Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Fantastic news from Pfizer. Those mRNA vaccines just get better and better.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Sanjuro wrote: »
    Literally just got a text message from the GP asking to register for the vaccine waiting list. Wife and I are 39 and 40. Two kids aged 4 and 6. No medical conditions. I know we'll be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down the list, but it feels good to think there's stuff happening behind the scenes.

Oh really. I haven't gone for an appointment with my GP in about two years. Wonder if I should give him a phone call. Though I'm guessing it's probably not a national waiting list, just your GP getting ahead of the curve for when his/her supply comes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Listening to a Conservative MP holding court on the Claire Byrne show about the AstraZeneca controversy: "Once Britain is vaccinated then we are in a position to help others".

Like fúck. EU dropped the ball here, and Farage et al are dining out on it.

I thought it was hilarious (and indicative of Claire's naivety - maybe ignorance) when she posed the question should the UK not be thinking of other countries rather than adopting a UK-first approach. Maybe someone should tell Claire than charity starts at home when there's a pandemic raging and people are dying in hospitals. Imagine if Ireland has secured their own supply of vaccines and instead of the general population getting their vaccine asap, the government started shipping it to the UK.

Donnelly just confirmed in the Dail that dentists will be involved in the rollout

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭celt262

Donnelly just confirmed in the Dail that dentists will be involved in the rollout

Giving Jabs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Stark wrote: »
    Oh really. I haven't gone for an appointment with my GP in about two years. Wonder if I should give him a phone call.

Personally, I haven't been to the doc in about the same length of time, thankfully. However, the kids, being the ages they are have had a couple of visits. I'm sure it's a blanket text to all registered people, but again, stuff happening. I'd been planning on getting a pharmacy vaccine if available, as I did with the flu vaccine. But we'll see in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Literally just got a text message from the GP asking to register for the vaccine waiting list. Wife and I are 39 and 40. Two kids aged 4 and 6. No medical conditions. I know we'll be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down the list, but it feels good to think there's stuff happening behind the scenes.

Centric Health GP? Got a message like that as well from them. Website has been updated with link to form. Unless they have been hacked into oblivion. Will give them a call to check if it's legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I don't have a GP (I'm also miles down the list so not an issue), I assume they'll have a system for people like me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Of course, the point is they aren't gonna change anything even when we are vaccinated - they are admitting it allready, no travel for all of this year even though vulnerable will be vaccinated by summer ???

The point of restrictions is to protect the hospitals, they will be protected once vulnerable are vaccinated.

edit yes we know young healthy people can be hospitalised too, but as a % of the population it's not much, not enough to slam hospitals anyway.

Hate to say it but this is a common misconception, the hospitalization rate is around 3.5% for cases under 55 , only a portion would be eligible for a jab in group 7. So that percentage may seem small but extrapolated out to cases a day well into the 1,000s like after xmas or more, it wouldnt take long of hospital numbers to mount up. Unfortunately that means continued means to suspress it, but nothing as severe as now.

Its why its really important that as many as possible under 55 are vacinated soon after to not just protect themselves but to not be that even very very slight potential burden on the health service. Cause slight adds up when you are talking about 10,000s of people.

No officials every said we were done with restrictions once the at risk groups were done by the way.

Hmmzis wrote: »
    Centric Health GP? Got a message like that as well from them. Website has been updated with link to form. Unless they have been hacked into oblivion. Will give them a call to check if it's legit.

Yup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Yup.

Called them up, the registration form on their homepage is legit.

That's fairly intelligent from that GP, get the list sorted now so when they get the go-ahead in the future they can start straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yup.
    Even if it is legit, it's the dodgiest looking form. What in the name of feck are they thinking? I'm not sure they're saving themselves any effort here. They'll just spend the next six months dealing with, "I registered to get the vaccine with youse but I haven't got an appointment yet, what's going on?"

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

AdamD wrote: »
    I don't have a GP (I'm also miles down the list so not an issue), I assume they'll have a system for people like me.

Same for me. Since moving to Dublin I've had no illnesses (touch wood) so I never registered with a GP

seamus wrote: »
    Even if it is legit, it's the dodgiest looking form. What in the name of feck are they thinking?

It does say "We know this looks a bit scammy but rest assured it's not a scam" on it :D

Weirdly enough, their closest location to me seems to be co-located with the GP I've used previously.

seamus wrote: »
    Even if it is legit, it's the dodgiest looking form. What in the name of feck are they thinking? I'm not sure they're saving themselves any effort here. They'll just spend the next six months dealing with, "I registered to get the vaccine with youse but I haven't got an appointment yet, what's going on?"

I'd imagine it needs to be fairly simple to use for the less computer literate. If my mam's anything to go by it would need to be incredibly simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

AdamD wrote: »

Yeah the plan is to have a portal where you can register and get an appointment.

GPs will also have access to a portal where they can book in their paitents

I'd imagine it needs to be fairly simple to use for the less computer literate. If my mam's anything to go by it would need to be incredibly simple.

It's more that it directs you to a weird third party domain.

Stark wrote: »
    It's more that it directs you to a weird third party domain.
    That's clearly explained at the top of the page, Wufoo is a commonly used survey app

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

lbj666 wrote: »
    Hate to say it but this is a common misconception, the hospitalization rate is around 3.5% for cases under 55 , only a portion would be eligible for a jab in group 7. So that percentage may seem small but extrapolated out to cases a day well into the 1,000s like after xmas or more, it wouldnt take long of hospital numbers to mount up. Unfortunately that means continued means to suspress it, but nothing as severe as now.

Its why its really important that as many as possible under 55 are vacinated soon after to not just protect themselves but to not be that even very very slight potential burden on the health service. Cause slight adds up when you are talking about 10,000s of people.

No officials every said we were done with restrictions once the at risk groups were done by the way.

Tbf that 'portion' under 55 in group 7 is quite significant. Outside of that group the rate of hospitalisation is much lower among under 55s.

• Advertisement

Have Astra Zeneca clarified if their second quarter production is likely to meet or come close to it's original target?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Deathofcool

Some good news today, apologies if it has been posted all ready, but great to see the state sponsored news publishing something optimistic for a change. On the RTE website Pfizer-BioNTech say vaccine 'effective' on new variants.

polesheep wrote: »
    Tbf that 'portion' under 55 in group 7 is quite significant. Outside of that group the rate of hospitalisation is much lower among under 55s.

I have never got a real handle of what that portion is, but ive heard of plenty healthy people under 55s in hospital and other while not the healthiest would not have the chronic conditions to fall under group 7. Even say its 1% that do not fall under group 7, it does all add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

He also said we'd all be vaccinated by sept. Then said he never said that.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Cole

is_that_so wrote: »
    Donnelly is still saying a planned mid-February start. There's a fair chance that group will be vaccinated via Pfizer and Moderna anyway so the current AZ situation will not affect it.

This is what I'm wondering about for my parents. Delays aside, the plan seems to be Astrazeneca to be distributed to GPs to start vaccinating Group 3/people aged 70 and older in February...but with Groups 1 and 2 vaccinated by then, there's still going to be Pfizer and Moderna supplies to be used elsewhere. Any insight out there into how they'll decide who gets what in February/March?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Some good news today, apologies if it has been posted all ready, but great to see the state sponsored news publishing something optimistic for a change. On the RTE website Pfizer-BioNTech say vaccine 'effective' on new variants.

Yes but unfortunately you’ll still have certain posters on here posting that the vaccines might not work against the strains. It doesn’t seem to register with them or do they want to believe it..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

SeaFields wrote: »
    He also said we'd all be vaccinated by sept. Then said he never said that.....
    He said that was contingent on getting the deliveries. We're no longer getting the promised deliveries so can no longer commit to the date yet. Still might happen, but - as is - it's going to more difficult pending of course other vaccines coming online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭Cork2021

• Registered Users Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭Apogee

lbj666 wrote: »
    I have never got a real handle of what that portion is, but ive heard of plenty healthy people under 55s in hospital and other while not the healthiest would not have the chronic conditions to fall under group 7. Even say its 1% that do not fall under group 7, it does all add up.

I've posted this based on UK stats previously - Ireland probably quite similar:
    541064.jpg

• Advertisement

Apogee wrote: »
    I've posted this based on UK stats previously - Ireland probably quite similar:
    541064.jpg

Doesnt break it down by whether they have the specific conditions in the group 7 priority or what the UK equivalent is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement