Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

cjyid wrote: »
    Independent push notification on J&J didn't sound very cheery with their wording.

After reading the last few pages here, I am indeed Cheery now!

ya a pretty gloomy take on things alright: One-dose Johnson & Johnson Covid vaccine shows 72pc efficacy, but is less effective against new variants

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Some smart alecs have already started calling it "No more tiers".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

hmmm wrote: »
    Some smart alecs have already started calling it "No more tiers".

Very good in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Cork2021

RTE even going as far as to say it’ll be basically for countries with poor infrastructure..

They really are CÛNTS!!

That’s the vaccine that stops hospitalisations and death. Stick it in me now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

For those comparing the media views of J&J news, now up on RTE.
    Think this bit is worth highlighting about the their vaccine development.
    J&J's main goal was the prevention of moderate to severe Covid-19, and the vaccine was 85% effective in stopping severe disease and preventing hospitalisation

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0129/1193884-johnson-johnson-vaccine/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Cork2021 wrote: »
    RTE even going as far as to say it’ll be basically for countries with poor infrastructure..

They really are CÛNTS!!

source.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

snotboogie wrote: »

Jaysus, would it kill them to be a little more upbeat about things?!

The J&J news has lifted my spirits immeasurably. After last Friday's doom and gloom my optimism was starting to wain for the first time since the first vaccines were announced.......this has put me right back on track.

Roll on September, and a few pints in an actual pub for my birthday!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

They really are CÛNTS!!

In the very same article they even seem to be downplaying the Pfizer/Moderna ones, saying the trials for those "were conducted mainly in the United States and before new variants emerged"

I take it they haven't heard that they both work on the big bad new variants. Clowns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

El Sueño wrote: »
    In the very same article they even seem to be downplaying the Pfizer/Moderna ones, saying the trials for those "were conducted mainly in the United States and before new variants emerged"

I take it they haven't heard that they both work on the big bad new variants. Clowns

Can we spend the licence fee on more vaccines and feck RTE?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

polesheep wrote: »
    Can we spend the licence fee on more vaccines and feck RTE?

And be deprived of top tier programming like Fair city and the late late? Wash your mouth out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

El Sueño wrote: »
    And be deprived of top tier programming like Fair city and the late late? Wash your mouth out

mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. Forgive me Tubbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Le Bruise wrote: »
    Jaysus, would it kill them to be a little more upbeat about things?!

The J&J news has lifted my spirits immeasurably. After last Friday's doom and gloom my optimism was starting to wain for the first time since the first vaccines were announced.......this has put me right back on track.

Roll on September, and a few pints in an actual pub for my birthday!:)

Wane, wain is a cart! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

is_that_so wrote: »
    Wane, wain is a cart! :)

That's what I meant.....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

They really are CÛNTS!!

In fairness they are part of the Covax deal with the UN for 500million doses.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Not to put a downer on this news but the SA variant looks to be causing a bit of a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Gael23 wrote: »
    Not to put a downer on this news but the SA variant looks to be causing a bit of a problem
    No it doesn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Galwayhurl

hmmm wrote: »
    https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/j-j-vaccine-effective-against-covid-though-weaker-against-south-n1255400

J&J data is out. "is 66% effective at preventing symptomatic disease and 85% effective against preventing severe illness."

"A team of scientists at the company were "elated" and "joyful" when they saw the results, Dr. Mathai Mammen, M.D., Ph.D., the global head of Janssen Research & Development, told ABC News.

"We're a single shot ... And now we've produced data that say that our vaccine is highly effective, 85% effective against severe COVID, 100% effective against hospitalization or death," Mammen said."

"Still, "not a single person who got vaccinated, and had illness after four weeks, ended up in the hospital," Dr. Mathai Mammen, global head of pharmaceutical research and development at Johnson & Johnson, told NBC News. This "leads me to believe that this vaccine will stop this pandemic.""

If it was "only" 85% against preventing severe illness, but 100% effective against hospitalization/death, what happened to the 15% that got seriously ill? Stayed at home?

Just a question about how these things work, not trying to be a downer :)

Galwayhurl wrote: »
    If it was "only" 85% against preventing severe illness, but 100% effective against hospitalization/death, what happened to the 15% that got seriously ill? Stayed at home?

Does it not show that what they would call a severe illness is on the milder side of what we would think. Could mean long covid or illnesses lasting more than a 1-2 weeks. Can only be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

On the Pfizer vaccine, I've heard anecdotes about the side effects from the second dose from my father and other people in the HSE who have gotten it. Diarrhea is VERY common.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

lbj666 wrote: »
    Does it not show that what they would call a severe illness is on the milder side of what we would think. Could mean long covid or illnesses lasting more than a 1-2 weeks. Can only be good.

In a way it’s not good. If they have set the bar quite low for ‘serious’ illness, it boosts the percentage higher than it possibly deserves to be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

On the Pfizer vaccine, I've heard anecdotes about the side effects from the second dose from my father and other people in the HSE who have gotten it. Diarrhea is VERY common.

Oh shiiiitteeee.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

In my opinion there's too much focus in the media on efficiency, all the approved vaccines provide strong protection against hospitalisation and death. What matters is how quickly we can get the vaccines into people. A good-enough single-dose vaccine from a big player is huge news.

Galwayhurl wrote: »

Yeah, that's not 100% clear. I'm sure it'll all be in the official data.

So "Severe" covid according to the protocol (posted above)
    - Clinical signs at rest indicative of severe systemic illness (respiratory rate ≥30 breaths/minute, heart rate ≥125 beats/minute, oxygen saturation (SpO2) ≤93% on room air at sea level*, or partial pressure of oxygen/fraction of inspired oxygen (PaO2/FiO2) <300 mmHg)
    - Respiratory failure (defined as needing high-flow oxygen, non-invasive ventilation, mechanical ventilation, or extracorporeal membrane oxygenation [ECMO])
    - Evidence of shock (defined as systolic blood pressure <90 mmHg, diastolic blood pressure <60 mmHg, or requiring vasopressors)
    - Significant acute renal, hepatic, or neurologic dysfunction
    - Admission to the ICU
    - Death
    So, if I was to read between the lines, the vaccine is 100% effective at preventing the items marked in red, but only 85% against the ones in green

The green ones are usually severe but not necessarily needing hospitalisation, depending on the individual. The ones in red typically require a hospital stay.

Or we're reading too much into it, and the 100% refers to ICU & death, the 85% refers to everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

My sideeffects from second vac sore arm and extreme fatigue. The fatigue might be sideeffect of nightmare shifts not enough staff/equipement leaving the house at 6.30am and getting home at 2230. Got jabbed yesterday and spending the day sleeping and boards as I,m back in work tomorrow...I've heard of a few people who had worse effects post second dose but most selfresolve within 72hours.

pottokblue wrote: »
    My sideeffects from second vac sore arm and extreme fatigue. The fatigue might be sideeffect of nightmare shifts not enough staff/equipement leaving the house at 6.30am and getting home at 2230. Got jabbed yesterday and spending the day sleeping and boards as I,m back in work tomorrow...I've heard of a few people who had worse effects post second dose but most selfresolve within 72hours.
    Anecdotal I know, but were you given any warning that there may be after-effects?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

My dad probably getting his 2nd shot soon, but had no side effects from the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

It depended on the vaccintor some gave full 5min talkthrough others just went through the 2nd consent form and pointed to a sheet. First vaccine I was given a HSE booklet Pfizer that I still have I asked if there was an updated 2round vaccine booklet and said no just to watch out for the common, rare and serious sideeffects and covid symptoms that I've been doing since March 2020. Generllay I was impressed by the proceess in at 1540 and out by 1625. I was the 397 vaccine administered yesterday in that place.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Galwayhurl

Yeah that's a possibility.
    seamus wrote: »
    Yeah, that's not 100% clear. I'm sure it'll all be in the official data.

So "Severe" covid according to the protocol (posted above)

So, if I was to read between the lines, the vaccine is 100% effective at preventing the items marked in red, but only 85% against the ones in green

The green ones are usually severe but not necessarily needing hospitalisation, depending on the individual. The ones in red typically require a hospital stay.

Or we're reading too much into it, and the 100% refers to ICU & death, the 85% refers to everything else.

Right. It's hard to know but positive overall anyway so that's the main thing!

Do we know what intervals J&J are doing on the 2 dose trial?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Do we know what intervals J&J are doing on the 2 dose trial?

It’s a one shot vaccine

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement