

Nobody would be sued, other than the person who supplied stolen products or administered it.
    They have distributed the vaccine before approval

Lawyers will be looking for a big slice off them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭Azatadine

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55734257

Context on the Israeli early findings. Good news.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 199 ✭✭Morries Wigs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Single dose or two? It's not clear.

Edit: its single, I see it now! Great result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Brilliant news to wake up to from J&J. The single dose could be the game changer in getting us back to normal quicker than planned!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

What sort of timeline are we looking at for this?
    And what amount of doses have Europe ordered and how quickly have they said they can deliver once they’re given the go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

salmocab wrote: »
    What sort of timeline are we looking at for this?
    And what amount of doses have Europe ordered and how quickly have they said they can deliver once they’re given the go ahead.

February for approval submission to EMA, 200 million doses with the option of 200 million more. Not sure on logistics of getting it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Le Bruise wrote: »
    February for approval submission to EMA, 200 million doses with the option of 200 million more. Not sure on logistics of getting it here.

Cheers could be great news so

• Advertisement

A word of caution - this is phase I/II data only. The wider phase III data will give more accuracy on the estimates of efficacy. Of course, this could just as easily be higher than lower than the data already shared.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement