Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭quartz1

do Astra Zenical produce vaccine in the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Updated vaccine number is 143000

It'd be nice if this number only included completed dosing schedules for the individual. Unless we have given 143,000 people two doses?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

It's a pretty basic question isn't it - how many vaccines have you made and who have you supplied them to? The fact that AZ haven't been able to answer it is odd, to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Short sharp statement there from the EU.

Another meeting with AstraZeneca tonight.

At this stage at least engagement is on going. I'd suspect based on the language used that they think AZ diverted supplies to the UK, if that is the case AZ will probably have to divert some production at UK sites into the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

AdamD wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLIs2tZ7Cp4&feature=youtu.be&ab_channel=EuropeanCommission

Pretty serious statement being made. Very much looks like they are accusing Astrazenica of exporting the supplies the EU had ordered to other countries..

Serious statements for a vacine that hasn't been confirmed its been approved yet. Like i suggested previously is it possible Astra Zeneca are unhappy with the recommendation the EMA are expected to make and diverting orders elsewhere as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Turtwig wrote: »
    It'd be nice if this number only included completed dosing schedules for the individual. Unless we have given 143,000 people two doses?

No it's 143k shots. We are doing about 5k shots per day now. I understand the supply issues but it should be noted that we have a very, very significant ramping up to do. We need to be jabbing 50k-75k per day to match what the likes of Israel and the UAE are doing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Seems like the EU believe they've sent them to the UK... christ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

As long as it doesn't count the second dose in addition to the first, I think it is ok. Most countries count the first dose, with a second count for completed vaccinations.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

snotboogie wrote: »
    No it's 143k shots. We are doing about 5k shots per day now. I understand the supply issues but it should be noted that we have a very, very significant ramping up to do. We need to be jabbing 50k-75k per day to match what the likes of Israel and the UAE are doing now.

Do we know is it 143k people so that many has had 1 shot or 143k shots so some of those will be 2 shots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Seems like the EU believe they've sent them to the UK... christ

very good communicator..... Commissioner Kyriakides

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

AdamD wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLIs2tZ7Cp4&feature=youtu.be&ab_channel=EuropeanCommission

Pretty serious statement being made. Very much looks like they are accusing Astrazenica of exporting the supplies the EU had ordered to other countries..
    Interesting. I think this is possibly the most "annoyed" I've seen the EU since all of this began. Up to this point, each country were largely fighting their own battles. They seem genuinely pissed off now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Very lucky we have the EU for this. If we ordered our own doses and this happened they would literally tell Donnelly to **** off.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

snotboogie wrote: »
    GP/Pharmacy network will be able to deliver 75,000-80,000 a week alone. HSE want to get to 1m a month at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

lbj666 wrote: »
    Serious statements for a vacine that hasn't been confirmed its been approved yet. Like i suggested previously is it possible Astra Zeneca are unhappy with the recommendation the EMA are expected to make and diverting orders elsewhere as a result.

Well the EU paid hundreds of millions of euro in advance. Its not Astra Zenacas decision to divert what the EU has ordered and prepaid for.

ixoy wrote: »
    Interesting. I think this is possibly the most "annoyed" I've seen the EU since all of this began. Up to this point, each country were largely fighting their own battles. They seem genuinely pissed off now.

Ya, they're getting tons of pressure of course from individual countries so they do have to come out strong on this. If AstraZeneca have done something like this, I'd hope the EU absolutely hammer them.

titan18 wrote: »
    Do we know is it 143k people so that many has had 1 shot or 143k shots so some of those will be 2 shots
    A small number would be second but that's the the first shot of care homes + c. 71K frontline staff done.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

There's been 121,900 first doses.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Where will this go of AZ have sold EU vaccines to the UK?

Amirani wrote: »
    I think that 143,000 is a new total. If you're using our hub that's only updated on Thursdays at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,365 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Gael23 wrote: »

Apparently we paid a lot of money up front for AZ to get production ready for EU delivery. If they've used those doses for a non EU country i would say there would be hell to pay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

Amirani wrote: »

That's as of last Wednesday. The 143,000 figure is up-to-date and cumulative.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

They'll get a strongly worded letter!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Vicxas wrote: »
    Apparently we paid a lot of money up front for AZ to get production ready for EU delivery. If they've used those doses for a non EU country i would say there would be hell to pay

Should have listened to Donnelly and taken early delivery when they had the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭VonLuck

is_that_so wrote: »
    I think that 143,000 is a new total. If you're using our hub that's only updated on Thursdays at present.

I thought this was going to be daily from today onwards?

At the least sued for breach of contract and they'll be repaying the money.

Sky King wrote: »
    They'll get a strongly worded letter!
    From an entity that fined Google over €1bn? Nope, they will go after them. aggressively if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

titan18 wrote: »
    At the least sued for breach of contract and they'll be repaying the money.

Only if the contract states vaccines must be delivered by a certain date

VonLuck wrote: »
    I thought this was going to be daily from today onwards?
    Eventually, I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

is_that_so wrote: »
    From an entity that fined Google over €1bn? Nope, they will go after them. aggressively if needs be.

Absolutely. The EU will be ruthless with this and will get it's way. Anyone who thinks otherwise isn't very familiar with the EU.

The pantomime in the meantime will be interesting to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

quartz1 wrote: »
    do Astra Zenical produce vaccine in the EU

Effectively, yes. The vaccine is being produced in a contract manufacturing facility in Belgium.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement