Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Le Bruise wrote: »
    It’s going to be like this for the next 8/9 months isn’t it?

Doom merchants (many of them new reg’s) appearing out of nowhere to have a pop at the vaccines and jump on any random article that even insinuates a notion of a problem through mutation/efficacy/anti-vax/roll-out delays.

surely we all want this to end and the end game is vaccination. If a concrete problem emerges, we’ll just have to deal with it. But there are far too many relishing in the possible negatives rather than the probable positives.

Yep unfortunately this thread is going to be a rollercoaster for the months to come especially with the “new strains that emerge” on this thread :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

https://twitter.com/hildabast/status/1352379468799590400?s=21

Im hoping next Monday seen as these announcements seems to coinicide with the markets opening

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

How long for J&J vaccine?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Gael23 wrote: »
    How long for J&J vaccine?

EMA approval should be a similar timescale to Pfizer. I've heard absolutely zero rollout plans other than they hope to have billion out by the end of 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭Russman

snotboogie wrote: »
    EMA approval should be a similar timescale to Pfizer. I've heard absolutely zero rollout plans other than they hope to have billion out by the end of 2021.

Will it be produced in both the EU & US does anyone know ? Will we be likely to get decent quantities soon or will it potentially like Moderna ? I know J&J are bigger but were they funded by Warp Speed and would that lead to the US getting the lions share ?
    Just a general wondering, not questioning you Op !

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    Maybe it was overly optmistic of me, but I was hoping to see tangible results in Israel sooner. Their infection numbers are still huge and not really dropping.

But I guess it's only been a month, it might be the end of month 2 before the results are visible in daily numbers.
    Infections will take a while to turn once they reach a certain level.
    As posted above the rate of serious illness is dropping almost perfectly within 2 weeks as the trials suggested they would.
    From an uninformed point of view it really seems like a kick in the crotch, the end is in sight and only now strains seem to be popping up absolutely everywhere. Really stubborn disease. Let's hope it'll only take a few tweaks to the vaccines if it comes to that.
    The vaccines are all targeting (as far as I know) the part of the virus that allows it to infect the human cells. That which makes it so spreadable is what's being targetted.

On the note of being prepared for future vaccines, similar posts have been made before; the technology behind these vaccines has been theorised and in development for a long time. It was fairly close to being ready, but it needed a use case to get it over the line. The whole idea is that it's basically a plug-and-play vaccine. So should new viruses come along trials should be ready to go much quicker.

If it turns out we don't need annual vaccination for Covid I wonder if it would be worthwhile to replace some of our current vaccines with RNA vaccines. At least that way capacity will be ready to be spun up in future if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,162 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Good news Friday.
    NEW DELHI: India’s government has cleared commercial exports of COVID-19 vaccines, with the first consignments to be shipped to Brazil and Morocco on Friday, the Indian foreign secretary told Reuters.
    The shots developed by UK-based drugmaker AstraZeneca and Oxford University are being manufactured at the Serum Institute of India, the world’s biggest producer of vaccines, which has received orders from countries across the world.
    The Indian government had held off exporting doses until it began its own domestic immunization program last weekend. Earlier this week, it sent free supplies to neighboring countries including Bhutan, Maldives, Bangladesh and Nepal.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

Russman wrote: »
    Will it be produced in both the EU & US does anyone know ? Will we be likely to get decent quantities soon or will it potentially like Moderna ? I know J&J are bigger but were they funded by Warp Speed and would that lead to the US getting the lions share ?
    Just a general wondering, not questioning you Op !

https://twitter.com/megtirrell/status/1352415964051230728?s=21
    I think US will get a big share but the EU also in line. Problem with Moderna is that they only had production facilities in the US.

I feel we are going to be into annual/periodic vaccine territory, at least for a couple of years until we get some handle on it, maybe for good, with a standardised cocktail in the mix approved by WHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

I feel we are going to be into annual/periodic vaccine territory, at least for a couple of years until we get some handle on it, maybe for good, with a standardised cocktail in the mix approved by WHO.

If the future is clearly made of annual/periodic vaccines, why do they (all across Europe) set up temporary vaccination hot spots and centres, rather than using permanent and dedicated buildings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

If the future is clearly made of annual/periodic vaccines, why do they (all across Europe) set up temporary vaccination hot spots and centres, rather than using permanent and dedicated buildings?
    Like other annual shots some might need them more than others and existing infrastructure can take care of it. If it is not impacting health systems it's not such a big issue anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Why are countries really thinking about enforcing quarantines on travel etc now . 1 year on . While vaccines are here . The cynic in me would think they know they aren't going to work on new variants .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Why are countries really thinking about enforcing quarantines on travel etc now . 1 year on . While vaccines are here . The cynic in me would think they know they aren't going to work on new variants .

Probably because the vaccination campaign has been slowing down a lot in certain countries, mainly due to poor planning, and it is clear that they will not achieve the target they had dreamed of.

I think its more that things which were unpalatable a year ago for idealogical reasons, are on the table now, particularly with the new variants.

It's more in response to this faster spreading variant. At 50% higher it makes getting R0 under 1 much harder and puts existing strategies under huge pressure and in some cases close to collapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I would assume that it's to allow countries to vaccinate their populations without the added threat of new and emerging variants which (a) cause more disruption to an already-beleaguered health system and (b) poses the threat of further mutations which could compromise the vaccine programs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

https://twitter.com/ANGELACHIDDEMI/status/1352518800361582592
    AstraZeneca, vaccine approval target as early as Wednesday 27. Ema accelerates

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Some light reading with your morning beverage of choice:

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2021/01/21/mrna-vaccines-what-happens

It talks about how mRNA vaccines work and goes through some of the key research that lead to the current state of the art.

I had a bit of a laugh from this quote:
    My wife was just saying that it’s too bad that we don’t have a luciferase-style readout built in for us humans as well – she’s enthusiastic about being able to watch a green glow coming from under her skin to know that the vaccine is doing its job, but freely admits that this would probably set off a lot of lunatic conspiracy theories as well.

You would think that means they definitely will approve it anyway (in whatever dosing regimen it turns out to be). I suppose there wasn't really much doubt, but still...

Russman wrote: »
    You would think that means they definitely will approve it anyway (in whatever dosing regimen it turns out to be). I suppose there wasn't really much doubt, but still...
    Safety boxes to be ticked, processes to be followed! Can't really mess with that just because people are running around like headless chickens on supplies.

• Advertisement

Jesus, the way RTE is reporting about the EU video conference with the 27 leaders you wouldn’t think there is a vaccine being rolled out. Just more plans to shut us down including calls for border closures, more harsher lockdowns and measures..

You would have thought the opposite by having plans to reopen the EU economy as the vaccines are rolled out especially when they are setting a target of 70% vaccinated by the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Jesus, the way RTE is reporting about the EU video conference with the 27 leaders you wouldn’t think there is a vaccine being rolled out. Just more plans to shut us down including calls for border closures, more harsher lockdowns and measures..

You would have thought the opposite by having plans to reopen the EU economy as the vaccines are rolled out especially when they are setting a target of 70% vaccinated by the summer.

I think most people are misinterpreting the intent of the EU here. These new measures will likely be for 2 or 3 months to get us to a better point. After that - we will hopefully see a much more positive outlook.

All in the context of limited vaccine supplies. You'd understand the German alarm as they were top of class in managing cases until this surge.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

is_that_so wrote: »
    Safety boxes to be ticked, processes to be followed! Can't really mess with that just because people are running around like headless chickens on supplies.
    If you've ever released software, you'll be very familiar with the chaos that ensues when you ignore the box-ticking exercises and just go ahead and release because you assume that everything will be grand.

seamus wrote: »
    If you've ever released software, you'll be very familiar with the chaos that ensues when you ignore the box-ticking exercises and just go ahead and release because you assume that everything will be grand.

That effect is magnified when its a medical product

Some positive qoutes for Friday morning from our neighbour regarding the vaccines :

“”Will we ever get back to normal?””

“”England’s chief medical officer has said he is “confident” that life will go back to normal, and Professor Chris Whitty has said he is “not in doubt” that life can return to the way it was before the pandemic struck.

He told BBC Breakfast: “I am confident we will go back to life as it was before at some point, that’s not in doubt. That’s the life we all want to lead."

But he suggested that measures could be needed until “some time in the spring” to stem the spread of the virus.””

Some positive qoutes for Friday morning from our neighbour :

“”Will we ever get back to normal?””

“”England’s chief medical officer has said he is “confident” that life will go back to normal, and Professor Chris Whitty has said he is “not in doubt” that life can return to the way it was before the pandemic struck.

He told BBC Breakfast: “I am confident we will go back to life as it was before at some point, that’s not in doubt. That’s the life we all want to lead."

But he suggested that measures could be needed until “some time in the spring” to stem the spread of the virus.””
    They are juggling guesswork, being positive and a need not to give people an excuse to cut loose any time soon. We've never really got into that kind of thing.

They are juggling guesswork, being positive and a need not to give people an excuse to cut loose any time soon. We've never really got into that kind of thing.

So i gather you think differently so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

He says after Ireland reopened pubs and restaurants and travel across Ireland, after a Level 5 "lockdown" that didn't have the desired result for NPHET.

• Advertisement

He says after Ireland reopened pubs and restaurants and travel across Ireland, after a Level 5 "lockdown" that didn't have the desired result for NPHET.
    Who is he in this very opaque piece of prose?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement