Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Gael23 wrote: »
    Yes they have removed very important pieces, I assume pending legal action
    You will never ever ever see a non-redacted contract on the internet

It seems to me they have kept them hidden those parts where money is involved. At it seems that even sections about supplies, quantities, etc are being kept hidden, so we don't really know if the supply agreements are being met.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    That's true and Pfizer ramping up supplies would be good news

314,000 doses means 157,000 less people though

That is a big hole in the plan especially as AZ was being talked about as the game changer
    It's a big hole in the plan, but only short-term.

The main impact really is what it means for our restrictions. With those numbers, any hope of level 1 or 2 is probably off the table until after the May Bank Holiday at the very earliest. It'll be level 3+ for all of March and April, with restaurants maybe permitted to open from early May. A ramp-up in production of the BioNTech vaccine in Q2 will mean a lot of coverage by the end of June, to the point that we'll probably be back on track.

Arguably this could be a blessing in disguise long-term. The mRNA technology by all accounts produces a much more robust immune response and greater efficacy then the AZ/traditional vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/j-j-vaccine-effective-against-covid-though-weaker-against-south-n1255400

J&J data is out. "is 66% effective at preventing symptomatic disease and 85% effective against preventing severe illness."

"A team of scientists at the company were "elated" and "joyful" when they saw the results, Dr. Mathai Mammen, M.D., Ph.D., the global head of Janssen Research & Development, told ABC News.

"We're a single shot ... And now we've produced data that say that our vaccine is highly effective, 85% effective against severe COVID, 100% effective against hospitalization or death," Mammen said."

"Still, "not a single person who got vaccinated, and had illness after four weeks, ended up in the hospital," Dr. Mathai Mammen, global head of pharmaceutical research and development at Johnson & Johnson, told NBC News. This "leads me to believe that this vaccine will stop this pandemic.""

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

hmmm wrote: »
    https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/j-j-vaccine-effective-against-covid-though-weaker-against-south-n1255400

J&J data is out. "is 66% effective at preventing symptomatic disease and 85% effective against preventing severe illness."

"A team of scientists at the company were "elated" and "joyful" when they saw the results, Dr. Mathai Mammen, M.D., Ph.D., the global head of Janssen Research & Development, told ABC News.

"We're a single shot ... And now we've produced data that say that our vaccine is highly effective, 85% effective against severe COVID, 100% effective against hospitalization or death," Mammen said."

"Still, "not a single person who got vaccinated, and had illness after four weeks, ended up in the hospital," Dr. Mathai Mammen, global head of pharmaceutical research and development at Johnson & Johnson, told NBC News. This "leads me to believe that this vaccine will stop this pandemic.""

66% was in one region, Latin America , different regions got different results.

Overall looking at 85% for severe illness is very good for single dose when you pool the trial data

I know this thread is a bit austere at times, but CHAMPAGNE!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Fantastic news from J&J, a one shot dose is insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Hmmzis wrote: »
    Interesting study on correlates of protection in military recruits:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.01.26.21250535v1.full.pdf+html

The tables towards the end contain all the interesting bits if you would like to skip over the text.

TL;DL - a neutralization antibody titer of 1:20 or above looks to be greatly associated with prevention of subsequent infections (~80% efficacy).

Limitations:
    - This is from a wild type infection
    - Study population is young healthy adults
    Unless I'm reading it wrong, it seems Covid was rife in Paris Island despite quarantine. Almost 1 in 2 recruits got infected?!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Still, "not a single person who got vaccinated, and had illness after four weeks, ended up in the hospital," Dr. Mathai Mammen, global head of pharmaceutical research and development at Johnson & Johnson, told NBC News. This "leads me to believe that this vaccine will stop this pandemic."
    Gamechanger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

That is EXCELLENT news, holy f*ck!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,632 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Roughly when will the J&J vaccine be approved? And when do we expect to start using here in Ireland?

Happy Friday folks

I'd imagine RTE now:

"J & J releases results of single dose vaccine - just 66% effective at preventing symptoms"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Roughly when will the J&J vaccine be approved? And when do we expect to start using here in Ireland?

Submission to FDA expected in the next few weeks and EMA shortly after. Probably looking at March or early April for it to be in use

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Martin is quoted as saying April.

Happy Friday folks

You too! Just finished a lecture in operating systems so my head is full of instructions, registers, buffers, buses etc... time to decompress and not cry at the gobbledygook :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Think here in April but could be incorrect.

Have said all along vaccines that simply prevent hospitalisation and death will end this pandemic and the fact we now have multiple just a year after the beginning of this is truly incredible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Really great news about J&J.

Has made my Friday. A nice can of IPA has just been opened to celebrate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

With Novavax, J&J and Oxford jabs all preventing hospitalisations, coupled with the Moderna and Pfizer jabs, I'm confident we'll be back to normal by year's end, maybe not September, but before 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Stupid question probably but seeing as it's single dose would there be any chance of manufacture at their Limerick plant??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Some safety reassurance:

“”The Pfizer/BioNTech Covid-19 jab has no link to reported post-vaccination deaths and no new side effects, the EU's medicines regulator has said based on the first data from the vaccine's rollout.””

“”The European Medicines Agency said it had looked at the deaths, including a number in the elderly, and "concluded that the data did not show a link to vaccination with Comirnaty (the vaccine) and the cases do not raise a safety concern."“

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Stupid question probably but seeing as it's single dose would there be any chance of manufacture at their Limerick plant??

Don't know but making a vaccine is totally diff to making a drug.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

A bit giddy at that news. Excellent stuff.

Yevon wrote: »
    Wonderful news. The EMA have been conducting a rolling review so fingers crossed the application is submitted soon and we can get this out for the younger generation in Ireland within a couple of months.

One thing confusing me, 85% protection against severe disease but nobody ended up in hospital. Does that mean that people fell under the definition of severe Covid but that wasn't bad enough to put them in hospital?
    Good question, I was wondering that myself.

This I think is the clinical protocol:
    https://www.jnj.com/coronavirus/covid-19-phase-3-study-clinical-protocol

As ever with these things, we'll need a bit more than a news reporter trying to describe what the results mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭SheepsClothing

How many people were in the J&J trial?

Worth noting that efficacy also increases over time
    Efficacy against severe disease increased over time with no cases in vaccinated participants reported after day 49.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Anyone know how much the EU have ordered?

• Advertisement

Anyone know how much the EU have ordered?
    200 million

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement