Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

Danzy wrote: »
    It's a typo.

The FDA are not the toughest regulatory agency, with the very top experts. They just have the biggest clout. Their agents are not particularly well paid civil servants who when they reach a certain level move to the private sector

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Right I’m going having a whiskey!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Israel wouldn't have the results it has if it was 8% surely?!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Israel wouldn't have the results it has if it was 8% surely?!

Israel is using Pfizer only.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

That AZ statement is odd though. It doesn't reflect their published study.

• Advertisement

Ah, sorry. Got my vaccines mixed up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Danzy wrote: »
    There are different categories, clinical, emergency, etc. Some more strident than others, the yanks are looking at full approval. Not unusual for more information to be requested, unusual for it not to be.

The CDC is accepted to be the best in the world at this.

British next, that doesn't mean that they are infallible or always correct.

A key problem for the EMA is the best talent in it was British and left with Brexit. Not a skill set that can be quickly replicated or replaced.

In years to come they will probably be just as good.

The best talent left with Brexit? Are you sure?

from what I am reading in that, 5.9% of trialists were over 65.
    Baseline demographics were well balanced across COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca and control treatment groups. Overall, among the participants who received COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca, 94.1% of participants were 18 to 64 years old (with 5.9% aged 65 or older); 60.7% of subjects were female; 82.8% were White, 4.6% were Asian, and 4.4% were Black. A total of 2,070 (35.6%) participants had at least one pre-existing comorbidity (defined as a BMI ≥30 kg/m2, cardiovascular disorder, respiratory disease or diabetes). The median follow-up time post-dose 1 and post-dose 2 was 132 days and 63 days, respectively.

Of those 660 people, 2 contracted Covid. This means the results are too few to draw conclusions.
    The number of COVID-19 cases (2) in 660 participants ≥65 years old were too few to draw conclusions on efficacy. However, in this subpopulation, immunogenicity data are available, see below.

I wonder where this 8% figure comes from?

I think this sums up the last few days with this Oxford AZ business:

http://arethebritsatitagain.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Good news on the Pfizer/Israel data so far.

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1353822952664551424?s=09

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

After a lot of discipline we have now seen over the last four week a politicisation of Covid and the vaccine.

Aegir wrote: »

Of those 660 people, 2 contracted Covid. This means the results are too few to draw conclusions.

Some useful info there.

Given so much is hinging on the immunogenicity benefits in the older age groups (given not enough data for efficacy), and AZ just re-emphasised these (specifically post-2nd dose) in their press statement, it's a wonder the UK are leaving a 12 week gap between doses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Lads and lassies are any of ye getting motion sickness yet on this roller coaster ride?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

There’s something not right in AstraZeneca

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Lads and lassies are any of ye getting motion sickness yet on this roller coaster ride?

I've vomited a few times already lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

At a guess, there are too few cases to draw conclusions = a wide confidence interval. Theyre probably 95% confident the efficacy is between 8% and 98% and that's where the 8% comes from.

It's incredibly irresponsible for Bild and Handelsblatt to have published this if their sources are not very solid.

Probably irresponsible for them to have published at this stage regardless. Same goes for the Irish journalists that were quote-tweeting, but such is Twitter really.

At a guess, there are too few cases to draw conclusions = a wide confidence interval. Theyre probably 95% confident the efficacy is between 8% and 98% and that's where the 8% comes from.

so they could have said it was 98% effective, but that would have attracted less clicks.

It is a wide range, but 8% just seems like scare mongering.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Amirani wrote: »
    Some useful info there.

Given so much is hinging on the immunogenicity benefits in the older age groups (given not enough data for efficacy), and AZ just re-emphasised these (specifically post-2nd dose) in their press statement, it's a wonder the UK are leaving a 12 week gap between doses.

Pardon my ignorance, 12 week gap between doses?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Probably irresponsible for them to have published at this stage regardless. Same goes for the Irish journalists that were quote-tweeting, but such is Twitter really.

Nothing irresponsible about tweeting other sources. People would be complaining if journalists weren't doing so too, whinging about a cover up or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

And the UK based on the other group including those with chronic illness projected that it would be at the upper end of that confidence interval.

Did the US trials include over 65? Or do we've to now wait til studies from the UK come through.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Pardon my ignorance, 12 week gap between doses?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-55777084

They're giving Dose 1 and Dose 2 in the UK 12 weeks apart.

This is been particularly criticised on the Pfizer vaccine, as it's not been tested under such conditions.

It's been defended on AstraZeneca as some of the trial data supported it (they left such a gap in certain trial cohorts). I'm not sure if the trial data supports a 12 week gap for 65+ though, it would seem an even narrower subset of what's already a smallish cohort of 65+.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

so they could have said it was 98% effective, but that would have attracted less clicks.

It is a wide range, but 8% just seems like scare mongering.
    Could it be some "rule" that the lower value at 95% confidence is what is assumed/used, and that would be the outcome if the rule is applied? Though it really points to the data just not being good enough.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-55777084

They're giving Dose 1 and Dose 2 in the UK 12 weeks apart.

This is been particularly criticised on the Pfizer vaccine, as it's not been tested under such conditions.

It's been defended on AstraZeneca as some of the trial data supported it (they left such a gap in certain trial cohorts). I'm not sure if the trial data supports a 12 week gap for 65+ though, it would seem an even narrower subset of what's already a smallish cohort of 65+.

it is worth pointing out that the 12 weeks is a maximum and will depend on supply.

nearly 500,000 people have already had their second dose.

plodder wrote: »
    Could it be some "rule" that the lower value at 95% confidence is what is assumed/used, and that would be the outcome if the rule is applied? Though it really points to the data just not being good enough.

I have no idea how the EMA use the figures, but as a poster pointed out earlier, it seems very unlikely that the numbers will just fall off a cliff when some reaches 65.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The best talent left with Brexit? Are you sure?

The EMA Left London in Spring 19 for Amsterdam.

Much of its top talent stayed to work in Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

what a mess. jesus

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭quartz1

froog wrote: »
    what a mess. jesus

Complete Mess

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Hurrache wrote: »
    Nothing irresponsible about tweeting other sources. People would be complaining if journalists weren't doing so too, whinging about a cover up or something.

It shows a total cluelessness by journalists on the subject matter they are covering all bloody day that they would retweet something like that without using some form of validation. Nope as long as a someone else tweets it its fine to present as news.

Christ, if its potential catostrophic news and rte arent running with it you know it cant be right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

The 8% figure if it has any basis at all is probably very misleading, but am I right in thinking that the EMA process underway is for a "normal" approval rather than the emergency basis used by the UK? If that is the case, it would hardly be that surprising if the EMA didn't approve it for over 65's given the paucity of efficacy data for that cohort, at least until more data becomes available?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement