Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Got the Moderna vaccine today in the US.

Feel right as rain after it.

Thankful to have got it.

The beginning of the end.

Glad Ireland will be getting jabs soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 MagoP

Got the Moderna vaccine today in the US.

Feel right as rain after it.

Thankful to have got it.

The beginning of the end.

Glad Ireland will be getting jabs soon.

Are you medical staff or can anyone get it over there now?

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

MagoP wrote: »
    Are you medical staff or can anyone get it over there now?

Frontline staff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Frontline staff

On a scale of 1/10

1 being modest and 10 being extremely smug,

Exactly how smug are you today???

If I was you I'd be walking down the streets like John Travolta in the opening scene of Saturday night fever!! Well done you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

When are the vaccinations starting here?

• Advertisement

When are the vaccinations starting here?

I think its Monday,

Wow, when you think about it, it's only a matter of days. Brilliant isn't it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

I think its Monday,

Wow, when you think about it, it's only a matter of days. Brilliant isn't it

It’s the 30th apparently. Vaccines due to arrive 26th - can’t seem to see why the gap is so big.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    It’s the 30th apparently. Vaccines due to arrive 26th - can’t seem to see why the gap is so big.
    Not sure why people are fussing so much about a day or two, seeing as we'll have 40K by the end of next week. You can't just take it out of the box and go. It needs to be prepared and distributed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,100 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

The next problem will be which cabinet ministers constituency gets them first

is_that_so wrote: »
    Not sure why people are fussing so much about a day or two, seeing as we'll have 40K by the end of next week. You can't just take it out of the box and go. It needs to be prepared and distributed.

If that’s true then that’s fine, my curiosity is why Germany can start on 27th. Granted it will probably get to them a day earlier but they seem to be starting at a quicker rate than us.

I don’t think people are fussing, those 3 days could save lives. If there is a reason for the delay fine - communicate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Because the UK and US are emergency approvals, the EMA approval is full approval

Not quite. EMA gave conditional approval pending full approval further down the line when more data will be reviewed to allow for a decision on full approval. This is similar to the emergency authorisation in the US.

https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/news/ema-recommends-first-covid-19-vaccine-authorisation-eu

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

If that’s true then that’s fine, my curiosity is why Germany can start on 27th. Granted it will probably get to them a day earlier but they seem to be starting at a quicker rate than us.

I don’t think people are fussing, those 3 days could save lives. If there is a reason for the delay fine - communicate it.

Absolutely agree with this. There's no excuse to delay it by hours never mind days.

I think the claim that lives will be lost for the sake of a few days is emotional manipulation at this stage. The real risk to people is the behaviour of other not a lack of a vaccine. Regrettably, people that close to death will die. We are only getting 10K doses anyway so most of the first group remain at risk until the end of next week. Even then, it's only the first shot so at best they are partly protected. I'm delighted to see that it's starting.

I think the claim that lives will be lost for the sake of a few days is emotional manipulation at this stage. The real risk to people is the behaviour of other not a lack of a vaccine. Regrettably, people that close to death will die. We are only getting 10K doses anyway so most of the first group remain at risk until the end of next week. Even then, it's only the first shot so at best they are partly protected. I'm delighted to see that it's starting.

I’m delighted too, just making the point that it should start ASAP, if that’s the 30th, then great, but some communication on why we may be 3 days behind other countries would be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,129 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I wonder will they start in the counties with the highest numbers? Or possibly in hospital with outbreaks . It would make sense to me to do that .

Even tiny Malta is getting its first jabs done at 9am on the 27th, the day after they get the first batch on the 26th. Yet we can't seem to get organised until the 30th. Ridiculous.

https://timesofmalta.com/articles/view/watch-live-health-minister-chris-fearne-gives-covid-19-update.840398

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I wonder will they start in the counties with the highest numbers? Or possibly in hospital with outbreaks . It would make sense to me to do that .
    It'll be by groups. 40K is all of the nursing homes sector and I guess some hospital stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

I wonder is it anything to do with the fact that people are dying?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,129 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

It'll be by groups. 40K is all of the nursing homes sector and I guess some hospital stuff.
    Ah no I meant in the first group . I was just wondering if they will start in hospitals with an outbreak and in counties with high numbers

I wonder is it anything to do with the fact that people are dying?
    Some of the 30K who won't be vaccinated until we get that supply may also die as may others outside of those groups. That's a supply issue.

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Ah no I meant in the first group . I was just wondering if they will start in hospitals with an outbreak and in counties with high numbers
    From what's been said it's care homes first and hopefully that will be done before the second 40K arrives. I'd imagine the remaining 10K will go into hospitals then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

30th? So behind the rest of the EU... by a few days. But that is splitting hairs on my part.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dockysher

Some coronavirus warde nurses getting it first. My partner a nurse and they got told yesterday be getting vaccine next Wednesday

30th? So behind the rest of the EU...
    First we complain there is no vaccine, then there's not enough of it, then the date of vaccinations starting, then it'll be the "poor rollout" and finally we'll be on the case of the non-vaccinated!

First we complain there is no vaccine, then there's not enough of it, then the date of vaccinations starting, then it'll be the "poor rollout" and finally we'll be on the case of the non-vaccinated!

It speaks to a wider dysfunction in the health service when other countries in the EU as diverse as Germany and Malta can get their vaccinations rolled out on the 27th yet we can't get going until the 30th.

I agree with you, plus the vaccine is coming from Belgium if im not mistaken, its only an hour on the plane away, so no real excuses for being behind other parts of central Europe.

But the end is near, exciting times. We just to try and remain positive

• Registered Users Posts: 12,100 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I don’t think 3 days it worth arguing about at this stage.

When the hoped for other vaccines come along shortly, how many do we have manpower to administer. If we say get 100k a week can we actually vaccinate that amount of people?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Gael23 wrote: »
    I don’t think 3 days it worth arguing about at this stage.

When the hoped for other vaccines come along shortly, how many do we have manpower to administer. If we say get 100k a week can we actually vaccinate that amount of people?

Considering we did 1.3 million flu vaccines in about 5 weeks this year I'm sure we can manage.

Oxford Astra Zenaca can be shipped to pharmacies and gp for distribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

CureVac's NHP challenge study results:

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.12.23.424138v1

Not complete sterilizing protection like for Novavax and J&J studies but to me looks a bit better than Oxford's results while they used a similarly high viral challenge dose.

They're in phase 3 now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

Think the EU/EMA will be in for a hammering once UK approves Astrazeneca next week and they start to vaccinate large amounts of their population (Doesn't look like EMA will approve it for at least a month). Understand there needs to be due process but every week delay by EMA is an extra 30,000 lives lost to COVID and a longer period of restrictions.

This is one thing I don't get. There is a vocal group who keep insisting on lockdowns saying it will.save lives etc.

But this same group seem to be pretty quite on the slowness of EMA vaccine approval.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement