Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,621 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Cork2021 wrote: »
    End of 2022? Come on your just having a fûcking laugh now. We will have done our bit and moved on from this crap well by that time!

Again, short-termism.

Doing your bit at the moment hasn't been that successful, now has it?

Ireland did its bit in lockdown last March, April and May. We gave ourselves a good pat on the back, while we enjoyed the last few weeks of summer with fewer restrictions..

Well, how did that work out?

It is just not enough anymore to vaccinate Ireland and think we are just done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

markodaly wrote: »
    Again, short-termism.

Ireland did its bit in lockdown last March, April and May. We gave ourselves a good pat on the back, while we enjoyed the last few weeks of summer with fewer restrictions..

What bollix you type. You seem to be stuck in your little past world when there were no vaccines on the horizon and lockdowns were the only answer. Vaccines have been proved to have a 90% efficacy and near 100% serious disease prevention. The data is out there and if you disagree show your evidence that they are not.

When hospitals and deaths are going to be practically non existent post vaccinations we’ll see how long your restrictions you love seeing imposed on people will last.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Colm Henry expects Group 4 (non patient contact healthcare workers) to be vaccinated in April. Group 1-3 comprises 550k people as comparison

https://twitter.com/HSE_HR/status/1353647163667046400

• Registered Users Posts: 14,621 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Micky 32 wrote: »
    What bollix you type. You seem to be stuck in your little past world when there were no vaccines on the horizon and lockdowns were the only answer. Vaccines have been proved to have a 90% efficacy and near 100% serious disease prevention. The data is out there and if you disagree show your evidence that they are not.

When hospitals and deaths are going to be practically non existent post vaccinations we’ll see how long your restrictions you love seeing imposed on people will last.

Where am I hinting that I love restrictions?
    This goes back to my previous posts to you, that instead of arguing the facts, you pigeon hole people into a nice little box, to save yourself the effort to engage.
    So, you just make up stuff about them.

The facts are on my side here.
    Israel has closed its borders even though they are far and away the best at vaccinating its people.
    https://www.jta.org/quick-reads/israel-closes-its-borders-including-for-citizens-and-immigrants-in-effort-to-curb-covid-19

Ireland, the UK, and other EU nations are doing the same in various degrees.
    Why do this, this late in the game, when we are about to mass vaccinate people?
    The answer to that question is thus self-evident.

When Leo is talking about the long game, people get upset, yet NPHET would even be talking a longer game and a more restrictive game.
    Yet, I presume they know more than Leo and NPHET. Am I right?

Anyway, the idea we get back to Feb 2020 living this year is not reality and we will get there probably sometime late 2022.

Again, that is not to say we will have level 5 lockdown till September or December or anything like that, but we will have various restrictions on the movement of people and mass gatherings well into next year and possibly beyond.

It seems once again you ignored what i wrote in my post and continue on with your narrative. Once people are vaccinated and deaths hospitals decline the restrictions will ease, there will be no reason for them. They are the facts and i have repeatedly argued with you about them. The data is out there. They are 90% plus efficacy and near 100% prevent serious disease. That’s a very strong argument.

It’s quite obvious why Israel borders are closed. You keep it supressed until the population( or most of it) is vaccinated. New Zealand themselves have said they’ll open up for tourists once their population is vaccinated. I accept we have to be cautious to make sure the vaccines do work, common sense. It seems you are the one looking at it with a “one dimensional point of view”

So you think the facts are on your side? You’re opinion is no different than anyone elses. You’re no expert on here no more than the rest of us.

• Advertisement

Just browsing through Worldometer. Seems very positive. There seems to very significant drop in cases in most countries. Along with the vaccine roll on Autumn/Winter :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Feel a bit discouraged with vaccines after yesterday. With the government pushing more and more restrictions what’s vaccination going to achieve if it doesn’t allow things to get back to normal for fear of new variants

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Gael23 wrote: »
    Feel a bit discouraged with vaccines after yesterday. With the government pushing more and more restrictions what’s vaccination going to achieve if it doesn’t allow things to get back to normal for fear of new variants

As has been said a few times, what was posed to varakdar was a hypothetical situation, if it wasn't asked it would never have been brought up. Honestly take what he said with a giant pinch of salt.

On the flip side earlier in the press conference he said vaccination let's us deal with it like we do the flu but here we are focused on the opposite end of the scale.

They can't predict next month never mind 6 months down the line, honestly don't be fretting over what was said.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

As has been said a few times, what was posed to varakdar was a hypothetical situation, if it wasn't asked it would never have been brought up. Honestly take what he said with a giant pinch of salt.

On the flip side earlier in the press conference he said vaccination let's us deal with it like we do the flu but here we are focused on the opposite end of the scale.

They can't predict next month never mind 6 months down the line, honestly don't be fretting over what was said.

It’s more around the travel regulations, but then like much of the rules it will not really be enforced I imagine. I was taking the vaccine to allow me to do things like that again later this year, not for 6-9 months mind

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

markodaly wrote: »
    Again, short-termism.

It is just not enough anymore to vaccinate Ireland and think we are just done.
    So, what do you imagine "done" looks like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Gael23 wrote: »

Reasons to be cheerful:
    AZ supplies begin Feb 7th now instead of 14th
    Moderna supplies increasing slightly
    Pfizer upping production

We're in first gear at the moment, edging into 2nd gear in February and by the time April comes we'll be in 5th gear with J&J and possibly CureVac hitting the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Reasons to be cheerful:
    Pfizer upping production

We're in first gear at the moment, edging into 2nd gear in February and by the time April comes we'll be in 5th gear with J&J and possibly CureVac hitting the market.
    I normally visit this thread for a bit of knowledge and optimism. Thanks for bringing that back a little bit...... Some of the other posts were getting me down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Reasons to be cheerful:
    Pfizer upping production

And the likelihood of new treatments from Eli Lily as well. On top of increased vaccine numbers from Pfizer March onwards is when we really shift through the gears

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Reasons to be cheerful:
    Pfizer upping production

Has there been any recent news regarding CureVac of late, besides the deal they signed with Bayer?

From my vet limited research, it seems the EU have funded them massively, and you'd imagine with all the recent shenanigans, we'd be keeping the vast majority of those vaccines, if approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

And the likelihood of new treatments from Eli Lily as well. On top of increased vaccine numbers from Pfizer March onwards is when we really shift through the gears

Bearing all that in mind, and assuming our govt know the same, why were they so negative yesterday? I mean, it was one of the most hopeless press conferences I've seen since this thing started.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Bearing all that in mind, and assuming our govt know the same, why were they so negative yesterday? I mean, it was one of the most hopeless press conferences I've seen since this thing started.

maybe it's the thought of all this coming to an end that has them so down..

politicians love being the center of attention

lawred2 wrote: »
    maybe it's the thought of all this coming to an end that has them so down..

politicians love being the center of attention

They might feel they need to under promise and have some pessimistic views so that when we do open up they’ll be seen as the heroes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Malcomex

They might feel they need to under promise and have some pessimistic views so that when we do open up they’ll be seen as the heroes!

My thinking too

The old market salesman's trick of starting off high

They drop the price and customers snap the hand off them

On vaccine distribution they have been properly cautious and predictions for each week remain modest and will probably stay that way till we see supplies go up from March.

Back to Israel! Severe cases in people over 60 continue to decline!!

https://twitter.com/coronavirusgoo1/status/1354353209922478084?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭eoinbn

Reasons to be cheerful:
    Pfizer upping production

Depends on how many gears you have. We will surely be going at a much faster rate but even a million doses a month puts us at just 2m people vaccinated by the end of June. We will also need to vaccinate a lot more people with the most difficult vaccine to handle. At least it is arguably the best of the vaccines.
    A slow first 3 months, maybe even 4, will put huge pressure on the HSE to vaccinate 1.5-2m people per month. I don't think they have planned for those numbers.
    Has there been any recent news regarding CureVac of late, besides the deal they signed with Bayer?

From my vet limited research, it seems the EU have funded them massively, and you'd imagine with all the recent shenanigans, we'd be keeping the vast majority of those vaccines, if approved.

I wouldn't expect to hear too much until the middle of March. 2 doses with 4 weeks between each dose. They started P3 trials in mid December ao hopefully people have had their second shot by now. Maybe if the first shot is very effective we might start to hear information a bit sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Still s possibility EMA might not approve AZ for over-65s this week. Wondering if this is such a bad thing. Under 65s are responsible for the vast majority of virus spread. And while vaccinating over 65s would result in a sharp drop in mortality rates compared to case loads, I have my doubts that we would see an easing of lockdown restrictions if there's still a threat of case numbers rising exponentially. Might be just what we need to actually drive down the spread somewhat and give a bit of breathing space while we continue to try and vaccinated the vulnerable with Pfizer/Moderna. It would be politically impossible to focus on super spreaders first with a full approval.

• Site Banned Posts: 54 ✭✭Itsaduck1

Back to Israel! Severe cases in people over 60 continue to decline!!

https://twitter.com/coronavirusgoo1/status/1354353209922478084?s=21

Unreal

We will know what the future holds because of Israel in the next few weeks

Itsaduck1 wrote: »
    Unreal

We will know what the future holds because of Israel in the next few weeks

There's still uncertainty over new variants

• Registered Users Posts: 30,100 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Stark wrote: »
    Still s possibility EMA might not approve AZ for over-65s this week. Wondering if this is such a bad thing. Under 65s are responsible for the vast majority of virus spread. And while vaccinating over 65s would result in a sharp drop in mortality rates compared to case loads, I have my doubts that we would see an easing of lockdown restrictions if there's still a threat of case numbers rising exponentially. Might be just what we need to actually drive down the spread somewhat and give a bit of breathing space while we continue to try and vaccinated the vulnerable with Pfizer/Moderna. It would be politically impossible to focus on super spreaders first with a full approval.

Concern is that the AZ vaccine may not be as strong as others at preventing transmission:
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-12-08/astra-shot-better-at-stopping-covid-than-slowing-transmission

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Malcomex wrote: »
    There's still uncertainty over new variants
    Not really, the SA one is the only real concern and they'll all make boosters as required.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Wish I lived in Israel currently anyway.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Not really, the SA one is the only real concern and they'll all make boosters as required.

That's the optimistic view

Hopefully it transpires

• Registered Users Posts: 15,365 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

titan18 wrote: »
    Wish I lived in Israel currently anyway.

No one apart from people in Israel want to live in Israel.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 54 ✭✭Itsaduck1

is_that_so wrote: »

True and I've read the current vaccines might be less efficacious ( as in you'll catch the virus ) but didn't read they won't stop severe illness

I might be wrong here, as no expert but does it really matter if vaccines are less efficacious

Isn't stopping people getting sick the most important thing?

Are people still ending up in hospital after vaccines?

Or is it rare?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement