Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Apogee

muddypuppy wrote: »
    (I didn't see this posted) The Irish Times has an interesting article with some insights on how the vaccine distribution works in Ireland. Nothing too technical, but good to see: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/inside-the-dublin-warehouse-at-the-centre-of-the-covid-19-vaccine-rollout-1.4466656

Very good article, especially highlighting the measures required to handle the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine.

Related report from RTÉ News:
    https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1353821630636699649

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

plodder wrote: »
    The 8% figure if it has any basis at all is probably very misleading, but am I right in thinking that the EMA process underway is for a "normal" approval rather than the emergency basis used by the UK and the US? If that is the case, it would hardly be that surprising if the EMA didn't approve it for over 65's given the paucity of efficacy data for that cohort, at least until more data becomes available?

All this could be a means to deflect from the fact its not an emergency process and the valid question as to why isnt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I see that the EU are getting tougher now with travel restrictions due to the obsession with new strains, that in the current climate is probably the right thing to do. No objection from me. However it begs this question. Just say we get the population needed vaccinated ( Ireland and the EU) by the end of the year. Cases and sickness drop to getting back to normality levels...

What’s going to be story on travel i wonder. Are we still going to be quarantined and rubber gloved for the rest of our lifetimes because of the ‘just in case we pick up a new strain and bring it back and making vaccines useless’ mantra? Seems to be a big obsession of these new strains lately and is fueling the travel restrictions

It’s a worrying time for people who have family abroad.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

froog wrote: »
    what a mess. jesus

It doesn't really matter anyway, none of them do the sterilising trick

( but waaaaay better than having no vaccine), and you can be asymtomatic and spread covid.

Even if a new turbo-vaccine-now-with-sterilising-immunity it would take years and unreal amounts of money and organisation

Smallpox was the only thing eradicated way back in the 70's when the World Population about 3.5 billion
    Population now 7.8 billion

No big deal, just learn to live with it.

Be like living in a country with Rabies - don't pet the infected ones

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I see that the EU are getting tougher now with travel restrictions due to the obsession with new strains, that in the current climate is probably the right thing to do. No objection from me. However it begs this question. Just say we get the population needed vaccinated ( Ireland and the EU) by the end of the year. Cases and sickness drop to getting back to normality levels...

What’s going to be story on travel i wonder. Are we still going to be quarantined and rubber gloved for the rest of our lifetimes because of the ‘just in case we pick up a new strain and bring it back and making vaccines useless’ mantra? Seems to be a big obsession of these new strains lately and is fueling the travel restrictions.

I'd imagine that we'll only be able to travel to areas of the world with comparable levels of vaccination initially.

Eventually enough of the world will be vaccinated that rapid mutation etc. won't be as much of a concern and things will be back to normal. Things could change in the interim, but these seems the most likely route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

Reuters reporting on the two reports in Handelsblatt and Bild now

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-eu-astrazeneca-ger-idUSKBN29U2D9

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Amirani wrote: »
    I'd imagine that we'll only be able to travel to areas of the world with comparable levels of vaccination initially.

Eventually enough of the world will be vaccinated that rapid mutation etc. won't be as much of a concern and things will be back to normal. Things could change in the interim, but these seems the most likely route.

Pretty much this. We will be limited by the proportion of global the population that is vaccinated. If the virus is rampant then vaccine resistant variants are a possibility. However, once infection levels fall to levels similar to seasonal influenza it'll be less of a concern. Just a matter of getting the seasonal covid vaccine.

Least, that's how the optimist in me sees it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

What’s going to be story on travel i wonder. Are we still going to be quarantined and rubber gloved for the rest of our lifetimes because of the ‘just in case we pick up a new strain and bring it back and making vaccines useless’ mantra? Seems to be a big obsession of these new strains lately and is fueling the travel restrictions

It’s a worrying time for people who have family abroad.....

One way or another this will be over long before the rest of our life times.

Danzy wrote: »
    One way or another this will be over long before the rest of our life times.
    Definitely i agree, i was being a tad sarcastic with the “lifetime” comment :D

How fast can 2.2million Pfizer or Moderna doses get here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,715 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

In tomorrow's FT Moderna has acknowledged it's vaccine is mostly ineffective against South Africa strain. The company is to begin new trials on a product to try tackle this particular strain.

I always suspected the vaccine narrative since last March was partly a morale booster for populations first and foremost (and that's fine, people need hope of light at the end of the tunnel). My concern is that the unravelling of the narrative may only now be beginning.

I have no doubt we will get an effective vaccine but vaccines are hard and usually take a long time. Many years.

We'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

In the FT Moderna has acknowledged it's vaccine is mostly ineffective against South Africa strain. The company is to begin new trials on a product to try tackle this particular strain.

That's not quite what Moderna said. Anyway, the Moderna share price is up 12% today on the bad news that their vaccine won't work. Odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

In tomorrow's FT Moderna has acknowledged it's vaccine is mostly ineffective against South Africa strain. The company is to begin new trials on a product to try tackle this particular strain.

I always suspected the vaccine narrative since last March was partly a morale booster for populations first and foremost (and that's fine, people need hope of light at the end of the tunnel). My concern is that the unravelling of the narrative may only now be beginning.

I have no doubt we will get an effective vaccine but vaccines are hard and usually take a long time. Many years.

We'll see.

What a load of nonsense, did you even read the article?

We'll see.

Good to see your rare contribution to the thread when it suits you and your narrative.;)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

In other news on Planet Real World, the Israelis believe that so far in the vaccinated cohort vs the rest of the Israeli population, the vaccine is exceeding, slightly, the 95% effectiveness claimed from trials.

https://twitter.com/natesilver538/status/1353815228451086338?s=21

Bear in mind also that this is in older people more so, which is even better news.

Nice to have some good news to distract us from the slow moving car crash that the AstraZeneca vaccine seems to have evolved into.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

A quick Googling suggests otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Funny how the same faces keep popping up posting utter ****e

Le Bruise wrote: »
    A quick Googling suggests otherwise.

Didn’t someone post a tweet earlier where Moderna claimed their vaccine was effective against the new strains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Didn’t someone post a tweet earlier where Moderna claimed their vaccine was effective against the new strains.

Yup, and every news report I’ve seen today agrees!

Funny how the same faces keep popping up posting utter ****e

Firstly you might want to address your attitude.

Secondly you might want to actually read posts.

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1353823426834804737

• Advertisement

You should really read Moderna's statement, you're making yourself look silly.

Clearly you didnt read the article

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

Yes, still effective, but at lower levels of antibodies, which may mean protection does not last as long in the elderly, possibly necessitating this booster they are developing.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

https://twitter.com/scottehensley/status/1353820335087493122?s=21

Good summary of mRNA vax effectiveness against variants. :)

nommm wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/scottehensley/status/1353820335087493122?s=21

Good summary of mRNA vax effectiveness against variants. :)
    Can't wait to see what's next for mRNA vaccines. Really an interesting technology.

You should really read Moderna's statement, you're making yourself look silly.

I'm reading the front page of the Financial Times. It states in the third paragraph the injection only illicited production of around one sixth of the antibodies by comparison to the original virus.

That's in black and white unless you doubt it's veracity for some unspecified reason.

I'm reading the front page of the Financial Times. It states in the second paragraph the injection only illicited production of around one sixth of the antibodies by comparison to the original virus.

That's in black and white unless you doubt it's veracity for some unspecified reason.
    1/6 of a big number is still a big number. I'll trust Moderna's statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

But one sixth is adequate, because it was originally so high.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

I'm reading the front page of the Financial Times. It states in the third paragraph the injection only illicited production of around one sixth of the antibodies by comparison to the original virus.

He also said he had "zero concerns".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

We'll see.

What an incredibly misleading bad take on the news. If you care to read any of the news about it there is no suggestion that the vaccine is "mostly ineffective", rather the opposite, its still effective. The booster they are testing by the way, is simply the same vaccine but a third dose. They are also starting up a trial on a third dose of a re-engineered version of the vaccine which is designed on this variant. Don't let the facts interrupt your personal narrative though

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement