Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Cole wrote: »
    Going by current progress, anybody here with a little insight into which vaccine is likely to be used when we get to group 3 on the list - people aged 70 and older? From my layman's knowledge, I'd prefer to see my parents get the higher efficacy Pfizer or Moderna...I'll take whatever I'm offered later.

Very difficult to predict. In an ideal world they would use the mRNA vaccines for the highest risk people and AZ to the others (eg: healthy over 65's, key workers, etc.).
    But I just don't see that level of organisation, I think the priority will be to get everyone covered (rightly so), the systems will not be able to plan and deliver specifc vaccines to specific recipients. My 2 cents, hope I am wrong :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

Going by current progress, anybody here with a little insight into which vaccine is likely to be used when we get to group 3 on the list - people aged 70 and older? From my layman's knowledge, I'd prefer to see my parents get the higher efficacy Pfizer or Moderna...I'll take whatever I'm offered later.

Anyone in Group 3 who gets it from their GP will get AZ.
    I would imagine that if someone wants to get BioNTech they can go to an MVC to get it.
    I think there will be only a small number of Moderna vaccines available in Feb, by the end of which I expect the majority of Group 3 to have received their first dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Cole

josip wrote: »
    Anyone in Group 3 who gets it from their GP will get AZ.
    I would imagine that if someone wants to get BioNTech they can go to an MVC to get it.
    I think there will be only a small number of Moderna vaccines available in Feb, by the end of which I expect the majority of Group 3 to have received their first dose.

That's what I assume too, but I have an uncle in England who got a Pfizer jab in his GP surgery last week, so I presume GPs with the right set-up will be able to deliver Pfizer.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,475 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Everyone in Ireland will be offered a COVID-19 vaccine before September, the Health Minister has told the Dáil

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Oxford is expected to be the big one on the grounds of storage requirements but you'll have no choice. Just awe ek to go for approval on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

Hungary have made a bit of a show of approving AZ in advance of EMA approval, but they won't be able to procure stocks in advance in any case so plus ca change. They also approved Sputnik V. I've said it before but I wish Gamaleya would seek EMA approval for Sputnik V as well, but they don't seem to want to walk the walk.
    https://www.politico.eu/article/hungary-oks-oxford-astrazeneca-sputnik-coronavirus-vaccines/

Here is a beautiful picture for your screensavers, or for answering your kids when they ask what a coronavirus looks like:
    https://nanographics.at/projects/sars-cov-2/360.html
    https://www.dw.com/en/researchers-succeed-in-taking-first-3d-photo-of-coronavirus/a-56290365

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Eli Lilly's antibody therapy reduced nursing home residents’ risk of symptomatic Covid-19 by as much as 80% when used preventively in a study. Good results, but not sure if this is of much use when vaccines produce better results.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-21/lilly-s-antibody-helps-prevent-covid-19-in-nursing-home-study

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭irishlad.

Are we due an update on the vaccine numbers today? Usually a Thursday i think

irishlad. wrote: »
    Are we due an update on the vaccine numbers today? Usually a Thursday i think
    Yeah, HSE briefing is usually from 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

121,900 vaccinated, 73,100 HCWs and 48,800 in long term care

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

As of last night 121,900 vaccinations.

48,800 in long term care facilities
    73,100 in 7 hospital groups and 3 mass vaccination centres.

Small number of these will of course be 2nd vaccinations as they've now begun, hopefully the 2nd dose breakdown is added to the hub in the next while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

In the interest of public health as a whole, it is very unlikely they will be given a choice. Because obviously nearly everyone would go with whats perceived to be the slightly better one.

Keep in mind when they say 90-95% efficacy, the other 5-10% are likely to have a far less severe illness than if they weren't jabbed. Astra Zeneca had a dramatic drop in those infected ending up in hospital.

Now there is a little doubt with Astra Zeneca because the amount of data on over 55s is short of ideal, the UK are confident it is as or nearly as effective in older groups , based on the trial data on vulnerable groups under 55. The EMA sound like they are being more cautious about.
    You might think great in the off chance it is not approved for over 55, "Pfizer/moderna it is", but rollout out to over 70s would be delayed significantly as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

For some reason 121,000 feels low. Maybe it's because it feels like this month has been 8 weeks long already :D

Good progress when you run the figures. 2.5 doses per 100 population.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

As of last night 121,900 vaccinations.

48,800 in long term care facilities
    73,100 in 7 hospital groups and 3 mass vaccination centres.

Small number of these will of course be 2nd vaccinations as they've now begun, hopefully the 2nd dose breakdown is added to the hub in the next while.

About 6300 a day since last weeks update - looks good to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

seamus wrote: »
    For some reason 121,000 feels low. Maybe it's because it feels like this month has been 8 weeks long already :D

~2.5/100 people would put at us third in the EU, after Malta and Denmark. (chart not updated yet obviously)

chrome_pp84tZHA4f.png

seamus wrote: »

Probably because the HCW numbers have been pretty static for a good while, care homes are just a black box!

200 long term care facilities vaccinated as of yesterday, remainder finished by Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭vrusinov

Yeah, feels low but objectively it's decent progress given the circumstances & supply. Hope we get more soon.

Is there a week-by-week forecast for pfizer & moderna delivery? Like how much did we got this week or how much would we get after pfizer is done with their upgrades (next week?)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭y2k2020

200 long term care facilities vaccinated as of yesterday, remainder finished by Sunday

Nice

Wife's one in Limerick got done this week. Alot more too it than people imagine, they had to get residents up 2 hours early for it and still vaccinators had to wait around for them. Trying to get the residents in the Dementia unit's to do anything is like talking to toddlers

Pretty impressed we've them all done this week.

What's next, mass vaccination of hospital's?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Is that confusing? Sending two slides with different dates/numbers? This one is to 17th and is 94,000. The other is to 20th and shows 121000?

Maybe they tweeted the wrong one?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭plodder

2.4% of population. Not a bad start.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

plodder wrote: »
    2.4% of population. Not a bad start.
    It's good alright although I still fear we'll see:

"Joke of a country - Denmark's on 3.14%!"
    " 2.4%? The whole world is laughing at us."
    "Donnelly should resign over this. Pathetic."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

ixoy wrote: »
    It's good alright although I still fear we'll see:

"Joke of a country - Denmark's on 3.14%!"
    " 2.4%? The whole world is laughing at us."
    "Donnelly should resign over this. Pathetic."

You forgot; "_______ Denis O'Brien _______".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Apogee

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

From an uninformed point of view it really seems like a kick in the crotch, the end is in sight and only now strains seem to be popping up absolutely everywhere. Really stubborn disease. Let's hope it'll only take a few tweaks to the vaccines if it comes to that.

From an uninformed point of view it really seems like a kick in the crotch, the end is in sight and only now strains seem to be popping up absolutely everywhere. Really stubborn disease. Let's hope it'll only take a few tweaks to the vaccines if it comes to that.

It is concerning alright

When you put selective pressure on anything, it adapts.

I'd like a new thread on it here, because it's going to be pretty important soon, we will be hearing about it alot more in our daily lives and of 2nd generation vaccine's to combat it

Just making sure you know there is a difference, your link was about the flu, not covid-19 :P

I know, we never had a vaccine for the latter before ;)

Not like I can show a study for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,563 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

y2k2020 wrote: »
    I know, we never had a vaccine for the latter before ;)

Not like I can show a study for it

When you conduct your scientific studies and have them peer reviewed, let us know.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement