Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

y2k2020 wrote: »
    Nice

Wife's one in Limerick got done this week. Alot more too it than people imagine, they had to get residents up 2 hours early for it and still vaccinators had to wait around for them. Trying to get the residents in the Dementia unit's to do anything is like talking to toddlers

Pretty impressed we've them all done this week.

What's next, mass vaccination of hospital's?
    There are another 25K or so in hospitals. Next week we will see the start of Round 2. We should also see a lot more GPs and other community personnel vaccinated in preparation for Group 3 in late February/early March.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭y2k2020

When you conduct your scientific studies and have them peer reviewed, let us know.

Should we only let virologists talk in this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Posting a journal article that isn't peer-reviewed is like posting a tabloid newspaper, nobody trusts it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

It is concerning alright

When you put selective pressure on anything, it adapts.

I'd like a new thread on it here, because it's going to be pretty important soon, we will be hearing about it alot more in our daily lives and of 2nd generation vaccine's to combat it

WE have known from a long way back they only way of getting a handle on this virus was through vaccines.
    Have we not had enough anti vaccine and Bill Gates conspiracy nut jobs attempting to put people off taking vaccines without giving them more air with idle speculation ?
    That is unless you have some other theory on how we can deal with this virus other than through vaccination

New strain found in the US

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.01.18.21249786v1

Purely coincidental I'm sure, but that's another S protein mutation thus far to correlate with the locations and timespan of major vaccine candidate trials, held in the following locations,UK, South Africa, Brazil, Japan ,US

Surely its matter of time before India announces a variant with their high volume of infected and trials that took place?

Vaccines can drive selection pressure on viruses. Plenty of literature on this topic and the seasonal flu and how it mutates to survive

Have we pissed Covid off and it's changing?

Cal.20C, forst noticed in Denmark in March 2020 and California in May. Come on, your completely spoofing at this stage.

And like Solar2021 before you pushing some bizarre misinformation, for some unknown reason. Any updates from Porton Down recently?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,563 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Not at all!

But we should listen to them more than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Have we pissed Covid off ?

No but i’d say it’s more likely that the vaccines piss the lockdown/misery merchants and drama queens off.

The vaccines will end the Covid 19 pandemic make no mistake. It won’t get rid of SARS COV 2 but that will become endemic and nothing more than ordinary head colds and ordinary flus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Log off, will ya?

Cal.20C, forst noticed in Denmark in March 2020 and California in May. Come on, your completely spoofing at this stage.

Maybe so but it's coming, no harm talking about it.

We will turn on the news some day and it won't be good.

Maybe so but it's coming, no harm talking about it.

We will turn on the news some day and it won't be good.

AHA! Finally, a doom merchant. You really want things to be bad, just admit it there, lad.

But as you said, you are mostly 91kg of muscle, so you are pretty much immune to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,765 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Who's to say there weren't multiple mutations similar to the UK/South Africa ones before the vaccine trials began? And we all know how good those trial results were.

Just a thought.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    No but i’d say it’s more likely that the vaccines piss the lockdown/misery merchants and drama queens off.

The vaccines will end the Covid 19 pandemic make no mistake. It won’t get rid of SARS COV 2 but that will become endemic and nothing more than ordinary head colds and ordinary flus.

I hope your right, really do

It will be a nice post to quote in a few months though, will be a bit like the early posts in Jan/Feb on this forum that said Sars Cov2 won't come here, Sars never did, they were many that look very silly now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

I hope your right, really do

It will be a nice post to quote in a few months though, will be a bit like the early posts in Jan/Feb on this forum that said Sars Cov2 won't come here, Sars never did, they were many that look very silly now.

There are many dead too. In the scheme of things turning out to be wrong isn't too bad. But you definitely take notes if you like.

Hmmzis wrote: »
    ORF1a: I4205V, ORF1b:D1183Y, S: S13I;W152C;L452R

That's hardly a 'strain', the only interesting change is L452R as it's going from non-polar to polar and the charge changes, making the residue stick out more as it's now hydrophilic. It has been already been described as affecting some mAB binding and has been in the US at least since May last year.

Yes

About half of the meat packing ones are the same, but the prototype strain from the paper has 8 variants while the CAL.20C has 23. They both share the C214T, C1059T, C3037T, C14408T, A23403G, and G25563T, but those are mostly 20C clades defining variants.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

y2k2020 do not post in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

PCeeeee wrote: »
    There are many dead too. In the scheme of things turning out to be wrong isn't too bad. But you definitely take notes if you like.

It's also pretty certain to be some sort of new account that remembers to bring up those posts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭VonLuck

As of last night 121,900 vaccinations.

48,800 in long term care facilities
    73,100 in 7 hospital groups and 3 mass vaccination centres.

Small number of these will of course be 2nd vaccinations as they've now begun, hopefully the 2nd dose breakdown is added to the hub in the next while.

Donnelly on Newstalk just now saying 112,000 as of yesterday evening. I'm guessing he just mixed up the 1 & 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭plodder

VonLuck wrote: »
    Donnelly on Newstalk just now saying 112,000 as of yesterday evening. I'm guessing he just mixed up the 1 & 2?
    I heard that and he said it twice :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Yevon wrote: »
    So it looks like the goal of vaccinating all long term care residents and staff by this Sunday isn't going to be met, 6,500 will need to be completed next week.

Apparently the delay is due to outbreaks in some settings. Hopefully that's true as it's a fairly significant number to miss the target by this early in proceedings.

I'd preferred to hear that it was delayed due to performance issues to be honest rather than such serious reasons.

Edit think about it , thats 6,500 staff and very vulnerable people exposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Yevon wrote: »
    So it looks like the goal of vaccinating all long term care residents and staff by this Sunday isn't going to be met, 6,500 will need to be completed next week.

Apparently the delay is due to outbreaks in some settings. Hopefully that's true as it's a fairly significant number to miss the target by this early in proceedings.

With the number of cases we've had in the community I'm surprised it's not more.

IIRC they want people recovered for 4 weeks before giving a vaccine. If there's a cluster of 3 I a nursing home they won't do that nursing home so as to reduce the amount of nursing homes they need a second visit to do the first injection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

El Sueño wrote: »
    Who's to say there weren't multiple mutations similar to the UK/South Africa ones before the vaccine trials began? And we all know how good those trial results were.

Just a thought.

The UK has been sequencing samples continuously since the pandemic began, I think its actually been one of the best places in the world (possibly the best) for this.

https://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/cambridge-to-spearhead-ps20million-alliance-to-map-spread-of-covid-19-coronavirus

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Are all these vaccines of the same quality I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

What are you trying to insinuate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

It’s going to be like this for the next 8/9 months isn’t it?

Doom merchants (many of them new reg’s) appearing out of nowhere to have a pop at the vaccines and jump on any random article that even insinuates a notion of a problem through mutation/efficacy/anti-vax/roll-out delays.

surely we all want this to end and the end game is vaccination. If a concrete problem emerges, we’ll just have to deal with it. But there are far too many relishing in the possible negatives rather than the probable positives.

No reason at all to think otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭Polar101

Hmmzis wrote: »
    going from non-polar to polar

Well now I'm scared.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

No reason at all to think otherwise.

Some guy was on the radio saying the Pfizer vaccine was being given to the old people because it was the best one, was surprised nobody picked him up on it so was just wondering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Some guy was on the radio saying the Pfizer vaccine was being given to the old people because it was the best one, was surprised nobody picked him up on it so was just wondering.

It was the best, because it was the only one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement