Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Is there a solid reason why the distribution of the vaccines to the whole population will take a year?

It's been told that those who take the vaccine will be free of most of the restrictions, the others will have to bear with them. Isn't this a discrimination?
    There are people who might be willing to take it, but have to wait the end of 2021 to get it for some unknown reason, and meanwhile they might be excluded by certain events or venues for something that does not depend on them.
    Is this fair/legal/right?

Distribution will take a year because manufacture takes time.

There will be no vaccine passporting or similar in the short term. At the moment there is at best limited evidence that the vaccine will suppress transmission.

Most likely we will need to break the chains of transmission by limiting mass gatherings (whether the participants are vaccinated or not) until after people who want the vaccine can get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Distribution will take a year because manufacture takes time.

There will be no vaccine passporting or similar in the short term. At the moment there is at best limited evidence that the vaccine will suppress transmission.

Most likely we will need to break the chains of transmission by limiting mass gatherings (whether the participants are vaccinated or not) until after people who want the vaccine can get it.

So, no matter what, 2021 will be not different than 2020 in terms of precautions, possible restrictions and bans?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

So, no matter what, 2021 will be not different than 2020 in terms of precautions, possible restrictions and bans?

As i have mention before, i would predict the last quarter of 2021 to be very different than today ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭landofthetree

The EU and Berlin have insisted there will be sufficient vaccine available, but delays in signing purchasing contracts mean that the elixir will arrive late and there might not be enough. The EU even declined an option that would have allowed for the purchase of hundreds of millions of extra doses.

https://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/the-planning-disaster-germany-and-europe-could-fall-short-on-vaccine-supplies-a-3db4702d-ae23-4e85-85b7-20145a898abd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Micky 32 wrote: »
    As i have mention before, i would predict the last quarter of 2021 to be very different than today ;)

Provided that the whole plan has no issues in the next months.
    Larger countries might even have longer timelines, which could extend to part of 2022.

I might guess that as long as all countries have reached the same level of distribution, things like tourism and large public venues will be still banned?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Provided that the whole plan has no issues in the next months.
    Larger countries might even have longer time tables, which could extend to part of 2022.

Nope, i stand by my prediction. The critical mass will be well and truly vaccinated by then for a start. That in itself will make a huge dent to restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

The EU and Berlin have insisted there will be sufficient vaccine available, but delays in signing purchasing contracts mean that the elixir will arrive late and there might not be enough. The EU even declined an option that would have allowed for the purchase of hundreds of millions of extra doses.
    The EU had to gamble and pick which vaccines they thought would work, and sign binding contracts to purchase them. They've picked multiple, and spread their bets. Sanofi/GSK made sense as it was a proven vaccine manufacturer, Biontech & Moderna were not.

If the Biontech & Moderna vaccines had turned out to be rubbish, we'd have people saying that the EU had wasted money.

If the Captain Hindsights who are now emerging in the media had told us several months ago which vaccines were going to have 95% effectiveness, these negotiations would have been a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,656 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

My father has just notified me that his group (Group 4) of HSE workers has been told (unofficially) that they'll be vaccinated in early February.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

My father has just notified me that his group (Group 4) of HSE workers has been told (unofficially) that they'll be vaccinated in early February.

That's inline with what initial delivery numbers suggested so, give or take a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Do you mind me asking what you're father works at in thread hse?

I do alot of contract work on a hospital and would often by there for weeks at a time. I'm praying somehow I can get on the list early

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Adds up based on expected delivery dates and quantity

Do you mind me asking what you're father works at in thread hse?

I do alot of contract work on a hospital and would often by there for weeks at a time. I'm praying somehow I can get on the list early
    Maintenance

• Registered Users Posts: 13,752 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

The Chinese Sinovac Vaccine doesn't seem to be up to much, more information to be released in the next few hours:
    Sinovac Biotech’s Covid-19 vaccine is reported to be 50% effective in late-stage trials, according to the newspaper Folha de S.Paulo on Wednesday. They added that the Chinese company had asked the Brazilian institute who ran the tests to wait up to 15 days before publishing their full results.

The Butantan Institute, who are running the trials in Brazil, and the Sao Paulo government which oversees the institute declined to comment, saying there would be more details at 4 pm local time, reports Reuters.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/dec/23/coronavirus-live-news-us-cases-increase-14-in-one-week-france-to-reopen-uk-border

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 55 ✭✭braychelsea

Inquitus wrote: »
    The Chinese Sinovac Vaccine doesn't seem to be up to much, more information to be released in the next few hours:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/dec/23/coronavirus-live-news-us-cases-increase-14-in-one-week-france-to-reopen-uk-border

They haven't announced efficacy yet, they were just stating it exceeds the required threshold.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-sinovac-brazil-chi/chinas-sinovac-covid-19-vaccine-proves-effective-in-brazil-trials-wsj-idUSKBN28V2S6

Maintenance

I'm the same, fingers crossed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

is_that_so wrote: »
    Good news but more importantly why is he called Cormac?!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cormac

The wise advice of Irish king Cornac Mac Airt ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Anyone know how quick turnaround times are for test? If tested tomorrow they say 24 hours for positive and 48 hours for negative but have people gotten them quicker? Don't want to be isolating Xmas day when there is no point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

I’m in group 14 out of 15 I think -Other people aged 18-54

Have an office job in a large multinational but I work from home so wouldn’t count for group 9 - People aged 18-64 living or working in crowded settings

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭joxers25

Transport for COVID test
    Hi guys,

Do you know if there are services for getting an isolated, vulnerable, elderly, anxious person to and from a covid test tomorrow?
    Trying to convince them to postpone xmas and schedule a home test for early next week but they're insisting on getting tested tomorrow
    about 20 minutes away?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

is_that_so wrote: »
    Apparently the HSE are going to use all these initial batches as single shots only.

...but to be followed up with second shots from subsequent batches. Surely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,100 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

[

This is the bit that really frustrates me. Once the at risk groups are vaccinated we shouldn’t need restrictions but you can bet we will have them.
    It depends what is defined as a mass gathering I suppose

The US has officially passed 1 million vaccinations, per AFP

The US has officially passed 1 million vaccinations, per AFP

holy ****, really???? how bloody quick was that

holy ****, really???? how bloody quick was that
    To be fair its the equivalent of us vaccinating 16,666 people, not very much

• Registered Users Posts: 86,083 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

31,000 to arrive few days after Stephens day

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1341755454746181633?s=21

Will some get it before the end of 2020?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Yes, vacination starts 30th

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    starts dec 30th

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

With a younger population than any other country in Europe, the vaccine rollout should see our COVID hospitalisations and deaths falling faster than any other European country. Things are looking up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Gael23 wrote: »
    This is the bit that really frustrates me. Once the at risk groups are vaccinated we shouldn’t need restrictions but you can bet we will have them.
    It depends what is defined as a mass gathering I suppose

If you don't have any restrictions and only a small percentage of the population are vaccinated, the virus could run rampant through the population. The population is less vulnerable but with more of them getting infected, higher numbers (but the same percentage as before) will be seriously affected. The health service would be under similar strain as before.
    I hope that businesses at least will start to get back to normal soon after mass vaccination but the need for masks and a measure of social distancing will continue for longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,100 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

How many people are in the at risk groups? Just wondering how this would look in terms of opening up. They mention 70% need it first

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement