Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭eoinbn

Stupid question probably but seeing as it's single dose would there be any chance of manufacture at their Limerick plant??

We would of heard reports if it was to be made here. I know JnJ have tapped a plant in Spain to make 50m doses.
    Anyone know if they have any other manufacturing sites in the EU or will we be at the mercy of Boris?

How many people were in the J&J trial?

Completed enrolment at 40,000 people. They had planned on 60k but no need due to disease prevalence.

Great result, be delighted to get it once it rolls around.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Would expect J&J and AZ will be the predominant vaccines for non-vulnerable 18-55 year olds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Not up on the rte news app yet...... Good news obviously doesn't cut the mustard with themðŸ˜

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Would expect J&J and AZ will be the predominant vaccines for non-vulnerable 18-55 year olds

Edit. Misread vulnerable for non-vulnerable. Apologies Citizen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Has there been any word on what kind of deliveries the EU can expect from J&J?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Not up on the rte news app yet...... Good news obviously doesn't cut the mustard with themðŸ˜

No but they made sure the AZ 300k shortfall is top of the headlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭landofthetree

200 million

I've seen some sources say 400mil and others 200mil.

https://twitter.com/laoneill111/status/1355147489058443264

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

200 million

So two million for Ireland, that's half the population who need to be vaxxed

The result might also be good news for the UK's AZ dosing regime, be interesting to see if their post market study shows if a second dose is even necessary within the first six months.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Indeed. These 2 will be the workhorses of the vaccination programme. Once these 2 are on board we’ll see this thing come to an end rather quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

It will be interesting to see the results of their 2 dose trial.
    Could be great to give all 18-55 a single dose and then the vulnerable 18-55's a second shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

Micky 32 wrote: »
    No but they made sure the AZ 300k shortfall is top of the headlines.

Still no sign of it. And I guarantee it will either be buried or they will spin a negative highlighting the lowest percentage figure in the headline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Got great exam results today AND this news. Today is a good day :D

I've seen some sources say 400mil and others 200mil.

https://twitter.com/laoneill111/status/1355147489058443264

It's 200 with an option for 200 more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Novavax has just announced their vaccine is 89.3% effective against the UK variant. Their trial in UK involved 15,000 volunteers, 4,000 of them aged 65+

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

AdamD wrote: »

I think it's from April. US are expecting a lot by June so I'm taking is as EU are lesser priority than the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Sconsey wrote: »
    Must throw on the popcorn for this, thanks for the post

funnydoggy wrote: »
    I'd imagine RTE now:

"J & J releases results of single dose vaccine - just 66% effective at preventing symptoms"

https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-40216766.html

Yup

• Advertisement

That briefing is a delayed one btw so the meeting must have dragged on a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

marno21 wrote: »
    Indeed. These 2 will be the workhorses of the vaccination programme. Once these 2 are on board we’ll see this thing come to an end rather quickly.

The fact J&J is a single dose, you would imagine this is the one vaccine that needs to be mass developed at any available plants worldwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

AdamD wrote: »
    200 million doses, deliveries starting in April. Assuming approval by then.

The J&J vaccine is pretty clever. Kind of a mix of the mRNA and the traditional approach.

The Pfizer & Moderna vaccines deliver the mRNA directly into the cells, which is why a freezing temperature is required to keep the delivery mechanism stable.

The J&J vaccine instead embeds the mRNA instruction inside a deactivated cold virus. Once it gets inside a cell, it works exactly the same way, but this delivery mechanism means it stays stable at higher temperatures for much longer.

These results suggest that a one-dose regime for all of these vaccines would work very well, the second dose is just icing on the cake.

Obviously though we can't just make it up as we go along and try one-dosing the vaccines to see what happens. We can only do what's been tested and verified.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

is_that_so wrote: »

Good result, when you read that it was 72% effective against vanilla covid (I like this term) in the US with one dose, and the 66% reflects the average of that, the Latin American results (also 66%), and Sth Africa (57%). This is like what people had predicted at around 70% for 1 dose and 80-90 for 2 doses (results still pending).

Clearly the Covid variants are making big inroads into clinical efficacy, reinforcing the need for us to stop importing these strains from Latin America and South Africa. We really need either an airtight EU+UK+Schengen or national measures of mandatory quarantine until boosters are available. We might get the boosters by the time it gets to under 50s. Look how quickly we took in the UK variant...

Well, now to the joys of production capacity!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭celt262

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

hmmm wrote: »
    Good question, I was wondering that myself.

This I think is the clinical protocol:
    https://www.jnj.com/coronavirus/covid-19-phase-3-study-clinical-protocol

As ever with these things, we'll need a bit more than a news reporter trying to describe what the results mean.

Similar endpoint description to Pfizer/BNT for severe cases. In the Pfizer/BNT case it was a person registering an SpO2 below 93% but recovered at home as was otherwise fine.

Their moderate case definition is crazy strict :eek:

celt262 wrote: »
    Page deleted

I think they posted it twice. That's the other one

https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-40216757.html

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭cjyid

Independent push notification on J&J didn't sound very cheery with their wording.

After reading the last few pages here, I am indeed Cheery now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement