Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Can I ask when the appointment is for? Considering we don't even know when we're getting the vaccines needed for the general age-based vaccinating, I'd be surprised if any GP would be brave enough to put a date on it.

One has a date for the end of Feb and the other has a date in March

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

frash wrote: »
    One has a date for the end of Feb and the other has a date in March

Older people in my area have received the same type of letters and they were scams . Just letting you know

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Older people in my area have received the same type of letters and they were scams . Just letting you know

Who were the letters from and how would the scammer get money from them ? Its worrying if the older people are not aware of this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Who were the letters from and how would the scammer get money from them ? Its worrying if the older people are not aware of this

I don't know the ins and outs as i didn't see the letter myself. However a lady in front of me in the post office was showing the girl behind the till her letter about getting a vaccine. She was told it didnt look legitimate and looked like a scam .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

So since it seems they want to just extend and extend ****ing lockdowns forever, is there any ****ing point getting this vaccine ???

My wife is getting it soon , she works in a hospital and I said I'd get it ASAP as I want to go back to Ireland one day in the next year, but now all that seems to be banned ... no ****ing point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    There are a few scams going around.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-55811161

The method varies, but by and large the goal is to extract money from people by having them pay directly for it, or hand over too much personal information which can then be used for identity theft.
    In some cases, it can be gangs trying to scope out where the old people live and whether they're living alone.

There have even been cases of door-to-door scams;
    https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-britain-fraud/uk-scammers-tricking-victims-into-paying-for-fake-covid-vaccines-idINL8N2JM3UZ

They probably need to start running TV ads on this. The vaccination programme will require no registration, no deposits, no personal info.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I was absolutely fuming listening to Prof Luke O Neill on newstalk awhile ago. They were talking about vitamin D supplements as an additional tool to fight against Covid. He was saying there are studies out there indicating it may be very beneficial but lobbying by the government by some experts similar to Prof O Neill was getting no where. Jesus Christ I thought. You've professors in this area advising the simplest of things - take vitamin D as a means of fighting this pandemic and the government won't run with that message?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

TomSweeney wrote: »
    So since it seems they want to just extend and extend ****ing lockdowns forever, is there any ****ing point getting this vaccine ???

My wife is getting it soon , she works in a hospital and I said I'd get it ASAP as I want to go back to Ireland one day in the next year, but now all that seems to be banned ... no ****ing point.

So you just want the vacine to travel home at somepoint, not bothered about the opportunity to getting on with more of your usual daily lives?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

SeaFields wrote: »
    I was absolutely fuming listening to Prof Luke O Neill on newstalk awhile ago. They were talking about vitamin D supplements as an additional tool to fight against Covid. He was saying there are studies out there indicating it may be very beneficial but lobbying by the government by some experts similar to Prof O Neill was getting no where. Jesus Christ I thought. You've professors in this area advising the simplest of things - take vitamin D as a means of fighting this pandemic and the government won't run with that message?!
    Because there have been no proper clinical trials done so far. Some are ongoing. They do advocate Vitamin D, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

is_that_so wrote: »
    Because there have been no proper clinical trials done so far. Some are ongoing. They do advocate Vitamin D, though.

Is it not a food supplement?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

seamus wrote: »
    There are a few scams going around.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-55811161

The method varies, but by and large the goal is to extract money from people by having them pay directly for it, or hand over too much personal information which can then be used for identity theft.
    In some cases, it can be gangs trying to scope out where the old people live and whether they're living alone.

There have even been cases of door-to-door scams;
    https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-britain-fraud/uk-scammers-tricking-victims-into-paying-for-fake-covid-vaccines-idINL8N2JM3UZ

They probably need to start running TV ads on this. The vaccination programme will require no registration, no deposits, no personal info.

I got a whatsapp message passed around about scammers ,Basically it was a condensed message from the HSE

https://www.thejournal.ie/people-warned-of-scam-text-message-covid-vaccine-5334855-Jan2021/

PEOPLE HAVE BEEN asked to be aware of possible scam text messages and phone calls relating to the Covid-19 vaccine.

An Garda Síochána, the HSE and the Department of Health issued the joint advice today – emphasising that your GP will be the first point of contact for a vaccine, and that it is free.

In recent days, Gardaí said that it was made aware of members of the public having received “fraudulent” text messages and calls regarding Covid vaccination

lbj666 wrote: »
    Is it not a food supplement?
    In dairy yes and cereals too I think.

lbj666 wrote: »
    So you just want the vacine to travel home at somepoint, not bothered about the opportunity to getting on with more of your usual daily lives?

Of course, the point is they aren't gonna change anything even when we are vaccinated - they are admitting it allready, no travel for all of this year even though vulnerable will be vaccinated by summer ???

The point of restrictions is to protect the hospitals, they will be protected once vulnerable are vaccinated.

edit yes we know young healthy people can be hospitalised too, but as a % of the population it's not much, not enough to slam hospitals anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

It is just something else they need/want to sell as a supplement to make money out of this crisis.

It is just something else they need/want to sell as a supplement to make money out of this crisis.
    Vitamin D is a good thing anyway. Telling people of the merits of something without having at least confirmed it is a good thing is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Of course, the point is they aren't gonna change anything even when we are vaccinated - they are admitting it allready, no travel for all of this year even though vulnerable will be vaccinated by summer ???

The point of restrictions is to protect the hospitals, they will be protected once vulnerable are vaccinated.

edit yes we know young healthy people can be hospitalised too, but as a % of the population it's not much, not enough to slam hospitals anyway.

Feeling the same. No point in getting the vaccines if there is no end to restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yes, don't listen to their BS. They seem to love delivering bad news at the moment for whatever reason. I'm supportive of virus suppression measures for the most part (bull**** exercise distance limits and the like aside) but damnit, I'll probably be out there shouting with the hi-viz wearing headbangers at the GPO if they try keeping unnecessary restrictions after herd immunity is reached.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Vitamin D is a good thing anyway. Telling people of the merits of something without having at least confirmed it is a good thing is not.

Cheers is_that_so. I hear what you are saying but from what was being described there are studies to show it may be beneficial? He mentioned some as I recall. At least that was my understanding of what Prof O Neill was saying.

Stark wrote: »
    Yes, don't listen to their BS. They seem to love delivering bad news at the moment for whatever reason. I'm supportive of virus suppression measures for the most part (bull**** exercise distance limits and the like aside) but damnit, I'll probably be out there shouting with the hi-viz wearing headbangers at the GPO if they try keeping unnecessary restrictions after herd immunity is reached.

Yeah sorry for the rant, I made the mistake of looking at the zero covid thread this morning.

depressing doesn;t even begin to describe it

SeaFields wrote: »
    Cheers is_that_so. I hear what you are saying but from what was being described there are studies to show it may be beneficial? He mentioned some as I recall. At least that was my understanding of what Prof O Neill was saying.
    Yeah but AFAIK mostly studies by doctors on their own patients, not a proper clinical trial. Health authorities tend to be far more cautious about promoting untested remedies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭seamie78

Gael23 wrote: »
    Feeling the same. No point in getting the vaccines if there is no end to restrictions

imho opinion the extra restrictions for international travel are being brought in for 2 reasons, the first being to protect against the virus and different strains being brought in, the second being a quick amendment could exempt people whom are vaccinated from these restrictions.

Its interesting that all of Europe are talking along similar lines in relation to international travel

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

seamie78 wrote: »
    imho opinion the extra restrictions for international travel are being brought in for 2 reasons, the first being to protect against the virus and different strains being brought in, the second being a quick amendment could exempt people whom are vaccinated from these restrictions.

Its interesting that all of Europe are talking along similar lines in relation to international travel
    Your probably right but there’s no indication it’s only until vaccines are rolled out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Of course it is a good advice, but sounds strange this kind of suggestion comes out now, and not two years ago, for instance.
    Furthermore, Vitamin D is available for free in lots of foods, without having people to buy pills, tablets, or vials of expensive stuff. We are seeing lots of commercials of these supplements.

This is what I meant with my previous post.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ShadowTech

I feel exactly the same. The prospect of the vaccines protecting the hospitals in the near future and getting my life and the lives of my family back on track was the only thing keeping me going. Now that the powers that be are stating that even if the entire population is vaccinated we will not see normal I don't see the point anymore. Coupled with the imposition of even more restrictions (travel, etc.) and talk of lockdowns lasting most of the year and no pushback from the population to provide any hope... :(

Your probably right but there’s no indication it’s only until vaccines are rolled out

that's my point its an easy way of making a vaccine necessary for international travel, you are not taking away peoples rights, but instead you are giving extra privileges to people(like myself) who will get vaccinated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

The second part is a wet dream for some types, but it won't happen.

Problem is if vaccinated people can spread it that won't make much sense, letting people in that are vaccinated that can spread it to unvaccinated people is the problem.

Will only be lifted when sufficient % of destination countries are vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

Listening to a Conservative MP holding court on the Claire Byrne show about the AstraZeneca controversy: "Once Britain is vaccinated then we are in a position to help others".

Like fúck. EU dropped the ball here, and Farage et al are dining out on it.
    I think it was a mistake to wait for full approval of the vaccine, but that should only result in us being whatever number of weeks behind the UK that the approval took to complete. This production problem had to be either:

a) known to AZ when they signed the EU contract in which case it should have been disclosed by them and accounted for in the contract

b) (more likely) came after the contract was signed and should affect all customers equally.

Even if AZ have some secret agreement with the UK that shouldn't change anything and they should be taken to the cleaners in every EU nations' courts. I think the EU should be threatening to literally bankrupt the company if they don't play fair.

Problem is if vaccinated people can spread it that won't make much sense, letting people in that are vaccinated that can spread it to unvaccinated people is the problem.

Will only be lifted when sufficient % of destination countries are vaccinated.

we don't know yet but early signs suggest that vaccinated people transmit the disease at greatly reduced rates, the reason the don't say this for definite is that wasn't tested at the trials

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Literally just got a text message from the GP asking to register for the vaccine waiting list. Wife and I are 39 and 40. Two kids aged 4 and 6. No medical conditions. I know we'll be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down the list, but it feels good to think there's stuff happening behind the scenes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement