Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Things don't make sense. The gp referral data was up on Friday but the cases are down so much. I will need a few days of cases around 1300 before I accept that it's not a lab giving people the weekend off.
    The GP data wasn't up by any serious amount - it was still lower than every other day except Thursday. And the number of responses was lower; the actual number of "probable" cases reported by GPs was at its lowest level in weeks.

I wouldn't go read too much into the GP referral data. There's a large element of selection bias in it - GPs with fewer or no Covid calls are less likely to report in than GPs who've had an unusually busy day. Arguably the best indicator is the # of surveys received. More surveys received == more cases, less surveys == less cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Vaccine numbers now listed on data hub

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Gael23 wrote: »
    dont mean to burst your bubble but you're 2 weeks late

• Registered Users Posts: 14 CatalogJinx

That's nice news. Good to see a bit of positivity. Itching to get mine at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Have been for the last while, up to last week.

Are due to be updated today and daily appearently

https://twitter.com/smytho/status/1353667199819513857?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

Not sure cases are around 1300.

Things don't make sense. The gp referral data was up on Friday but the cases are down so much. I will need a few days of cases around 1300 before I accept that it's not a lab giving people the weekend off.

It is what is and we will see.

Obviously testing of close contacts will need to be resumed and hospitals will have to empty. Yesterday was our highest icu day so far so the health service will be crying out for relief for a while even if cases fall. Veradker suggested that icu numbers would need to fall below 50 before conversations about relaxing restrictions could be had.

If cases are around 100 I definitely think there should be openings assuming icu numbers are below 50.

Referrals were up compared to Thursday, but still lower than the other days of the week. Also total amount of referral was down, it was up in % because less GPs answered the survey (132 - lowest number since Christmas).

Lab giving the weekend off or not, the % of positive swabs is still falling, fast.

I honestly don't see any way to consider the data we have been getting in any negative way. I do expect the government to tip-toe around re-opening a lot, so I would not bet on any re-opening in February (outside of maybe school and construction).

• Registered Users Posts: 14 CatalogJinx

dont mean to burst your bubble but you're 2 weeks late

Damnit, I could've been more positive two weeks ago if I'd known this!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Does anyone know how many over 85s not in residential care there are?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭political analyst

Why is the European Medicines Agency taking longer than its British equivalent to give approval to the AstraZeneca vaccine? If the vaccine is safe for Britain then it's safe for everywhere else.

Why is the European Medicines Agency taking longer than its British equivalent to give approval to the AstraZeneca vaccine? If the vaccine is safe for Britain then it's safe for everywhere else.
    because they are completely different approvals. emergency authorisation vs marketing authorisation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭quartz1

A report on Sky News on an interview with Dr David Nabarro that the Moderna vaccine is six times less effective against the South Africa Mutation

quartz1 wrote: »
    A report on Sky News on an interview with Dr David Nabarro that the Moderna vaccine is six times less effective against the South Africa Mutation
    so incredibly good -> very good

not good -> bad

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

https://investors.modernatx.com/news-releases/news-release-details/moderna-covid-19-vaccine-retains-neutralizing-activity-against

". A six-fold reduction in neutralizing titers was observed with the B.1.351 variant relative to prior variants. Despite this reduction, neutralizing titer levels with B.1.351 remain above levels that are expected to be protective. "

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

At 95% efficiency, it should still be fine. There is a good safety net.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Nah, that's not what's being reported. The response to the SA variant is weaker, but it's still a sufficiently strong response to confer immunity.

Moderna are developing a booster candidate in response, but it doesn't impact the rollout of the current vaccine.

muddypuppy wrote: »
    https://investors.modernatx.com/news-releases/news-release-details/moderna-covid-19-vaccine-retains-neutralizing-activity-against

". A six-fold reduction in neutralizing titers was observed with the B.1.351 variant relative to prior variants. Despite this reduction, neutralizing titer levels with B.1.351 remain above levels that are expected to be protective. "

So it still works but only just .

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

No. Wrong again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

It's good news, stop looking for the negativity!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I'm not sure if you've paraphrased there, but "six times less effective" isn't quite what's been reported in the study.

There's a sixfold reduction in the neutralising antibodies produced, but they are still above levels that are expected to be protective. This doesn't really equate to six times less effective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Worth noting Moderna vaccine still provides greater response to South African variant than people previously infected with earlier COVID variants in South Africa. The new variant can largely elude the previously infected immune response.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

From the census in 2016.
    Among those aged 85 and over, 78.3 per cent of the total were living in private households.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

There could be a vaccine that's 99.99% effective against every disease on the planet and you'd probably still have someone on here going on about the 0.01%

big syke wrote: »
    No. Wrong again.

I am very happy to be wrong and I only quoted what the interviewer put to Dr Nabarro

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

muddypuppy wrote: »
    Referrals were up compared to Thursday, but still lower than the other days of the week. Also total amount of referral was down, it was up in % because less GPs answered the survey (132 - lowest number since Christmas).

Lab giving the weekend off or not, the % of positive swabs is still falling, fast.

I honestly don't see any way to consider the data we have been getting in any negative way. I do expect the government to tip-toe around re-opening a lot, so I would not bet on any re-opening in February (outside of maybe school and construction).

Mod

Folks, this is off topic for this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

I am very happy to be wrong and I only quoted what the interviewer put to Dr Nabarro

No you said "So it still works but only just ."

This is wrong.

As is your "quote" from sky news. He never said the vaccine is 6 times less effective.

Updated vaccine number is 143000

In total it's about 80,000. Going by another posters stat that would make it about 63,000 not in care homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLIs2tZ7Cp4&feature=youtu.be&ab_channel=EuropeanCommission

Pretty serious statement being made. Very much looks like they are accusing Astrazenica of exporting the supplies the EU had ordered to other countries..

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement