Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Posted this in the Astra Zeneca thread as well but it's relevant here as legitimate criticism of the EU's vaccine response has been dismissed out of hand.

From the Astra Zeneca CEO, a man that knows better than random users what his company has signed when
    But the UK contract was signed three months before the European vaccine deal. So with the UK we have had an extra three months to fix all the glitches we experienced.

https://www.repubblica.it/cronaca/2021/01/26/news/interview_pascal_soriot_ceo_astrazeneca_coronavirus_covid_vaccines-284349628/

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Any word on regular vaccine updates on the Hub? SD said they'd be daily from the 25th, but the most recent update is from Sunday and even that was only added to it this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Have we considered procuring the Chinese and Russian vaccine to try and speed things up?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Russia vaccine co in talks with EMA, not submitted yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Posted this in the Astra Zeneca thread as well but it's relevant here as legitimate criticism of the EU's vaccine response has been dismissed out of hand.

From the Astra Zeneca CEO, a man that knows better than random users what his company has signed when

https://www.repubblica.it/cronaca/2021/01/26/news/interview_pascal_soriot_ceo_astrazeneca_coronavirus_covid_vaccines-284349628/

The odd thing about that interview is that he lies several times about a 3 month delay between the UK signing a contract and the EU signing a contract. The UK contract was signed in July, and the EU one in August. If he lies about that basic detail, I'm not sure why I would believe anything else he says in the interview.

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »

Hungary have placed an order and given emergency approval but that's outside the EMA process

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/1/22/hungary-buys-russias-sputnik-v-covid-vaccine-first-in-eu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Malcomex

Have we considered procuring the Chinese and Russian vaccine to try and speed things up?

I'm going to pass on the Chinese Vaccine

I've no problem with anyone that wants it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

The odd thing about that interview is that he lies several times about a 3 month delay between the UK signing a contract and the EU signing a contract. The UK contract was signed in July, and the EU one in August. If he lies about that basic detail, I'm not sure why I would believe anything else he says in the interview.

We have posters here saying that their interpretation of the EU/AZ contract is correct, despite having never seen it, while the EU's interpretation of the contract the EU themselves created and agreed to is wrong. No amount of logic can get through to them.

Asked this in the other thread too, can I get a link too what the UK signed in July? Because I have the feeling people are confusing the UK signing an agreement about additional doses with the initial agreement.

Because we have this from May
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/funding-and-manufacturing-boost-for-uk-vaccine-programme

And it's a bold claim to see he is flat out lying something he will be called on.

Edit: could also be that the UK agreed and payed whereas EU didnt

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Water John wrote: »

The Sputnik V?

• Advertisement

We have posters here saying that their interpretation of the EU/AZ contract is correct, despite having never seen it, while the EU's interpretation of the contract the EU themselves created and agreed to is wrong. No amount of logic can get through to them.

So your saying the CEO is telling an outright lie in a major interview or doesn't know what his company signed.

Yet boards posters who can't even provide links to highlight the events they are talking about and have never seen the contracts (as they are confidential) are lying.

Yeah I am failing to see the logic too but it's not the way your thinking.

Edit: this being the same thread where someone adding together the northern Ireland vaccinations and the Republics one together and then saying that the Irish vaccine program is going great gets a load of thanks, colour me sceptical.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

jackboy wrote: »
    Take no notice of varadker. He is just being spiteful because the public are behind the quarantine. He did similar to NPHET before Christmas. He is just making that stuff up to intentionally punish people.

I remember some on here before Christmas saying that we should be hearing more from the politicians and less from NPHET (as per UK).

Well it's ****ing abysmal, they're just spouting all sorts of ill informed rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Asked this in the other thread too, can I get a link too what the UK signed in July? Because I have the feeling people are confusing the UK signing an agreement about additional doses with the initial agreement.

Because we have this from May
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/funding-and-manufacturing-boost-for-uk-vaccine-programme

And it's a bold claim to see he is flat out lying something he will be called on.

Edit: could also be that the UK agreed and payed whereas EU didnt

My apologies, you are correct. The UK deal looks to have been signed in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

https://twitter.com/HeriRiosColin/status/1354147589915090944?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

That article Melanchthon posted is excellent, Soriot is a great communicator, essential reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

So your saying the CEO is telling an outright lie in a major interview or doesn't know what his company signed.

Yet boards posters who can't even provide links to highlight the events they are talking about and have never seen the contracts (as they are confidential) are lying.

Yeah I am failing to see the logic too but it's not the way your thinking.

Edit: this being the same thread where someone adding together the northern Ireland vaccinations and the Republics one together and then saying that the Irish vaccine program is going great gets a load of thanks, colour me sceptical.

But why is it that when the AZ CEO says something you place total trust in it, while when the EU says the opposite they're just lying?

You accuse others of being blindly pro-EU, but with no evidence you take the side of the AZ CEO over that of Ursula Van Der Leyen based on nothing more than "well he'd hardly lie".

But why is it that when the AZ CEO says something you place total trust in it, while when the EU says the opposite they're just lying?

You accuse others of being blindly pro-EU, but with no evidence you take the side of the AZ CEO over that of Ursula Van Der Leyen based on nothing more than "well he'd hardly lie".

Well I could well be wrong, I have never ran a business etc and terrible at contract stuff, but nobody is actually giving links to what has been signed and when, and there is that UK agreement, now maybe the agreement wasn't a official signing over of money?
    I'd just like some links to back up the side that backs up the gap between signings is only being a month.

That article Melanchthon posted is excellent, Soriot is a great communicator, essential reading.

Thank Brickster69 on the other thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

AZ claiming they haven't committed to a specific number but to merely try their best at reaching that number..
    https://twitter.com/DarrenEuronews/status/1354176791485804546?s=20

AZ claiming they haven't committed to a specific number but to merely try their best at reaching that number..

Even if they don't publish it publicly it should be released to national governments/parliament's especially if Astra Zeneca consent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Jeez that doesn't sound like a contract at all

I'd be shocked if the EU left it that wishy washy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

RTE are a desperately miserable shower

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Jeez that doesn't sound like a contract at all

I'd be shocked if the EU left it that wishy washy

"Best Endeavours" is a very common part of commercial contracts especially for a new product.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭Cork2021

lawred2 wrote: »
    RTE are a desperately miserable shower

Expand?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Expand?

Really don't need to. It's self evident.

Ooops think I'm in the wrong thread...

Oh actually just noted something in the interview. Maybe I should be more skeptical of this interview after all.
    Lots of very smart people are working for regulators, we must have approval now in 10 or 12 countries, including the U.K., of course, which is a very strong, very tough regulator.

The UK is still running on emergency use approval isn't it? that does seem like a disingenuous statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Rezident

marno21 wrote: »
    In other news on Planet Real World, the Israelis believe that so far in the vaccinated cohort vs the rest of the Israeli population, the vaccine is exceeding, slightly, the 95% effectiveness claimed from trials.

https://twitter.com/natesilver538/status/1353815228451086338?s=21

Bear in mind also that this is in older people more so, which is even better news.

Nice to have some good news to distract us from the slow moving car crash that the AstraZeneca vaccine seems to have evolved into.

Good news indeed. Maybe if RTE and the government could take a break from their ill-informed bashing of the Israeli government, they could learn a thing or two about getting things done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

They are not trying their best, they are favouring the UK.

Yevon wrote: »
    Best efforts would not include diverting stock to the UK. Best efforts in this context would be manufacturing best efforts surely.

Yep, if they have diverted supply there may be a big issue.

If what they are saying about the yield from the EU manufacturing chain being about one third of what was planned is true, then it might just be a case of tough luck.

Potential solution could be to make up some of the shortfall from manufacturing elsewhere, but I think the EMA approval also requires the manufacturing sites to be checked so could take time for example to approve production from India and it's unlikely any country is going to be keen to reduce their own supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Oh actually just noted something in the interview. Maybe I should be more skeptical of this interview after all.
    Lots of very smart people are working for regulators, we must have approval now in 10 or 12 countries, including the U.K., of course, which is a very strong, very tough regulator.
    The UK is still running on emergency use approval isn't it? that does seem like a disingenuous statement.
    UK & Argentina approved it for emergency use.
    It's also approved in India, Mexico, Brazil, Hungary & Pakistan.
    So approved in 7 countries, 2 of which were under emergency use.
    I'm surprised the CEO doesn't know what counties it's approved in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Could someone give me a brief rundown of the last 24 hours regarding the bickering about vaccines. Seeing a ton of vitriol online from British about the EU.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement