Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Russia say they can apparently supply the EU with 100 mln doses of SputnikV vaccine for 50 mln people in Q2 2021 (subject to EMA approval).

EMA rolling reviews of SputnikV are occurring apparently.

Interesting to see what the EMA think of the data.

https://twitter.com/sputnikvaccine/status/1355072610728607744

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Christ imagine the reaction of some when they hear the Russians are involved :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

It would be great if someone could make a thread in here that explains all the vaccines and how each one works. I hope when I get my vaccine that I get the Janssen Vaccine as that is only 1 jab for it not too. I really don't like needles so that would be good with me.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Cole

Ohmeha wrote: »
    Absolutely. My elderly mother has got sucked into only reading the news headlines on efficacy percentages and not understanding that these vaccines firstly will largely prevent death and serious illness to end this pandemic, she is now saying she would refuse the AZ vaccine if offered tough to hear it

My parents would still take AZ if that's what they're offered, but if they had a choice, they'd take Pfizer or Moderna...pretty understandable. Pfizer and Moderna is still part of our vaccination roll out, so I'm curious how those two are going to be distributed going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Ohmeha wrote: »
    Absolutely. My elderly mother has got sucked into only reading the news headlines on efficacy percentages and not understanding that these vaccines firstly will largely prevent death and serious illness to end this pandemic, she is now saying she would refuse the AZ vaccine if offered tough to hear it

Yeah my dad was saying the same.

One positive is all the anti-vaxxer crap like "oh it's new technology, never been tested in humans before" , "oh it's RNA so it rewrites your DNA" etc. isn't seeping through to people. People are seeing things like "95% effective", hearing that it passed the strict EMA checks with flying colours and saying "I want that one".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭franciscanpunk

I would have thought the Russians would concentrate on their own vaccine roll out first but if they have production capacity the want to sell that's great

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Cole wrote: »
    My parents would still take AZ if that's what they're offered, but if they had a choice, they'd take Pfizer or Moderna...pretty understandable. Pfizer and Moderna is still part of our vaccination roll out, so I'm curious how those two are going to be distributed going forward.

I would do the same , I will take whats offered but would much prefer to get the Pfizer .
    I think they could open big vaccination centres and if over 70 can make their way there it could be done . There are many over 70 who could drive to a centre for a Pfizer

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I would have thought the Russians would concentrate on their own vaccine roll out first but if they have production capacity the want to sell that's great

Their main reason for seeking EMA approval is to be able to manufacture in Europe afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭franciscanpunk

we are probably a long way off from an a la carte pick your vaccine supplier just yet, we only have vaccinated about 3% of the populatuon most of them have only had one dose!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Stark wrote: »
    Their main reason for seeking EMA approval is to be able to manufacture in Europe afaik.

Do you mean EU? Since the Russia is already part of Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Drexel_3

The more available the better I think. Once we have enough supply there will be a choice. Eventually I'd say people will be given a certain type based on their ages, other conditions ect

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Cork2021

You’d assume if Sputnik was given approval it would be eastern bloc countries taking a good shot of what is available.. maybe frees up more of the AstraZeneca vaccine for Western Europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Cork2021 wrote: »
    You’d assume if Sputnik was given approval it would be eastern bloc countries taking a good shot of what is available.. maybe frees up more of the AstraZeneca vaccine for Western Europe?

Why would you assume that?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Might be the opposite, some Eastern Europeans living here say they wouldn't touch a Russian vaccine. That might be unfair but as a result of their historical experience.

XsApollo wrote: »
    Why would you assume that?

Closer ties with Russia...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Closer ties with Russia...

Who has closer ties with Russia?

Which countries in Europe have closer ties with Russia than Europe?
    It’s the opposite.
    I don’t think it would go down well giving the lads in the east the Sputnik while we all gorge on Pfizer and moderna.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

Vudgie wrote: »
    Can someone explain the efficacy numbers for the J&J jab, to an absolute novice they appear to be rather underwhelming or am I wrong, I thought given their expertise they would have achieved better numbers.

The thing that jumped out at me which you may or may not have seen is that it has a 100% efficacy rate in preventing hospitalizations. This is obviously fantastic as it will prevent the worst outcomes, prevent our healthcare system from becoming overwhelmed and more often than not prevents people from getting sick with moderate symptoms too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

St.Spodo wrote: »
    The thing that jumped out at me which you may or may not have seen is that it has a 100% efficacy rate in preventing hospitalizations. This is obviously fantastic as it will prevent the worst outcomes, prevent our healthcare system from becoming overwhelmed and more often than not prevents people from getting sick with moderate symptoms too.

Also 15% of the J&J trial was done in South Africa where nearly all cases were of the new varient. This seems to have drove down the results, as does the LATAM trial which was impacted by the Brazil varient. The breakdown was 72% efficacy in the US 66% efficacy in LATAM and 57% in South Africa.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

JnJs efficacy rate is savage for a one shot -strategy from them was get as many people done on the 1 shot before they looked at the 2 shot they can get millions vaccinated before they bring in the 2 shot system saving millions of lifes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Malcomex

There'd be a bit of flag waving there too

The Russians coming to rescue of the western Europeans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

XsApollo wrote: »
    Who has closer ties with Russia?

Which countries in Europe have closer ties with Russia than Europe?
    It’s the opposite.
    I don’t think it would go down well giving the lads in the east the Sputnik while we all gorge on Pfizer and moderna.

Be like taking Novichok to a lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

If it works, why not. I'd imagine some would have reservations but a lot won't care. Hungary had already approved it by themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Cole wrote: »
    Government, HSE and media need to up their game now on the educational aspect of these vaccines and how the government plan to select who receives which the 3 approved vaccines and hopefully more in the months ahead. It's a worry when people like my mother (who obviously won't listen to me!) are suddenly turning apprehensive & fearful at the beginning of the rollout process thinking they should have a choice of vaccine and incorrectly believing that AZ 65% effacacy means 35% won't at all be protected from death/serious illness

• Registered Users Posts: 15,365 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Moderna are now dropping their supply figures for February for most EU countries.

Why are they walking all over the EU?

• Site Banned Posts: 54 ✭✭Itsaduck1

Has anywhere vaccinated all its citizens?

Small Islands or anything?

Or is it just Israel anywhere close?

Be interesting to know what life awaits us, pity Isle Of Man or something similar sized wasnt given vaccines

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Vicxas wrote: »
    Moderna are now dropping their supply figures for February for most EU countries.

Why are they walking all over the EU?

Well they aren't "walking all over the EU". Canada is after getting roughly 25% cut, likewise with France and Italy so it looks unilateral

They only send about 6,000 doses here every few weeks at the moment so it's not big numbers currently coming in

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Well they aren't "walking all over the EU". Canada is after getting roughly 25% cut, likewise with France and Italy so it looks unilateral

They only send about 6,000 doses here every few weeks at the moment so it's not big numbers currently coming in

Everyone bar the US got cut I think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Looks , like this could well be our last ever lockdown? we beter enjoy these few weeks at level 5 , cause when we get to June its pretty much all over.

Dickie10 wrote: »
    Looks , like this could well be our last ever lockdown? we beter enjoy these few weeks at level 5 , cause when we get to June its pretty much all over.

Stockholm syndrome will be the next pandemic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

More on vaccinations for kids ...

Fauci sees vaccination for kids by late spring or the summer. The next step, involves testing in children down to 12 years old, and if that’s successful it’s followed by another round of testing down to those 9 years old ...

https://apnews.com/article/lifestyle-anthony-fauci-coronavirus-pandemic-infectious-diseases-coronavirus-vaccine-47af1ca6b75a2cedaac7923b7b084404

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement