Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

If it’s a temporary measure that’s fine but we haven’t been told that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I have family in north America and I want to cry this evening

Try not to take Leo literally. He’s a gifted politician in the sense that he can effortlessly talk out of both sides of his mouth at once. He then can claim he was right all along at a later date.

Try not to take Leo literally. He’s a gifted politician in the sense that he can effortlessly talk out of both sides of his mouth at once. He then can claim he was right all along at a later date.

What’s there not to take literally

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Gael23 wrote: »

Literally what Leo says. He doesn't know what's going to happen any more than the rest of us. Short term yes. Christmas coming, no way.

• Site Banned Posts: 54 ✭✭Itsaduck1

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1354118086786494465

What in the sweet hell is this.

Even WITH vaccinations travel at Christmas would still be hindered? His "you can’t assume herd immunity. New variants can change things." comment is hugely dangerous at this point in time. You have a demoralised population who are looking towards the vaccine for hope, but lets pour really cold water on that right away.

And I thought Monday was bad.

Are we making any progress with treatments?

As much as I don't like Leo, vaccinating 7 billion people every year and having it wrecked by a new strain at any given moment and having to lockdown for weeks/months waiting for repurposed vaccines to inject ourselves with is a big ask

Surely we have decent treatments coming in 2022 that keep people out of hospital?

We eradicated small pox nearly 60 years ago and went to the moon in the same decade

Where are the geniuses and the advancements?

13 months in and this virus is still kicking our ass

Negative eejits like Leo should be off the news, put on ambitious scientists and fund them

• Advertisement

Itsaduck1 wrote: »

As much as I don't like Leo, vaccinating 7 billion people every year and having it wrecked by a new strain at any given moment and having to lockdown for weeks/months waiting for repurposed vaccines to inject ourselves with is a big ask

Surely we have decent treatments coming in 2022 that keep people out of hospital?

We eradicated small pox nearly 60 years ago and went to the moon in the same decade

Negative eejits like Leo should be off the news, put on ambitious scientists and fund them

We can’t live like this forever. Period.

Governments need to accept once mass vaccinations are done unfortunately there is a chance that small numbers may still die

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Malcomex

Afaik they're working on vaccines that will work on all future variants

I believe that's the holy grail now

Malcomex wrote: »
    Afaik they're working on vaccines that will work on all future variants

I believe that's the holy grail now

That’s going to take a year then another 9 months to roll out

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

We can’t live like this forever. Period.

Governments need to accept once mass vaccinations are done unfortunately there is a chance that small numbers may still die

They've already accepted that. I think we all have. That's not the govs concern though. If a vaccine resistant variant got in and the population had no suppression measures in place, cases would explode. Deaths and hospitalisations would follow.

Globe needs the disease under control for Ireland to be truly out of the risk of future lockdowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Nothing he said is set in stone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

If you think 13 months is a significant amount of time, the flu would like a word; millenia in and countless resources thrown at it and it's still hospitalising millions and killing 100s of thousands a year.
    Also, smallpox is the only example of a disease being completely eradicated, it's nowhere near as simple as you make out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Based on that (and Leo's) approach, we should stay locked up forever, safe from the threat of any kind of virus ever being imported here. These hypothetical situations are ridiculous. As a famous sportsman once said "if, if, if - doesn't exist". We can't live our lives on probabilities and possibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Do people realise that there has been no evidence at all so far that any new variant makes any approved vaccine non effective? People are talking like the vaccination program is now useless. All data so far shows that the vaccines will continue to be effective against the new varients.

The reason for the government negatively is due to the supply of vaccines. We need about 8 million doses to reach herd immunity, so far, in one month we have done 150k. We need a serious ramping up soon and there are supply issues for both vaccines we have approved.

It's not all flowers and roses but a bit of perspective, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

13 months in and we have two very effective vaccines being rolled out as we speak and more on the way. it's an unprecedented scientific achievement.

If you think 13 months is a significant amount of time, the flu would like a word; millenia in and countless resources thrown at it and it's still hospitalising millions and killing 100s of thousands a year.
    Also, smallpox is the only example of a disease being completely eradicated, it's nowhere near as simple as you make out.

Your correct and that's the frightening part, we could be fighting this for eternity

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Was just going to post this. People that are saying that Ireland would be absolutely screwed outside the EU clearly haven't looked at much in depth reporting of EU vaccination stuff as even in the EU countries aren't buying the full allowance available of Pfizer and Moderna vaccine.

In that case the Pfizer and Moderna vaccine becomes available to other EU. If we can handle these and can afford to pay (both true) then we should try and get some of these now from Romania or Bulgaria and offer them some of our allocation of Oxford or J&J in April or May.

snotboogie wrote: »
    Do people realise that there has been no evidence at all so far that any new variant makes any approved vaccine non effective? People are talking like the vaccination program is now useless. All data so far shows that the vaccines will continue to be effective against the new varients.

The reason for the government negatively is due to the supply of vaccines. We need about 8 million doses to reach herd immunity, so far, in one month we have done 150k. We need a serious ramping up soon and there are supply issues for both vaccines we have approved.

It's not all flowers and roses but a bit of perspective, please.

That's true

Vaccines at the moment all work brilliantly, we shouldnt forget that and stop the what if, a evading strain might never come to fruition

Don't know why but Leo today has given me the heebie jeebies, even though I know he's no more an epidimologist than I am, but some of his and Hancock in the UKs comments last few days would depress you

That's true

Vaccines at the moment all work brilliantly, we shouldnt forget that and stop the what if, a evading strain might never come to fruition

Don't know why but Leo today has given me the heebie jeebies, even though I know he's no more an epidimologist than I am, but some of his and Hancock in the UKs comments last few days would depress you

Prob just setting it out in case it happens

The limited quarantine seems to be window-dressing to my eye

All in all just covering their backs

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

In that case the Pfizer and Moderna vaccine becomes available to other EU. If we can handle these and can afford to pay (both true) then we should try and get some of these now from Romania or Bulgaria and offer them some of our allocation of Oxford or J&J in April or May.

Germany has already taken extra Moderna allocation that other countries haven't used. Not sure if Ireland has done the same.

Frankly, I find it flabbergasting that even a poor country would turn down the vaccines. We're only talking $18 a dose even for the most expensive (Moderna). Given the havoc the virus is wreaking on economies, it's a case of can't afford not to buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1354158567146840064?s=19

Unbeliveable update from Israel. Nearly 3% of their population got a shot yesterday. That's about the same as we have done since the start of January and they have done that with nearly twice our population!

To be fair, its not just us, they are leaving the rest of the world behind

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭Cork2021

1 dose should do.... maybe that’s our main way out of this earlier...

https://twitter.com/coronavirusgoo1/status/1354160762483257346?s=21

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

snotboogie wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1354158567146840064?s=19

Unbeliveable update from Israel. Nearly 3% of their population got a shot yesterday. That's about the same as we have done since the start of January and they have done that with nearly twice our population!

To be fair, its not just us, they are leaving the rest of the world behind

the history books that will be written about this....

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

One wonders are Varadker and Hancock et al trying to dumb down vaccine effectiveness in order to stop people thinking it's all over and letting loose.
    I would think that the dial is starting to point in the opposite direction and if this constant negative narrative continues a lot of people will begin to stop giving a flying **** about how many are in ICU or in hospital.

gally74 wrote: »
    the history books that will be written about this....

Let's see how this plays out with Israel

This is only the beginning

There could be disadvantages yet to being ahead of the pack

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭afatbollix

I really do feel depressed the past few days, The numbers are falling off a cliff after Christmas (Which we all knew was going to massively increase the numbers) We just are a social species and nothing will stop that.

Then the vaccines were going to save the days... All we had to do was get over the peak of what Christmas was going to give.

We had a baby girl 3 months ago and I'm desperate to get back to introduce her to her Grandmother and Great Grandmother.

I had the vaccine a couple of weeks ago, My wife is going to be offered the vaccine in the first group after Feb 15th (If the UK keeps on target)

My mother had her first dose on Thursday as she's a health care worker and my daughters Great Grandmother will have hers soon too.

And now they bring out the travel ban....

I have stuck to the rules the whole way through but now it's starting to get to me.

Such a stupid rule anyway it will never work. I'm off to book a flight to Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Has there been any analysis on the efficacy of the AZ vaccine against the SA and British mutations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Cork2021 wrote: »
    J&J is the real game changer when it does get approved. 2.2million doses coming our way this year from middle of April it seems.
    That’s massive. Come then we should have 1million already vaccinated all going well.
    We still have CureVac and Novovax to come as well.
    Just thinking about it we could have 70% of the adult population vaccinated by the end of June.
    Pfizer’s deliveries will get bigger as will moderna and we will have AstraZeneca in some capacity, when you’ve 4 vaccines being definitely being distributed come April I can’t see why we can’t be at level 1 come June and normality from September.

I think the current direction from the gov Inc European government s is to avoid a run and tipping point.... So if the over 70 s start to have holidays and book flights the youth will say feck it and rock on, the virus would quickly spread thru the younger ages in a short period creating the 4the and final wave......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,477 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

One wonders are Varadker and Hancock et al trying to dumb down vaccine effectiveness in order to stop people thinking it's all over and letting loose.
    I would think that the dial is starting to point in the opposite direction and if this constant negative narrative continues a lot of people will begin to stop giving a flying **** about how many are in ICU or in hospital.

You can’t let loose after getting the vaccine.
    Vaccine doesn’t stop you from getting covid and passing it on to someone who’s not got the vaccine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

This might be a silly question but as numbers vaccinated increase, will there be allowances for those fully vaccinated to meet up, visit each other etc (even house parties!) assuming they are keeping all other social contacts to a minimum?

Obviously we don't know if the vaccinated can transmit the virus onto others, but risk associated with that is pretty much eliminated if the other person / people is vaccinated and other contacts are limited?

Would we begrudge two fully vaccinated healthcare workers (for example) from different households dropping the social distancing and maybe even having a cup of tea together??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement