Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Probes wrote: »
    This is not true, 50% in icu are under 65. Not all younger people suffer from mild illness. Off the top of my head I can think of Steve Cotteril, a fit 50 year old football manager who is being ventilated, and also another fit football manager Paul Lambert who is 51 and said he was nearly hospitalised. It's false to say only older people get severe disease.

I said vulnerable people, which is true. It's not a falsity to say that the people most affected are in the older bracket, or people with underlying conditions such as obesity, diabetes, etc.

That's what the vaccine rollout is focusing on, more or less everywhere.

I understand younger people are suffering too, and that isn't at all what we want, but that's what hospital capacity is there for and why we must protect the hospitals. Any overload in capacity will result in more hospitalisations and ICU admissions.

EDIT: Reading back on my post - - the tone of this may sound snarky/argumentative but it isn't, I assure you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Did they get a 1st year computer science student to code a translator? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭Cork2021

What an absolute shît show!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Have they denied the part about over 65s approval?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Hardyn wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/florian_krammer/status/1353900984209182720?s=19

Florian Krammer gives a decent summary on where we are with variants and vaccines and what it all means. Well worth a read.
    Brilliant thread and just the antidote to some of the rubbish spouted on here and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Did they get a 1st year computer science student to program a translator? :pac:

They'll probably be able to make a reasonable case that the AZ results were so badly presented it was difficult to work out which number was which.
    Anyone home schooling primary school maths would already be familiar with this concept,

"Write neatly, there's no point having the correct answer if the teacher can't read it"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

The confidence interval explanation based on a small sample is more plausible. But as said you could have an interval that would bring it down to 8% worst case, but based on the data for younger people and vulnerable groups under 55 , the likehood is that it is in the upper end of that interval. Thats how UK made the recommendation and understanding since it is an emergency, its best get older groups vacinated with a jab there are slight doubts over efficacy, rather than wait 3 months for enough pfizer to come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

mandrake04 wrote: »
    hilarious eh?

Sure... People said last August there would be no more lockdowns and there has been 2 since, they said it was hilarious talking about another lockdown.

You can’t compare lockdown predictions pre vaccinated vs a post vaccinated world.

Great thread, as always from Florian Krammer, though I feel twitter may not be the absolute best platform when your thread has 44 tweets. :)

In summary - dont worry about the British variant, SA and Brazil may be of more concern, mRNA vaccines willstill perform well at least. If the British variant is the more transmissible variant -efforts should be on suppressing the others, as the less impactful to immune response British variant will out compete.

And get some Blaufränkisch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

That journalist needs to go.

Muddying the waters like that is irresponsible and reckless, all in the name of clicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭Azatadine

You would wonder if AZ have grounds to sue the paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Second part to Alex Wickham tweet

"The Handelsblatt guy has obvs had a mare but it doesn't take away from the fact that German government officials have been briefing against the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine amid EU rollout problems... pretty shocking for UK-EU relations... imagine if the shoe were on the other foot."

?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Micky 32 wrote: »
    You can’t compare lockdown predictions pre vaccinated vs a post vaccinated world.

Very True Micky, but not everyone is vaccinated yet and wont be for several months. Until then I think restrictions will stay.. I don't think they will jump from L5 to L2 straight away too much of a risk.

But if the vaccinations timeline stays on track and nothing goes wrong the real test will be October onwards... you have to assume they will still be softly softly at that stage. Really who would want to risk another January 2021?

I think the government has been badly bitten this time, they will be more cautious in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Turtwig wrote: »
    Have they denied the part about over 65s approval?

We'll see tomorrow but No smoke without fire on that bit unfortunately. There have been concerns of the sample size in the trials. Something must have egged the german rag newspapers to look into and try find something.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Azatadine wrote: »
    You would wonder if AZ have grounds to sue the paper?
    They might be better to keep their head down and get making vaccines. It's an error, a monumentally stupid one but not malicious. The timing of it makes it seem a whole lot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Second part to Alex Wickham tweet

"The Handelsblatt guy has obvs had a mare but it doesn't take away from the fact that German government officials have been briefing against the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine amid EU rollout problems... pretty shocking for UK-EU relations... imagine if the shoe were on the other foot."

?

Oh dear. It's quite apt that the EMA is based in the Netherlands considering the amount of windmilling the EU have been doing over the past 24 hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Can we please all ensure we stay on topic in this thread. That topic being Vaccine and testing procedures and not how long the government stays in power. Thank you.

This will be interesting later on. Also you’d think the Irish government would have some insight into what the EMA are going to do especially with the head of it Irish.....

https://twitter.com/ema_news/status/1354016229686534144?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

Very True Micky, but not everyone is vaccinated yet and wont be for several months. Until then I think restrictions will stay.. I don't think they will jump from L5 to L2 straight away too much of a risk.

But if the vaccinations timeline stays on track and nothing goes wrong the real test will be October onwards... you have to assume they will still be softly softly at that stage. Really who would want to risk another January 2021?

I think the government has been badly bitten this time, they will be more cautious in the future.

Come October, the EU will be knee deep in vaccines.
    Every EU country will have 60% of their population vaccinated by then and will be on course to have at least 80% of their populations vaccinated by the end of the year.
    There will only be restrictions for Christmas if we have moved to some kind of Orwellian dystopia, which most would be against.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

josip wrote: »
    Come October, the EU will be knee deep in vaccines.
    Every EU country will have 60% of their population vaccinated by then and will be on course to have at least 80% of their populations vaccinated by the end of the year.
    There will only be restrictions for Christmas if we have moved to some kind of Orwellian dystopia, which most would be against.

Maybe in theory, but even though 60-80% vaccinated by then.... vaccines still untested in the real world. Christmas/winter being the ultimate test you think they just going let it rip?

come on you have to be realistic!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Maybe in theory, but even though 60-80% vaccinated by then.... vaccines still untested in the real world. Christmas/winter being the ultimate test you think they just going let it rip?

come on you have to be realistic!!
    Actually it will, via Israel's data. This thing is not Ebola or Marburg. We don't actually need it to see it disappear, just get to where it's little more than a cold.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Actually it will, via Israel's data. This thing is not Ebola or Marburg. We don't actually need it to see it disappear, just get to where it's little more than a cold.

Exactly,
    It’ll become endemic like the common cold and flu! Vaccines will work and we will have a full AVIVA! before years end!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I presume we're one hour behind CET?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

Water John wrote: »
    I presume we're one hour behind CET?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Just from the thread posted here by someone else earlier, this is a v important tweet:
    https://twitter.com/florian_krammer/status/1353918609815445504?s=20

Just from the thread posted here by someone else earlier, this is a v important tweet:
    https://twitter.com/florian_krammer/status/1353918609815445504?s=20

73402168.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Some people are just consistently negative for no good reason. Get a thrill from it. Kind of fascinating to see how some minds work in times like these.

Moderna have said the antibody response will still be enough to provide protection and they are already developing a second generation shot as a booster, even if they don’t need it.

I wonder how long would it take to get a recalibrated version approved? Most people won't be vaccinated until May/June, might this group get a version of a Moderna or Pfizer vaccine informed by the strains that emerge in January?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

https://twitter.com/megtirrell/status/1354041623420809217?s=21

Also seen we can expect enough to vaccinate 2’000’000 people by the end of e year using j&j,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement