Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Interesting that a large high quality trial of Invermectin is going to take place in the UK. I guess they must see some possibility of it making a difference:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/trial-for-covid-wonder-drug-that-could-save-thousands-of-lives-99jc07v2s

The use of Ivermectin was already discussed in April, then the silent fell on it.
    It's the same product used for cattle and pets. In cats and dogs, for instance, it is used to treat heartworms.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    In fairness he didn’t say that, he tweeted an article from a German publication which did say it. It’s not the same as him saying it.

Read his replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The use of Ivermectin was already discussed in April, then the silent fell on it.
    It's the same product used for cattle and pets. In cats and dogs, for instance, it is used to treat heartworms.
    Also used in humans by prescription only for parasitic worms. There hasn't been a proper clinical trial on it yet, just some "my patients responded to it" data.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

When will Dentists/Physiotherapists in private practices and private home care workers be done?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

France looking at delaying second shot of Pfizer and Moderna vaccine (like the UK). Might see more EU countries doing this in the short term with the vaccine supply issues.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-23/french-group-advises-delaying-second-shots-to-vaccinate-faster?srnd=premium-europe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,626 ✭✭✭brickster69

478,000 done yesterday in the UK, 5.8 million overall now.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Richard Chambers from virgin media is spouting some nonsense about the vaccines on twitter today. Claiming restrictions will have to remain even with all vulnerable vaccinated and that the virus will run through the population afterwards and kill loads. Christ almighty.

It won't kill loads, mortality rate under 55 is barely 0.1% including the at risk, but with a hospitalisation rate of 3.5% and with only a portion with group 7 type conditions it wouldnt take long for the hospitals to clog up with under 55s if there was little to no control measures..

The one consolation with all these delays there will be an everything all at once situation in Q2 and maybe 2-3 more vacines before Q3 so the gap between vulnerable and non vulnerable getting done will hopefully have shortened a good bit, meaning we have less of a period where everyone let's their guard down cause their elders got jabbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭Cork2021

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Cork2021 wrote: »

Any idea how many doses of that the EU has on order?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Seems ridiculous quick to go from not even phase 3 trial results yet to approval in 2 weeks surely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Stheno wrote: »

Vaccination Programme: Implementation Plan has Ireland at approx 2.2m doses.

titan18 wrote: »
    Seems ridiculous quick to go from not even phase 3 trial results yet to approval in 2 weeks surely

This explains it better. A likely 2 week window to request and receive approval after J&J have analysed their own data in 2 weeks, so more like 4 weeks from now.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-21/j-j-vaccine-trial-has-enough-data-to-analyze-soon-fauci-says

• Registered Users Posts: 9,184 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

The US are going to move fast on this, if they're looking to approve in the coming weeks then I'd bet phase 3 trial results aren't far away, if trump said this I'd agree with you but faucci said it...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

is_that_so wrote: »
    This explains it better. A likely 2 week window to request approval after J&J have analysed their own data in 2 weeks.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-21/j-j-vaccine-trial-has-enough-data-to-analyze-soon-fauci-says

Fair enough, that first tweet and article didn't look correct at all

Fair enough, that first tweet and article didn't look correct at all
    It's the NY Post! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

This explains it better. A likely 2 week window to request and receive approval after J&J have analysed their own data in 2 weeks, so more like 4 weeks from now.

That's US time though I presume, ema will be slower?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭Cork2021

fm wrote: »

You’d assume they’d apply for both at the same time especially with the EMA already having started a rolling review

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Think the EMA have been doing a rolling review and J and J trial in Europe started earlier

Might be wrong its hard to keep up with them all

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭eoinbn

Vaccination Programme: Implementation Plan has Ireland at approx 2.2m doses.

With the option to buy the same again - I have no idea on the timeline of that though. If it those prove to have a similar efficacy as the AZ vaccine, and it can be delivered in a suitable time frame, then there will be a lot of pressure to snap up more.
    A single dose and no special storage requirements would be a huge boost but I don't think there is deliveries expected until late March or early April. Given that we are paying GP's €25 per dose it would also end up saving money.
    Think the EMA have been doing a rolling review and J and J trial in Europe started earlier

Might be wrong its hard to keep up with them all

JnJ has a worldwide trial - including Brazil, South Africa and the UK. We might get some useful info on how effective it is against the different variants. Hopefully it is 100% effective and there will be no data to analysis!! But yes, the EMA started it rolling review of JnJ's candidate back on 1/12/20.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Does it matter?
    After the first two weeks, J&J will say that for an issue in one of their main plant, the supply will be reduced by 50% ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Does it matter?
    After the first two weeks, J&J will say that for an issue in one of their main plant, the supply will be reduced by 50% ;)

Mr Brightside :)

Yeah, for the FDA . They have been doing a rolling review submission to the EMA so it should be quick enough. February is a possible date for approval.

https://www.jnj.com/our-company/johnson-johnson-announces-initiation-of-rolling-submission-for-its-single-dose-janssen-covid-19-vaccine-candidate-with-the-european-medicines-agency

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Yeah, for the FDA . They have been doing a rolling review submission to the EMA so it should be quick enough. February is a possible date for approval.

https://www.jnj.com/our-company/johnson-johnson-announces-initiation-of-rolling-submission-for-its-single-dose-janssen-covid-19-vaccine-candidate-with-the-european-medicines-agency

How long after that for delivery?

I am starting to think that the EMA approval is just a smokescreen for the delayed deliveries compared to the US/UK. The US/UK put in orders earlier to the major manufactures while the EU seemed to have been haggling over the price. Even if the EMA approved AZ weeks ago, it appears as if AZ wouldn't have been ready to ship.
    The UK signed contracts with JnJ and Novavax last August. The EU came to an agreement with JnJ in October and are still talking to Novavax. That gives both of those companies far more time to scale up production for the UK than it would for the EU.

Gael23 wrote: »
    How long after that for delivery?
    No idea, wait and see I suppose. Pfizer one is a useful reference I'd say, so authorised by EU on December 21 and in use by about December 28.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

eoinbn wrote: »
    I am starting to think that the EMA approval is just a smokescreen for the delayed deliveries compared to the US/UK. The US/UK put in orders earlier to the major manufactures while the EU seemed to have been haggling over the price. Even if the EMA approved AZ weeks ago, it appears as if AZ wouldn't have been ready to ship.
    The UK signed contracts with JnJ and Novavax last August. The EU came to an agreement with JnJ in October and are still talking to Novavax. That gives both of those companies far more time to scale up production for the UK than it would for the EU.

first come ,first served, the e u is poor at times,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

What the UK also did is order way more vaccines that it actually will need. As a result, it is getting a bigger share of production than the EU (per capita). The EU has made a mess of this, saving money in the short term, costing lives and time.

With AZ it could well be. Hard to say with J&J and they do have their own European manufacturing sites. They are saying they can do 1bn doses in 2021 and if the data is good that's 1bn vaccinated.

gally74 wrote: »
    first come ,first served, the e u is poor at times,

It isn't quite like that. The UK is getting most of it's vaccines from the UK. The EU is getting them from EU plants the the US from US plants. However these companies weren't going to re-purpose those plants to produce 200-300m doses of a vaccine until the EU signed on the dotted line.
    It just seems the EU's approach hasn't given the companies time to scale up. An exception here was Germany giving BioNtech €400m to buy a plant to scale up. This was back in September. However that wasn't the EU, that was Germany - which is probably why Germany is now annoying that the plant will be supplying the EU and not just Germany.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

I'd say the Minister will have to push the dates out a bit once they get solid numbers on the AZ shortfalls. They are meeting them during the week I think to get the details. SO a busy week anyway with EMA hopefully approving on the 29th as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement