Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

But that's such a wide percentage range no? That's the thing that confused me.
    Exactly. A very wide confidence interval means the results are rubbish. If they are saying the confidence interval is between 1% and 99% you know the data is meaningless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

markodaly wrote: »
    You agree with restricting travel, yet there is nothing to fear?

A lovely contradiction there.
    Restricing travel, keeping us within 5km, washing hands, wearing masks, distancing. These are all necessary measures to prevent spread of the virus whilst the vaccine is being administered. I don't think many are arguing against those. However, they are not in place because of some hypothetical variant which is "inevitible". But of course you see a contradiction where you want to see it, but yet apparently can't see the good news today. Selection bias is tought to reason with..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

There was a drop in efficiency according to the report, and it was a lab setting, not an actual trial.

Whatever the drop was is minuscule, they are still effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

You know that's how it works right?

It went from absolutely amazing to amazing.

Sure, and in 9 months time, when a new variant pops up, it could go to dog****.
    What I have been saying all along, some sort of boosters will be needed to counter these new variants and travel restrictions of some sort will exist well into next year.

This is not a controversial statement.

Good to see Novavax enrolled a good portion of people over 65 in their UK trial (27%), you'd have to wonder what AZ/Oxford were doing enrolling so few.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

There was a drop in efficiency according to the report, and it was a lab setting, not an actual trial.
    I've good (in your case, probably bad) news for you - it still works. I realise that must be really tough to accept but please stop grasping at imaginary scenarios in an effort to vindicate your previous posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Restricing travel, keeping us within 5km, washing hands, wearing masks, distancing. These are all necessary measures to prevent spread of the virus whilst the vaccine is being administered. I don't think many are arguing against those. However, they are not in place because of some hypothetical variant which is "inevitible". But of course you see a contradiction where you want to see it, but yet apparently can't see the good news today. Selection bias is tought to reason with..

When I was talking about travel, I am talking about foreign holidays, international borders closing, people not allowed in or out of Ireland due to these restrictions.
    Do you agree with these restrictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Good to see Novavax enrolled a good portion of people over 65 in their UK trial (27%), you'd have to wonder what AZ/Oxford were doing enrolling so few.

They mostly used health workers. Who mostly retire about the age of 65 :pac:

When I was talking about travel, I am talking about foreign holidays, international borders closing, people not allowed in or out of Ireland due to these restrictions.
    Do you agree with these restrictions?

You seem to have a bee in your bonnet about travelling, i'm curious.. have you an issue with travelling in general as a matter of interest.?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

Haven't read the thread properly yet but one question sorry if it was covered.
    So the astvaccine isn't approved for over 65s? Is this due to the immune system and it could have undesirable side effects?
    How about immunocompromised people? Same?
    Anyone know if any of the current vaccines have any trials on immuno compromised people?
    I don't think there is any doubt about this vaccine's safety. The question is only about whether it's effeective in over 65s.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 54 ✭✭Itsaduck1

Well i think about 5 million people in that age group have had it in the UK and India have sent out millions all over, you would expect to of heard something by now about it that there had been side effects from it.

That's true

Definitely would have heard

What are the EMA at then?

Another trial for elderly?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Hopefully the AZ and Gamaleya collaboration ( Sputnik) yields strong results. Info about it here:
    https://theconversation.com/amp/coronavirus-why-combining-the-oxford-vaccine-with-russias-sputnik-v-could-make-it-more-effective-152873

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭landofthetree

• Registered Users Posts: 15,961 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Have to acknowledge the speed at which the UK rolled out their vaccines.

And here we are nodding mindlessly at our own/EU timetable. Brexit my backside, keeping people safe is working for them and the UK should be applauded for their speed.

Meanwhile, here we are waiting, and waiting. Sick of it TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Worth also noting the SA trial was only Phase 2 compared to the UK trial which was phase 3

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Limited reference to the confidence intervals on the South Africa data in that article. Novavax should have put more context in their headlines here because those figures would be worrisome to someone who hasn't been given complete context.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Malcomex

And here we are nodding mindlessly at our own/EU timetable. Brexit my backside, keeping people safe is working for them and the UK should be applauded for their speed.

We've the hand out like a poodle the same way as always

Defence

Lapdog at the whitehouse on Patrick's day

EU money

In a few months when they are all vaccinated we should do a mass exodus over there. If they get back to normal before us there might be emmigrations :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

As I noted in the other thread, would Novaxax even finalize a deal (currently in negotiation), if they do the EU could block any export of the vaccine until their order is complete and they have clients that have signed up to them months ago.
    If they don't finalize the deal they would still be able to export safely as its not a ban on vaccine just on ones with an EU order unfulfilled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Sure, and in 9 months time, when a new variant pops up, it could go to dog****.
    What I have been saying all along, some sort of boosters will be needed to counter these new variants and travel restrictions of some sort will exist well into next year.

This is not a controversial statement.

You’d be fairly unrelenting with the misery, wouldn’t you?

Chances of a new variant coming along that completely evades the vaccines is fairly low....but to you it’s a case of ‘when’ rather than a very big ‘if’!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,633 ✭✭✭brickster69

Itsaduck1 wrote: »
    That's true

Definitely would have heard

What are the EMA at then?

Another trial for elderly?

They don't want to approve AZ because if it is approved who is going to pay 10 X more for something else.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Malcomex wrote: »
    We've the hand out like a poodle the same way as always

Defence

Lapdog at the whitehouse on Patrick's day

EU money

Not really, UK took a big punt early doors.

https://twitter.com/DavyStayn/status/1354930562671247360/photo/1

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭franciscanpunk

I have always admired Germany, I would have said the safest course Ireland could take is to copy thier strategy as much as possible. However, todays announcement seems to be playing politics. Why did announce what they did about AZ and over 65s today with an EMA announcement tomorrow.

If EMA the same, i.e no AZ for over 65s the decision will look German influenced, whether or that be true or not. If the approve it for all ages there will be all sorts of misinfo, like already in the German paper Bild, about it noy being safe for over 65s and only works on 8% of people or whatever other rubbish.

I think holding off for a few days and at least let the EMA make thier decision first was the right thing to do

• Site Banned Posts: 54 ✭✭Itsaduck1

Why isn't that guy on NPHET or advising the Government?

He's been pretty much spot on throughout this whole thing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Not really, UK took a big punt early doors.

https://twitter.com/DavyStayn/status/1354930562671247360/photo/1

They have top universities. Tbe EU highest is at number 50
    https://www.topuniversities.com/student-info/choosing-university/worlds-top-100-universities

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

El Sueño wrote: »
    My understanding is that a 95% confidence interval means you're 95% confident that the actual result (in this case efficacy) is between two particular values.

For example, in the SA trial that included HIV positive cases they're 95% confident that the efficacy is between 6.1% and 72.8%.

That's a common misconception, it's not that there's a 95% chance that the true average lies between those two values, it's that if you repeat your sampling of a given population enough times, then 95% of the time your calculated confidence intervals will contain the true average. There's a subtle difference.

Yeah but they needed big funding early doors and the UK backed them in March. If they never did that there would be no AZ vaccine. And the funny thing is they are selling it without even making a profit.

- Camille Paglia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

Some interesting news from Novartis on using its manufacturing capabilities to boost vaccine production of other companies' products.

Sanofi has already agreed to assist Pfizer and BioNTech with the production of an additional 100m doses for the EU market.

https://www.fiercepharma.com/pharma/u-s-eyes-manufacturing-tie-ups-to-boost-covid-19-vaccine-supply-via-defense-production-act

• Advertisement

Some interesting news from Novartis on using its manufacturing capabilities to boost vaccine production of other companies' products.

Sanofi has already agreed to assist Pfizer and BioNTech with the production of an additional 100m doses for the EU market.

https://www.fiercepharma.com/pharma/u-s-eyes-manufacturing-tie-ups-to-boost-covid-19-vaccine-supply-via-defense-production-act

That's good. Leave it to the experts to do the job.

- Camille Paglia

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement