Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Kerry25x wrote: »
    Takes minutes to mix the injection, as far as I know they're just mixed with normal saline? And they're multidose vials so just mix them and draw them up one at a time. There should be plenty time for the vacinator to do the paperwork if they have a day to give 30-60 injections.

I always take my flu shot at work and its a conveyor belt of people getting shot up and then back to work/home. Definately not 5 minutes between shots, don't see any need for that. Can only pray that it'll be more efficient when they start rolling it out to hospital staff.

CDC guidelines on preparation and administration

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/info-by-product/pfizer/downloads/prep-and-admin-summary.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjOlI6b8ebtAhX1URUIHUQSCoMQFjABegQIBBAK&usg=AOvVaw3lWZBDeIiENRjnOBRgRoVi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

What happens if you have a resident or two in a nursing home you cannot receive a vaccination due to either allergys/immune situation etc or medications they are on? Do they need to be separated for a couple of weeks from those including staff receiving the vaccine? A bit worried if staff become asymtomatically infectious even if it is a small risk. Anyone know what the UK did? Had this been talked about or answered anywhere before? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

And if ye remember from my earlier posts we have alot of 80+ers in the family.. I am concerned about one in particular who is housebound and normally only leave by ambulance etc. Is there provision for them in the plan either to get it at home or be collected by the ambulance service etc?

I have another one in their 80s who wants to wait a while longer, and another on meds that might mean they will have to wait till they are finshed them. I will respect their wishes but those that mean if they decide in march then they join that group who is getting it then?

Having to organise logistics..the rest are either a definite no or yes...which is much easier. I dont expect necessarily an answer straightaway but if anyone comes across info please post or pm. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

speckle wrote: »
    What happens if you have a resident or two in a nursing home you cannot receive a vaccination due to either allergys/immune situation etc or medications they are on? Do they need to be separated for a couple of weeks from those including staff receiving the vaccine? A bit worried if staff become asymtomatically infectious even if it is a small risk. Anyone know what the UK did? Had this been talked about or answered anywhere before? Thanks

There's no live virus involved in the current vaccines, so this isn't an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Russman

Hmmzis wrote: »
    CureVac's NHP challenge study results:

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.12.23.424138v1

Not complete sterilizing protection like for Novavax and J&J studies but to me looks a bit better than Oxford's results while they used a similarly high viral challenge dose.

They're in phase 3 now.

Are J&J expected (however tentatively) to produce better results than Oxford, and/or sterilising protection ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭mike8634

astrofool wrote: »
    There's no live virus involved in the current vaccines, so this isn't an issue.

Vaccinated can be contagious to non vaccinated

No challenge trial has been done to prove otherwise

This Covid vaccine journey wont be so straight forward, will be alot of bumps and barricades in the road for us

It just takes one strain to be resistant and we will be in the **** for months again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭Marhay70

mike8634 wrote: »

This Covid vaccine journey wont be so straight forward, will be alot of bumps and barricades in the road for us

It just takes one strain to be resistant and we will be in the **** for months again

According to the experts, at least the MRNA vaccines are adaptable to any foreseeable mutation of the Covid virus. If there's another s*itstormn it'll likely be from another source.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Well, yes, if someone carries the virus, vaccinated or not, they can still pass it on (to what degree is in question, but surface to surface contact won't be eliminated), but that is independent of whether the person is vaccinated or not, the vaccinated person should still be following all safety protocols as usual, but they are not able to pass on COVID due to having one of the current COVID vaccines (it would need to come from an outside source).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

MRNA vaccines targeting the spike protein can be modified and rolled out with 6 weeks they said.

They are currently questioning if they will need to go through the approval process again which they don’t believe will be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,100 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

astrofool wrote: »
    but they are not able to pass on COVID due to having one of the current COVID vaccines (it would need to come from an outside source).

What do you mean by this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

MRNA vaccines targeting the spike protein can be modified and rolled out with 6 weeks they said.

They are currently questioning if they will need to go through the approval process again which they don’t believe will be the case.

I thought the current vaccines are/were effective against the new mutation/strains?

I thought the current vaccines are/were effective against the new mutation/strains?

They are because the spike protein hasn’t changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Yes they believe so, the vaccines target multiple sites of the spike protein, Dr Sahin of BioNTech said everything so far shows they won't have issues with it. He said in the highly unlikely event that there was an issue with a variant it would take 6 weeks to tweak any vaccine in the future

Yes they believe so, the vaccines target multiple sites of the spike protein, Dr Sahin of BioNTech said everything so far shows they won't have issues with it. He said in the highly unlikely event that there was an issue with a variant it would take 6 weeks to tweak any vaccine in the future

6 weeks, plus manufacturing, plus distribution?

That could turn into months with no vaccine for a novel virus?

We havent even vaccinated one person in this country yet and already we are hearing about issues with variants

Vaccines wont give them Covid directly, but vaccines are not sterilising so they can still get Covid in the wild and be contagious to others

They believe it will be rare for that to happen

Without challenge trials we will have to wait and see if that's true or not

You'd imagine it wont be a big issue

6 weeks, plus manufacturing, plus distribution?

That could turn into months with no vaccine for a novel virus?

We havent even vaccinated one person in this country yet and already we are hearing about issues with variants

There currently is no issue. They believe the current vaccines will work against all current mutations

There currently is no issue. They believe the current vaccines will work against all current mutations

I know, thats good news if true, we dont need that right now

I am just speculating about one that wont

What’s interesting also is the Moderna where actually working on mRNA vaccines against flu and had started clinical trails before COVID came along

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

I hope to f*ck the vaccines are coming sooner than that for the first group. Absolutely sickening if it's the 11th!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

funnydoggy wrote: »
    I hope to f*ck the vaccines are coming sooner than that for the first group. Absolutely sickening if it's the 11th!!!!

Well the next 2 weeks are crucial :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭zzdp

Daughter got tested today ! Does anyone know the turn around time and are the labs working over xmas

zzdp wrote: »
    Daughter got tested today ! Does anyone know the turn around time and are the labs working over xmas

I don’t know, but I’d imagine there would be a skeleton service so you might just be waiting a day longer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Well the next 2 weeks are crucial :D

LOL

Happy Chrimbo dude!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Donnelly has signed the authorisation for Pfizer vaccine in Ireland. Not completely useless then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

management and admin are gone on holidays until 11th January lads.
    Thats why this isnt starting until then.

An absolute disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dockysher

Vaccines are starting next week, I know for a fact. Why do people love spreading doom and gloom so much il never know

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dockysher

skelliser wrote: »
    management and admin are gone on holidays until 11th January lads.
    Thats why this isnt starting until then.

An absolute disgrace.

Fake news

• Registered Users Posts: 11,656 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

dockysher wrote: »
    Vaccines are starting next week, I know for a fact. Why do people love spreading doom and gloom so much il never know
    I know they're starting next week too inside hospitals it's the nursing homes is an issue

I know they're starting next week too inside hospitals it's the nursing homes is an issue

Who is getting them in hospitals?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,656 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Gael23 wrote: »
    Who is getting them in hospitals?
    COVID wards nurses/doctors

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement