Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Without being at risk of sounding like a Q-Anon disciple, some of the mainstream media outlets are awful showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Without being at risk of sounding like a Q-Anon disciple, some of the mainstream media outlets are awful showers.

Its seems like as long as you have a twitter account and can quote someone else no matter if they are wrong or not, you get away with the **** reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

The list of lawsuits against AZ keeps growing.

What is the J&J vaccine, I don’t know much about this one, is it mRNA or more traditional?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Gael23 wrote: »
    The list of lawsuits against AZ keeps growing.

What is the J&J vaccine, I don’t know much about this one, is it mRNA or more traditional?

Viral vector, Ad26, similar to Oxford/AZ and almost identical to Sputnik V (booster dose).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

funnydoggy wrote: »

Their race to be first outweighs their desire to be factual.

Hmmzis wrote: »
    Viral vector, Ad26, similar to Oxford/AZ and almost identical to Sputnik V (booster dose).

So same storage requirements as AZ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Their race to be first outweighs their desire to be factual.

"Journalism" pretty much no longer exists. All we get now is "reporters" who just report what ever rubbish they hear from whoever. There is no analysis, fact checking or editing. The demise of journalism is one of the great problems of our age, and I can't see a way to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

It was actually reported at the time (Dec 8 2020) in the Irish Times (someone else dug it up in a Reddit thread):
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/health-pharma/supply-of-covid-vaccine-doses-held-up-by-manufacturing-delays-1.4430676

So for sure, 4million doses were sent over at that time, and a promise was made for a further 20 million. I can see the AZ perspective here as well, in that the EU process was too slow, but it would seem the breach of contract did occur. This is somewhat inevitable, given the size of the EU compared to a single ex member-state. They were not exported for extra profit, but out of impatience and desires to see results on their vaccines that would help it win contracts elsewhere, I would venture.

They might say the EU process was too slow, but they hadn't even applied for approval at that time so the EMA process couldn't have been too slow at the time.

• Advertisement

So same storage requirements as AZ?

Yup, regular fridge will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

titan18 wrote: »
    They might say the EU process was too slow, but they hadn't even applied for approval at that time so the EMA process couldn't have been too slow at the time.
    They primarily mean the finalisation of the purchase in September, as opposed to the UK in May. The UK were securing advance stocks before authorisation as well, and got stocks from the continental plants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

"Journalism" pretty much no longer exists. All we get now is "reporters" who just report what ever rubbish they hear from whoever. There is no analysis, fact checking or editing. The demise of journalism is one of the great problems of our age, and I can't see a way to fix it.
    Agree completely. It's no criticism to the posters on here, but a damning indictment of our "media" that I've been more informed from reading here than any newspaper article/radio-tv report. Sad state of affairs.

A good lunchtime read regarding the variants, vaccine efficacy and tweaked booster shots:

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/01/vaccine-20-moderna-and-other-companies-plan-tweaks-would-protect-against-new

No drama, calm and composed explanations of the concerns at hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Vital Transformation

Sanofi producing the EU doses for Pfizer sounds promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Agree completely. It's no criticism to the posters on here, but a damning indictment of our "media" that I've been more informed from reading here than any newspaper article/radio-tv report. Sad state of affairs.

But just like the media out there, in here you have to Wade through the nonsense. You only need to see the different takes on news to see that what actually happens is a lot of people are searching for the news they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

is_that_so wrote: »
    Based on what?

By Sticking ones finger up your ass and holding it up in the air to see which way the wind is blowing.:pac: that is what it’s based on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

The end game of this was originally vaccines but now they are here we are getting tougher and tougher restrictions

Here’s what will probably happen. As the vaccines yield results we’ll start dipping the toes in the water to see what works. As the toe dipping continues the cases/ sickness will be monitored. Normality will be like a snowball at the top of a hill begining to roll down. It begins gathering speed and mass faster and faster.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    By Sticking ones finger up your ass and holding it up in the air to see which way the wind is blowing.:pac: that is what it’s based on.
    I see you're feeling better today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

probably planted it themselves

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Here’s what will probably happen. As the vaccines yield results we’ll start dipping the toes in the water to see what works. As the toe dipping continues the cases/ sickness will be monitored. Normality will be like a snowball at the top of a hill begining to roll down. It begins gathering speed and mass faster and faster.

I suppose my worry is vaccinating everyone won’t prevent against new variants which is the reason for the closed border

I suppose my worry is vaccinating everyone won’t prevent against new variants which is the reason for the closed border
    That seems to suggests you think there will be permanent ongoing battle against variants. Vaccines will protect and ideally knock out some or all of the transmission ability. That's bad news for new variants especially as vaccine producers say they can address that quickly. This panic over these current strains is their potential to spread very fast and undermine current efforts to control outbreaks. None of them seem to fully escape immunity responses, which would be more of a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

Sanofi producing the EU doses for Pfizer sounds promising.
    Sounds like it will be a useful experience for them as they have their own mRNA candidate in development as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

plodder wrote: »
    Sounds like it will be a useful experience for them as they have their own mRNA candidate in development as well.

Delivery not expected until July, so doesn't really help us now unfortunately. Looks like it'll be a long year

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

I don’t think the variants are as big of a concern in relation to the vaccine. The problem with SARS-CoV-2 is that there was no level of immunity in the community, hence, we are in the situation we are in. Once vaccinated, the majority of the population will have some immunity to the new varients. I really can’t see such big mutations happening so soon that none of the antibodies generated by the vaccine are effective against the new varients. It would definitely be the worst of a worst case scenario.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

nommm wrote: »

The emergency services had to work round the clock last week to keep that every plant from flooding last week.

Would be expecting hazard pay for employees there at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭Russman

titan18 wrote: »
    Delivery not expected until July, so doesn't really help us now unfortunately. Looks like it'll be a long year

I think more so a long first half of the year but an exceptional second half. We'll likely have good supplies of Pfizer, AZ and hopefully J&J and one other by the summer. I'm hoping by then there's a big wave of optimism and we're banging out 1m+ jabs per month and it'll gain a momentum of its own almost.
    Probably foolishly optimistic but hey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement