Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Can anyone explain "confidence interval" please?

My understanding is that a 95% confidence interval means you're 95% confident that the actual result (in this case efficacy) is between two particular values.

For example, in the SA trial that included HIV positive cases they're 95% confident that the efficacy is between 6.1% and 72.8%.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Cork2021

In the week ending mid night Wednesday.

Poor enough. Thought we’d be getting 6k weekly not 3k

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Can anyone explain "confidence interval" please?
    In the South Africa Phase 2b clinical trial, 60% efficacy (95% CI: 19.9 – 80.1) for the prevention of mild, moderate and severe COVID-19 disease was observed in the 94% of the study population that was HIV-negative.
    Novavax are 95% confident the efficacy is somewhere between 19.9 and 80.1
    The midway point of that is 60.2 = 60%

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Haven't read the thread properly yet but one question sorry if it was covered.
    So the astvaccine isn't approved for over 65s? Is this due to the immune system and it could have undesirable side effects?
    How about immunocompromised people? Same?
    Anyone know if any of the current vaccines have any trials on immuno compromised people?

Astra Zenaca hasn't been approved at all yet. The German immunisation group decided that because the trial data is poor in older people that they can't place any reliance on the trial results. As such Germany won't approve the vaccine for over 65s even if the EMA do.

I believe 8% of the people in the Atra Zenaca trial were 55+.

• Site Banned Posts: 54 ✭✭Itsaduck1

astrofool wrote: »
    and the high efficacy of mRNA vaccines is amazing, but really because the vector is much more direct than older vaccine tech.

Honestly i'm far from an expert, but it does seem like mRNA are the superior product and the future?

Oxford, Novavax, J&J etc with the old inactivated virus or protein based vaccine's vs mRNA remind's me of the ICE vs EV switch over that's happening, just can't compete.

• Advertisement

Itsaduck1 wrote: »
    Honestly i'm far from an expert, but it does seem like mRNA are the superior product and the future?

Oxford, Novavax, J&J etc with the old inactivated virus or protein based vaccine's vs mRNA remind's me of the ICE vs EV switch over that's happening, just can't compete.
    These are the first ever mRNA vaccines so it is definitely the future

• Registered Users Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Water John wrote: »
    I could be wrong but, is there any reason why a specific age would mean a major drop in efficacy?

The older you get, the harder it is for the human body to fight off infections and create antibodies. One of the reasons why older people die at such rates with Covid-19.

Age is definitely a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,328 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Man that SA strain is legit then, i'm pretty shocked at those results tbh, I was expecting a few percentage of a drop, maybe 80% or 75% at worst, but 50%.

90% for the old variant vs 50% for the SA variant is an insane difference, these are not challenge trials either, it might be only 50% because the other 50% didnt even come in contact with the virus?

If they had challenge trials I would hate to see the efficacy then, might be well below 50%.

How's that even possible anyway?

I thought the vaccine targeted the spike protein and Covid infects that way by latching onto the spike protein.

Is the SA variant infecting another way then?

Was explained to me earlier on here that for the vaccine's targeting the spike protein not to work, the virus would have to mutate in a way that it would be less contagious/worse at binding, the SA variant is going against that theory, as it's supposed to be more contagious and having no problems latching onto spike protein

Suppose my question is, how is it more contagious and evading the vaccine's?

Bit worried now tbh

Does the SA variant have diplomatic immunity?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Man that SA strain is legit then, i'm pretty shocked at those results tbh, I was expecting a few percentage of a drop, maybe 80% or 75% at worst, but 50%.

90% for the old variant vs 50% for the SA variant is an insane difference, these are not challenge trials either, it might be only 50% because the other 50% didnt even come in contact with the virus?

If they had challenge trials I would hate to see the efficacy then, might be well below 50%.

How's that even possible anyway?

I thought the vaccine targeted the spike protein and Covid infects that way by latching onto the spike protein.

Is the SA variant infecting another way then?

Was explained to me earlier on here that for the vaccine's targeting the spike protein not to work, the virus would have to mutate in a way that it would be less contagious/worse at binding, the SA variant is going against that theory, as it's supposed to be more contagious and having no problems latching onto spike protein

Suppose my question is, how is it more contagious and evading the vaccine's?

Bit worried now tbh

Certainly a cause for concern, and if you think the SA variant is bad, apparently and the data isn't complete here, the Brazillian variant is worse again.

The EU are wise to stop all travel to and from Brazil.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Drexel_3

Was there ever any evidence presented to back up the German papers claims of only 8% in over 65s?

• Advertisement

Drexel_3 wrote: »
    Was there ever any evidence presented to back up the German papers claims of only 8% in over 65s?

The papers misunderstood.

The Germans said that there was too few older people involved in the trial (8% over 55) and that they couldn't be confident in the efficacy in that age group as the confidence interval was too high.

The science was not poor. There was just not enough older people tested in that age group to make a decision. Still no reason for one EU member to come out with it's verdict before the whole group released it's findings.

That means the science is poor :)

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Drexel_3

The papers misunderstood.

The Germans said that there was too few older people involved in the trial (8% over 55) and that they couldn't be confident in the efficacy in that age group as the confidence interval was too high.

That's some mistake to make! You'd wonder was there reasons behind not including more over 65s in the trials.

Look at the confidence interval. Humongous pinch of salt.

That's what I like to hear

Thanks ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,633 ✭✭✭brickster69

Astra Zenaca hasn't been approved at all yet. The German immunisation group decided that because the trial data is poor in older people that they can't place any reliance on the trial results. As such Germany won't approve the vaccine for over 65s even if the EMA do.

I believe 8% of the people in the Atra Zenaca trial were 55+.

Are you sure about that, seems strange.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Are you sure about that, seems strange.

The German equivalent of Karina Butler (head of our national immunisation advisory Committee) came out today and said so.

I find it odd too.

markodaly wrote: »
    Certainly a cause for concern, and if you think the SA variant is bad, apparently and the data isn't complete here, the Brazillian variant is worse again.

The Brazilian one is worse?

Again sorry I haven't read up much on the in's and out of these variants

I presumed the Brazil and SA were similar as saw Leo etc bundle them together

Whats different about it?

The German equivalent of Karina Butler (head of our national immunisation advisory Committee) came out today and said so.

I find it odd too.

Don't know if this is one of the reasons

Read early on, like last June or something that Oxford one is a more traditional vaccine and it can make people a little unwell for a day or two, a little unwell for a day or two might be ok if your 30 but if your 90? Could be fatal

Are they worried Oxford one might be a danger to the really old or is it just lack of data?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

This narrative again. Whilst I agree that travel should be restricted until we get vaccinated, there is currently nothing to fear. Did you see the headlines this morning? Or choose to ignore them. Pfizer vaccine works against SA variant. As does Moderna. But I'm sure people will keep looking for other variants to instill fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

This narrative again. Whilst I agree that travel should be restricted until we get vaccinated, there is currently nothing to fear. Did you see the headlines this morning? Or choose to ignore them. Pfizer vaccine works against SA variant. As does Moderna. But I'm sure people will keep looking for other variants to instill fear.

It’s hilarious i posted back here this morning that you will still get these type posts despite the fact that it’s being confirmed vaccines are still effective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Micky 32 wrote: »
    It’s hilarious i posted back here this morning that you will still get these type posts despite that it’s being confirmed vaccines are still effective.
    Indeed - there are none so blind as those who will not see!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Indeed - there are none so blind as those who will not see!

Spot on!!

This narrative again. Whilst I agree that travel should be restricted until we get vaccinated, there is currently nothing to fear. .

You agree with restricting travel, yet there is nothing to fear?

A lovely contradiction there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

El Sueño wrote: »
    My understanding is that a 95% confidence interval means you're 95% confident that the actual result (in this case efficacy) is between two particular values.

For example, in the SA trial that included HIV positive cases they're 95% confident that the efficacy is between 6.1% and 72.8%.

But that's such a wide percentage range no? That's the thing that confused me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Right. Very basic statistics.

You run a test in a trial group. Your trial group is small so there's a chance it doesn't reflect the whole population.

So you run your result and your trial group data through various formula and you say that your result is 50% and you are 95% confident that the real result is between 25 and 75.
    Novavax are 95% confident the efficacy is somewhere between 19.9 and 80.1
    The midway point of that is 60.2 = 60%
    El Sueño wrote: »

Thanks folks, I appreciate that!

Lol that's some wide range. Is that normal? Seems like they're taking a wild guess.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    It’s hilarious i posted back here this morning that you will still get these type posts despite the fact that it’s being confirmed vaccines are still effective.

There was a drop in efficiency according to the report, and it was a lab setting, not an actual trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,633 ✭✭✭brickster69

Don't know if this is one of the reasons

Read early on, like last June or something that Oxford one is a more traditional vaccine and it can make people a little unwell for a day or two, a little unwell for a day or two might be ok if your 30 but if your 90? Could be fatal

Are they worried Oxford one might be a danger to the really old or is it just lack of data?

Well i think about 5 million people in that age group have had it in the UK and India have sent out millions all over, you would expect to of heard something by now about it that there had been side effects from it.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Lol that's some wide range. Is that normal? Seems like they're taking a wild guess.
    It means that the sample size wasn't near large enough to draw a conclusion like they did

There was a drop in efficiency according to the report, and it was a lab setting, not an actual trial.
    You know that's how it works right?

It went from absolutely amazing to amazing.

• Advertisement

Basically it means that they probably didn't include enough people in their trial for it to be worth anything.

The Oxford Astra Zenaca has similar confidence interval problems (with over 65s) and the German immunisation group raised that as an issue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement