Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Now, if we could get them into the country and more importantly into arms before the 15th, I will update my happymeter from "very" to "extremely"

Sconsey wrote: »
    You think we are behind the UK because of a requirement for GP's to administer the vaccine? wow.

UK have come close to half a million in day, helped no doubt by the mass vaccination centres. Scaled down that would be about 30,000 a day in Ireland. We have a few weeks to plan, but if we wanted to there's no reason why we shouldn't try to get our full first delivery (95,000 doses I think) into people in the first week after delivery.

Time to start being ambitious and imagining what can be done, not discussing how difficult it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Even George Lee was smiling on RTE tv news there as he was listing all the good vaccine news. He mentioned also that Pfizer are back up and running after their re-organisation for a week and the Novavax news too. He couldn’t help himself with smiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Cork2021 wrote: »
    So at least 5 vaccines will be available in Q2.
    Roll on the summer

That's what I was hoping for the last while. That means our major vaccine period will be April-July. All adults that want it vaccinated by then. Now stick with the restrictions for the next while and minimise the hospitalisations and deaths.
    As Fauci and the CDC Head said 'we already have one vaccine, it's called a mask'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Gael23 wrote: »
    Not to put a downer on this news but the SA variant looks to be causing a bit of a problem

You seem to be another who missed this development:
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-40215791.html

Can't understand the psychology of some people. On a day of great news, they still choose to obsess over variants. The need to caveat and qualify every vaccine-related news story is becoming increasingly tiresome. I think this needs to be reiterated: All evidence thus far suggests (and in the case of BioNTech, proves/confirms) that the vaccines (how nice it is to type that, we have multiple vaccines - we should be rejoicing) do work. Christ, I think I need a beer :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

You seem to be another who missed this development:
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-40215791.html

Can't understand the psychology of some people. On a day of great news, they still choose to obsess over variants. The need to caveat and qualify every vaccine-related news story is becoming increasingly tiresome. I think this needs to be reiterated: All evidence thus far suggests (and in the case of BioNTech, proves/confirms) that the vaccines (how nice it is to type that, we have multiple vaccines - we should be rejoicing) do work. Christ, I think I need a beer :D

If I could thank this twice.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

eigrod wrote: »
    Even George Lee was smiling on RTE tv news there as he was listing all the good vaccine news. He mentioned also that Pfizer are back up and running after their re-organisation for a week and the Novavax news too. He couldn’t help himself with smiling.

In fairness to George Lee, some people are just more optimistic than others. I see it every day, some people pick up on the positives, others the negatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

UK have come close to half a million in day, helped no doubt by the mass vaccination centres. Scaled down that would be about 30,000 a day in Ireland. We have a few weeks to plan, but if we wanted to there's no reason why we shouldn't try to get our full first delivery (95,000 doses I think) into people in the first week after delivery.

Time to start being ambitious and imagining what can be done, not discussing how difficult it would be.
    The discussion has been had and there is a plan. The current network of GPs etc can do 75,000-80,000 a week. It seems they also want to add dentists to this. They also tested a couple of MVCs and we will have a good few of these, IIRC 15 or so of them. The aim of the HSE is 1m doses a month once we have enough supplies but we need lots of the the easier to handle vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Water John

is_that_so wrote: »
    The discussion has been had and there is a plan. The current network of GPS etc can do 75,000-80,000 a week. It seems they also want to add dentists to this. They also tested a couple of MVCs and we will have a good few of these, IIRC 15 or so of them. The aim of the HSE is 1m doses a month once we have enough supplies but we need lots of the the easier to handle vaccines.

Yeah we'll need to peak at about 200/250K per week, using multiple options and multiple vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Anyword on Johnson and Johnson European production? Is a reserve being built up, there is articles about them hitting production problems but that's for the USA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Deenie78

Towards the end of last week and the beginning of this week it all seemed so grim and pessimistic like swimming through sludge. It's great to be finishing the week on a high with all this amazing news today. I really think these few past weeks with the Pfizer lag in delivery and the AZ drama will be a blip and we'll be "cooking with gas" before we know it and getting vaccine numbers up! Have a great weekend folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Right I know this is cheeky but could someone possibly do a list of approved vaccine and the expected deliveries of them for the next 6 months and a list of the expected ones and the suggested delivery numbers and when they are expected to be rolled out. I understand that everything is subject to many factors but as things stand. I know the information is probably in here in bits and pieces but it would be nice to see it all in one place. I would appreciate it and I’m sure others would too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

salmocab wrote: »
    Right I know this is cheeky but could someone possibly do a list of approved vaccine and the expected deliveries of them for the next 6 months and a list of the expected ones and the suggested delivery numbers and when they are expected to be rolled out. I understand that everything is subject to many factors but as things stand. I know the information is probably in here in bits and pieces but it would be nice to see it all in one place. I would appreciate it and I’m sure others would too.

Did you just try to give someone homework for the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ShadowTech

D.Q wrote: »

I mean, does anyone have anything better to do with a weekend these days? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Sconsey wrote: »
    You think we are behind the UK because of a requirement for GP's to administer the vaccine? wow.

We should not be depending on the already stretched GP services. All GPs are not created equal and many are not remotely equipped for mass vaccinations. A lot of them can barely cope with normal GP duties, not to mind crisis work and that's by their own admission. In addition,most GPs are operating out of converted houses, which are clearly unsuited to mass vaccinations. At least,mass vaccination centres such as field hospitals can be set up quickly,staffed quickly and get the job done in a shorter time frame. Apart from that,given the sheer mass of pharmaceutical companies in Ireland, we should be able to generate our own vaccines, instead of depending on the vagaries of the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Stovepipe wrote: »
    We should not be depending on the already stretched GP services. All GPs are not created equal and many are not remotely equipped for mass vaccinations. A lot of them can barely cope with normal GP duties, not to mind crisis work and that's by their own admission. In addition,most GPs are operating out of converted houses, which are clearly unsuited to mass vaccinations. At least,mass vaccination centres such as field hospitals can be set up quickly,staffed quickly and get the job done in a shorter time frame. Apart from that,given the sheer mass of pharmaceutical companies in Ireland, we should be able to generate our own vaccines, instead of depending on the vagaries of the EU.
    That is literally what is happening.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

There were literally mass vaccination sites the other week to get GPs vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭landofthetree

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭franciscanpunk

Very good news on AZ, hopefully the supply for March will not be as affected as were told and even if not they can make up the difference in the months to come. From what I can make out we would be down slightly over 300k doses than expected, so 150k people, maybe it is still possible to get to a place where everyone who wants a vaccine can get 1 by September.

150k people I know is a lot but the potential for pfizer to ramp up production possibly with assistence from other companies, J & J being one shot and another bigbolayer(no idea if that was part of our initial figures) and novavax maybe it can be done.

Being honest a fully expect some issues some issue with supply or a new variant coming along to dash my hopes though!

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mark1916

We’re getting the AstraZeneca vaccine a week earlier commencing on 8th Feb

https://www.newstalk.com/news/ireland-to-receive-astrazeneca-vaccine-a-week-earlier-than-planned-donnelly-1142877

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

D.Q wrote: »

Yes and just like when I was in school it’s not me doing it, I will however happily cog off the smart kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Mark1916 wrote: »

https://www.newstalk.com/news/ireland-to-receive-astrazeneca-vaccine-a-week-earlier-than-planned-donnelly-1142877
    Fantastic news

• Registered Users Posts: 9,861 ✭✭✭billyhead

Has the supply issue being resolved and are we getting the amount originally envisioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Can someone explain the efficacy numbers for the J&J jab, to an absolute novice they appear to be rather underwhelming or am I wrong, I thought given their expertise they would have achieved better numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

is there any indication when group 3 vaccinations start?

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/39038-provisional-vaccine-allocation-groups/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

froog wrote: »
    is there any indication when group 3 vaccinations start?

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/39038-provisional-vaccine-allocation-groups/

They had said mid Feb right? If AZ is now a week earlier, does that bring it up a week?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭hynesie08

This pleases me.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Amazing over the course of a few days they can move the delivery schedule forward by a week and find ~8mil extra doses.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Vudgie wrote: »
    Can someone explain the efficacy numbers for the J&J jab, to an absolute novice they appear to be rather underwhelming or am I wrong, I thought given their expertise they would have achieved better numbers.

Its a single shot. They do have their vaccine under trial for a double shot regime too. That may end up being approved in the end.

Its a single shot with higher numbers than the double shot AZ too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

hmmm wrote: »
    In my opinion there's too much focus in the media on efficiency, all the approved vaccines provide strong protection against hospitalisation and death. What matters is how quickly we can get the vaccines into people. A good-enough single-dose vaccine from a big player is huge news.
    Absolutely. My elderly mother has got sucked into only reading the news headlines on efficacy percentages and not understanding that these vaccines firstly will largely prevent death and serious illness to end this pandemic, she is now saying she would refuse the AZ vaccine if offered tough to hear it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement