Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

Gael23 wrote: »
    I read something earlier in the week about discussions to move people with very high risk conditions who fall into group 7 to higher priority. Does anyone here know more about that?

It's being proposed for very high risk, so CF and the like. People in quite poor health.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Does anyone actually have some journal articles about this so called increased mortality and decreased vaccine efficacy that the Brits are claiming?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,765 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

If the data about the vaccine effectiveness on the SA variant is "in the public domain" does someone have a link to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Does anyone actually have some journal articles about this so called increased mortality and decreased vaccine efficacy that the Brits are claiming?

So much ****ing conflicting info. Boris still claiming the UK variant more transmissable but Hmmiz link says otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

*waits for someone knowledgeable enough to put my slightly increased worries at ease*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭political analyst

Today's Irish Mail on Sunday said vaccine doses meant for healthcare workers are being diverted to nursing homes.

Why was the number of doses originally allocated to nursing homes not enough?

If nursing-home residents who are centenarians or at least in their 90s and who have received doses die a few days or weeks afterwards then the recent diversion of doses is a slap-in-the-face to healthcare workers, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

greenheep wrote: »
    So does that mean its only 45% effective now? That wouldn't even have passed the approval threshold if it was just tested on that variant
    It is currently unknown. Wait for the vaccine makers to confirm one way or another. BionTech say they can tweak it quickly if needed and Oxford are looking at how to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Oh look, it's another convenient excuse for Boris Johnson.

"We didn't make a balls of our response, it's the virus! It's more deadly! That's what killed those 1,400 people today!"

Don't believe anything that comes out of the UK until it's been confirmed by a competent body or functional country.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Today's Irish Mail on Sunday said vaccine doses meant for healthcare workers are being diverted to nursing homes.

If nursing-home residents who are centenarians or at least in their 90s and who have received doses die a few days or weeks afterwards then the recent diversion of doses is a slap-in-the-face to healthcare workers, isn't it?
    Mail on Sunday? The Daily Mail are ignorant of the fact that it's care homes only this week to finish them by Sunday. HCWs again from next week and 2nd shots for some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

seamus wrote: »
    Oh look, it's another convenient excuse for Boris Johnson.

"We didn't make a balls of our response, it's the virus! It's more deadly! That's what killed those 1,400 people today!"

Don't believe anything that comes out of the UK until it's been confirmed by a competent body or functional country.

Call me cynical but on the day that evidence questions the transmissibility it seems ironic that he comes out with something else that may or may not be accurate and is still inconclusive

• Registered Users Posts: 10,162 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

is_that_so wrote: »
    Mail on Sunday? The Daily Mail are ignorant of the fact that it's care homes only this week to finish them by Sunday. HCWs again from next week and 2nd shots for some.

One of my family members whos a nurse got her second dose today, over the moon, an emotional day for her and the family.

It's an awkward one, they gave a significant number of doses to group 4 people in the first burst (for practical reasons). This meant that some group 2 people missed out and now they're doing group 1 now (which is fair enough) the group 2 people will be waiting a bit longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

funnydoggy wrote: »

The error bars are big, but most of the lower bounds seem to be above 1, so there is a chance it's more severe. Some of the data don't support it though. The overall estimated probability of it being more severe is 40-50%. They certainly need a LOT more data to nail it down further.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

lbj666 wrote: »
    Is it possible that measures to contain the virus were adhered to more in locations where it was known that the new strain was prevalent, hence the bigger fall.

UK have just had an absolutely stinker of a press conference throwing out every worst case scenario there is.

You have to look at the relative increase/decrese between the veriants. Restriction adherance would not affect that.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Any word yet on whether the vaccine manufacturers have started including protection against the E484K mutation in their latest vaccine productions?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

I've noticed in the media pictures of people administering the shot and they're not even wearing gloves when putting the needle in the arm. I would have thought this would've been standard infection control practice when administering a vaccine. I wouldn't want someone's bare hands sticking a needle into me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭Cork2021

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭Azatadine

This thread needed that!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Cork2021 wrote: »

This is the kinda stuff that's important for our mental health right now. Awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭Cork2021

funnydoggy wrote: »
    This is the kinda stuff that's important for our mental health right now. Awesome.

I’ll keep bringing the good news lads!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Many thanks for posting that. I'm logging off for the weekend.

• Site Banned Posts: 54 ✭✭Itsaduck1

Call me cynical but on the day that evidence questions the transmissibility it seems ironic that he comes out with something else that may or may not be accurate and is still inconclusive

Its really annoying at this stage, been happening since the start, all the data they have to come to these conclusions must be absolute rubbish
    Like our RO figures of 0.5 - 0.8 today, how can they honestly know the RO if we haven't tested close contacts and persons with no symptoms for weeks and just started again

Unless Pfizer or the like say these mutant strains are a worry to there product or we see countries doing challenge trials and infecting people with different strains I dont believe a word of it.They are just mathematical models and theoretical studies otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

I’ll keep bringing the good news lads!!

Awesome work!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

GT89 wrote: »
    I've noticed in the media pictures of people administering the shot and they're not even wearing gloves when putting the needle in the arm. I would have thought this would've been standard infection control practice when administering a vaccine.

Best practice says gloves are not required when administering vaccines unless the vaccinator has an open wound.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭blackcard

So Ireland are tenth in the world with 2.5% of the population having received one vaccine shot. Well behind Israel, UAE, UK but joint second in the EU to Denmark. Kudos in fairness for effort so far

• Registered Users Posts: 5,626 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Best practice says gloves are not required when administering vaccines unless the vaccinator has an open wound.

How is that best practice would have thought it was basic hygiene to protect the person giving and the person receiving the vaccine.

• Advertisement

Very disappointing. Over half a million people over 70 in Ireland so group 3 needs about 1 million doses, unlikely now they can all be offered a first dose by end of March.

Hopefully J & J have results on Monday and can submit soon. And maybe Moderna can increase supply a bit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement