Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Christ!!!
    I just can’t for one second believe the brits are giving an 8% efficacious vaccine to the over 65’s!! They cannot be that thick!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Company acts the Boll1x with production schedules. Someone else acts the boll1x leaking selective info about said company’s product to the media. Perhaps lowering expectations on the vaccine and at the same time a bit of nationalism thrown in there with a competing product.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Turtwig wrote: »
    Trouble here is if you don't have data it works for over 65s how confident can you be that it works for medically vulnerable under that age? Particularly immuno comprised individuals.

That said we're getting ahead of ourselves. The US data may yet show it works in the older cohorts. The EMA can only approve based on the data AZ submitted.

Ya, you probably can't give it to anyone over 60 or immuno compromised people really. And if the data isn't great, groups might feel like guinea pigs if you give it to them. Could be a car crash if it's all true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭Azatadine

What an irresponsible thing to release to the public arena. Totally irresponsible.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Azatadine wrote: »
    What an irresponsible thing to release to the public arena. Totally irresponsible.

Why?

I’d much rather know this than not know this. It’s 100% in the public interest

Faugheen wrote: »
    Why?

Because its not true. Read back on earlier posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Christ!!!
    I just can’t for one second believe the brits are giving an 8% efficacious vaccine to the over 65’s!! They cannot be that thick!

Lots of info here

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/regulatory-approval-of-covid-19-vaccine-astrazeneca/information-for-healthcare-professionals-on-covid-19-vaccine-astrazeneca

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

We could finish the frontline and second line Healthcare workers with AZ and start routing Pfizer/Moderna to the elderly. Then go back to doing high risk, other essential workers, 50-60’s with AZ.

If the efficacy is poor for over 65’s, I wonder does it also call into question the effectiveness of other viral vector vaccines e.g J&J, Novavax etc...
    Perhaps mRNA was the right horse to bet on all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Faugheen wrote: »
    Why?

It's in the public interest alright. The first we should have heard of it was from the EMA itself. If they publish something different to the leaked report it'll be the fuel that lights conspiracy fires the world over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Just because someone deleted a tweet does not mean that it is not true. It is published by what is normally a reliable publication. It is unconfirmed. It could be true.

https://twitter.com/Mark_Coughlan/status/1353814330505093121

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

https://twitter.com/washingtonski/status/1353796533246976000

That was just another journalist saying they wanted more concrete detail on sources. This journalist seems to be doubling down on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Gael23 wrote: »
    Any update from this evenings meeting?

That was the update. They're still not happy with any explanation given.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

DaSilva wrote: »
    Honestly I think its a score against the anti-vaxxers, a lot of the more "respectable" anti-vax rhetoric I've been hearing lately is based on the idea that the vaccines wouldn't be allowed fail, that they would be given out as "hopium" regardless of efficacy. The EMA not approving when the data doesn't add up shows they have scientific integrity. Failures in this rapid vaccine creation process demonstrates the authenticity of it in my opinion.

I know what you mean though, some of the lower grade anti-vaxxers will still use this as proof they are right

The EMA, no disrespect to it, would not be considered in the same league as it's British counterpart.

It's like bawdy humour and dirty military operations, they are world class from exceptional experience and research.

Danzy wrote: »
    The EMA, no disrespect to it, would not be considered in the same league as it's British counterpart.

It's like bawdy humour and dirty military operations, they are world class from exceptional experience and research.

But you've already said that the US regulator is better, and they've said the available trial data isn't good enough.

How do you reconcile that?

Amirani wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/washingtonski/status/1353796533246976000

That was just another journalist saying they wanted more concrete detail on sources. This journalist seems to be doubling down on it.

Fair enough. 8% is so hard to believe....

The vaccine should still be rolled out to the groups where it has proven efficacy.

If this story is correct.

It may be spin as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

titan18 wrote: »
    Ya, you probably can't give it to anyone over 60 or immuno compromised people really. And if the data isn't great, groups might feel like guinea pigs if you give it to them. Could be a car crash if it's all true.

The MHRA approved for over 65 on the basis there was no loss of efficacy in 55 with underlying conditions which is a grouping that would have similar vulnerability. It's a bit of a leap, but bigger leaps have been made on emergency approval (like H1N1 here).

8% is a load of bollocks, no graph is going to fall that much off a cliff. I imagine, it would be unprecedented for any vacine but someone can correct me on that.

The bild, seriously?

But you've already said that the US regulator is better, and they've said the available trial data isn't good enough.

How do you reconcile that?

There are different categories, clinical, emergency, etc. Some more strident than others, the yanks are looking at full approval. Not unusual for more information to be requested, unusual for it not to be.

The CDC is accepted to be the best in the world at this.

British next, that doesn't mean that they are infallible or always correct.

A key problem for the EMA is the best talent in it was British and left with Brexit. Not a skill set that can be quickly replicated or replaced.

In years to come they will probably be just as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Hopefully this is just a translating error from German to English and that everyone ACTUALLY means 80%.

• Advertisement

Danzy wrote: »
    There are different categories, clinical, emergency, etc.

The CDC is accepted to be the best in the world at this.

British next, that doesn't mean that they are infallible or always correct.

A key problem for the EMA is the best talent in it was British and left with Brexit. Not a skill set that can be quickly replicated or replaced.

In years to come they will probably be just as good.

But the CDC doesn't approve vaccines? I feel like you may be making some of this stuff up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭redarmy

Cabinet meeting in the morning expected to sign off on extending level 5 restrictions until March 5th.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Astrazeneca statement just released saying 8% is completely incorrect

• Registered Users Posts: 5,632 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Yeah hopefully this is true
    https://twitter.com/fxmacro/status/1353816858038833155?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

So the EU come out rather guns blazing this evening and looks like they've given Astrazenica a week to come back with a delivery plan. Assuming the EU are hoping the pressure they've put on will result in a very different looking schedule next week

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

What are the Germans up to :D they seem to be very emotional with the vaccines

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Really crazy and irresponsible if it's untrue.

Funny to see certain posters reactions though. Not quite joyous revelling but close enough

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

Does’t actually say what efficacy in this group is though. Dying for EMA verdict now.

• Advertisement

But the CDC doesn't approve vaccines? I feel like you may be making some of this stuff up.

It's a typo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement