Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,631 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/01/vaccine-20-moderna-and-other-companies-plan-tweaks-would-protect-against-new

Decent article posted here some pages back.
    This bit is key.
    But other researchers say the plethora of recent changes is a warning sign that the coronavirus may have more surprises in store—and that the world needs to administer existing vaccines as fast as possible. “I think we need to stop the virus from replicating however we can,” Ho says. “Otherwise, it will keep accumulating more mutations.

Hence the rush to control the borders.

Confirms my suspicion that a booster type of vaccine will be inevitable next year.
    I guess only then will we actually get back to normal, late on 2022.

This year appears to be a write off though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

All vulnerable people here will be vaccinated fairly soon. The major rollout will happen April to July, by which time most adults will have been vaccinated. This is subject to enough supplies from a number of sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭Cork2021

markodaly wrote: »
    https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/01/vaccine-20-moderna-and-other-companies-plan-tweaks-would-protect-against-new

Decent article posted here some pages back.
    This bit is key.

Hence the rush to control the borders.

Confirms my suspicion that a booster type of vaccine will be inevitable next year.

Ahhhhhhh goodman.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

froog wrote: »
    Sputnik V has it's own website and social media accounts. just saying.

https://sputnikvaccine.com/

Sputnik, the bastard child of Skynet and a Space Rocket.

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Ahhhhhhh goodman.

Well given that fact that we will not be allowed to go abroad this year, and possibly into early next year, I guess my earlier predictions are proving more correct by the day.

It was kinda obvious really. I know people thought if we got x amount of people vaccinated in y months, we can all open up to the world and be like it was in Feb 2020, it is understandable from a personal point of view, but we know now this will not be the case for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

That's not inevitable

Way, way too early to say this. Let's wait until we have more than three percent of the population vaccinated first perhaps?

It's 27th January

El Sueño wrote: »
    That's not inevitable

But highly likely, as per the article.

On one hand, we have people here saying, not to worry about the new variants because Moderna and others are already working on tweaking their vaccines, yet when I raise the probability that people will need a booster to combat these new varients, people dismiss it?

Two competing arguments don't make much sense.

Way, way too early to say this. Let's wait until we have more than three percent of the population vaccinated first perhaps?

And the government coming out and saying travel will most likely be curtailed to 2022 can be ignored?

But highly likely, as per the article.
    On one hand, we have people here saying, not to worry about the new variants because Moderna and others are already working on tweaking their vaccines, yet when I raise the probability that people will need a booster to combat these new varients, people dismiss it?

While the booster thing is possible I think it's a bit early to say it's inevitable. The performance of the vaccines as they are now could be more than sufficient against the variants for all we know.
    And the government coming out and saying travel will most likely be curtailed to 2022 can be ignored?

Even if travel is curtailed I don't think it's correct to say the entire year is written off. Also I wouldn't base anything on a few soundbites from the stooges in government. And again, it's way, way too early to predict anything at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Why is an annual booster seen as such a negative?

Van.Bosch wrote: »

I wouldn't see it as a negative at all if it meant normality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,790 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Is that what they said? Or what you chose to hear?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Where do I sign up. Anything other than this. I wouldn’t consider myself sensitive at all but living life like this is definitely getting me down lately.

It’s just the same day in, day out. Rinse & repeat.

El Sueño wrote: »
    While the booster thing is possible I think it's a bit early to say it's inevitable. The performance of the vaccines as they are now could be more than sufficient against the variants for all we know.

100% it will be inevitable, especially for older and vulnerable people.

Even if travel is curtailed I don't think it's correct to say the entire year is written off. Also I wouldn't base anything on a few soundbites from the stooges in government. And again, it's way, way too early to predict anything at this stage.

So, who are the authoritative people we should be listening to?

100% it will be inevitable, especially for older and vulnerable people.

I don't agree but time will tell
    So, who are the authoritative people we should be listening to?

There are none. That's probably beyond the scope of this thread though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Nasty squabble about the vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Because people view the vaccine rollout as the endgame, which it should be and can't deal with it not ending this. What happens post-vaccination is still unknown and people are filling that space with all sorts of Z movie disaster movie stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

is_that_so wrote: »
    Because people view the vaccine rollout as the endgame, which it should be and can't deal with it not ending this. What happens post-vaccination is still unknown and people are filling that space with all sorts of Z movie disaster movie stuff!

an annual booster is hardly Z movie disaster movie stuff

sure there's an annual flu vaccine :confused:

doubt it would be required by everyone anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

A few papers confirming the Pfizer delivery schedule is returning to normal again, increased delvieries due in the coming weeks, Moderna delivery due this week also, not big numbers i might add but at least it'll cover the 2nd dose for GPs etc done through the mass vaccination centres recently

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

is_that_so wrote: »

No issue whatsoever from me about an annual booster once life gets back to full normality and no restrictions “just in case”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Even where the distribution is faster, it'll take a decade to cover the whole population.
    In Italy they provided 120k vaccines in a week, though they received nearly 500k doses. This means that, if they keep this pace, which is highly probable, it will take nearly 15 years to just cover 75% of the population. Wow!
    At 120k per week it will take just over 7 years to vaccinate 75% of the population of Italy. Now what makes you think that as supply increases the number of vaccinations will not increase? Bare in mind this was also the first week

Well, just to reply my own post and raind's, if after a week it was too early to gauge the effectiveness of the vaccination campaign, one month later it doesn't seem we (over here) have done much better.
    One month into the campaign, and we are at 1.3 million people with one injection only, now they are beginning the second shot (fewer than 300k people done). It'll take another month to give the second shot to the remaining 1 million people.

If we do 1.3 million people in two months, it'll take nearly 6 years to give the vaccine to 70% of the population.
    I wasn't too wrong, it seems... Over here, we're too slow.

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »
    an annual booster is hardly Z movie disaster movie stuff

sure there's an annual flu vaccine :confused:

doubt it would be required by everyone anyway
    Yes, I know that but some people are shocked that it's even being mentioned and are living in abject terror of new variants.

Gael23 wrote: »
    No issue whatsoever from me about an annual booster once life gets back to full normality and no restrictions “just in case”
    Of course not but it's the reasoning behind the need for boosters that is freaking some people out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mark1916

Pfizer-BioNTech say its Covid vaccine is effective against UK and South Africa variants

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0128/1193545-virus-vaccine/

Moderna say the same. The only small dark spot is the possible reduced efficacy for AZ but they are getting to work on a booster solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

A summary of the current EU state of play on vaccines.

https://euobserver.com/coronavirus/150747

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Sorry if this has been asked before but is there anywhere to see when people will get the vaccination?
    My parents are in their 80s and live in Kildare and have heard nothing yet other relatives who live in Laois and are in their 70s have gotten letters about their vaccination appointment.

I know it'll vary by county but I thought the plan was all the over 85s (not in nursing homes) to have been next

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

A few papers confirming the Pfizer delivery schedule is returning to normal again, increased delvieries due in the coming weeks, Moderna delivery due this week also, not big numbers i might add but at least it'll cover the 2nd dose for GPs etc done through the mass vaccination centres recently

Good news. What will be the increased number coming in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

frash wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked before but is there anywhere to see when people will get the vaccination?
    My parents are in their 80s and live in Kildare and have heard nothing yet other relatives who live in Laois and are in their 70s have gotten letters about their vaccination appointment.

I know it'll vary by county but I thought the plan was all the over 85s (not in nursing homes) to have been next

Can I ask when the appointment is for? Considering we don't even know when we're getting the vaccines needed for the general age-based vaccinating, I'd be surprised if any GP would be brave enough to put a date on it.

• Advertisement

Can I ask when the appointment is for? Considering we don't even know when we're getting the vaccines needed for the general age-based vaccinating, I'd be surprised if any GP would be brave enough to put a date on it.
    Donnelly is still saying a planned mid-February start. There's a fair chance that group will be vaccinated via Pfizer and Moderna anyway so the current AZ situation will not affect it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement