Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭Apogee

salmocab wrote: »
    Right I know this is cheeky but could someone possibly do a list of approved vaccine and the expected deliveries of them for the next 6 months and a list of the expected ones and the suggested delivery numbers and when they are expected to be rolled out. I understand that everything is subject to many factors but as things stand. I know the information is probably in here in bits and pieces but it would be nice to see it all in one place. I would appreciate it and I’m sure others would too.

I'm not sure if it's possible to give a reliable estimate that far into future, but Brian McCraith suggested 1.1 million vaccines by end of March in testimony earlier today:
    Brian MacCraith, head of the vaccine taskforce, said that it was expected Ireland would have 1.4 million vaccines by the end of March, enough to vaccinate 700,000 people. But that will now be reduced to 1.1 million because the expected volume of supplies of the AstraZeneca vaccine will not materialise, the Oireachtas health committee was told.

It is expected that 190,000 doses of Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine will be delivered in February and 95,000 in March.

The committee was told that over-70s will be contacted by their GPs when their vaccine is ready.It would rely heavily on the systems GPs already have in place for calling people for the flu vaccine.

The hope is that once the over-70s are vaccinated that a portal will be open to the public to register for a vaccine with other information such as side-effects.

There are hopes that the one-shot Johnson and Johnson vaccine may be approved in April and that could lead to a large jump in vaccine availability.

1.1 million doses would mean almost everyone 65+ would be fully vaccinated (2 doses each) by end of March?

EpNAih_W4AAhc6j?format=jpg&name=small

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Think that would leave something like 2.7M up to Group 14 April-July. Possibly even done in 12 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Apogee wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it's possible to give a reliable estimate that far into future, but Brian McCraith suggested 1.1 million vaccines by end of March in testimony earlier today:

1.1 million doses would mean almost everyone 65+ would be fully vaccinated (2 doses each) by end of March?

according to that graphic we should be well into the >70s now though which we aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Water John wrote: »
    Think that would leave something like 2.7M up to Group 14 April-July. Possibly even done in 12 weeks.

Entirely possible! Just all depends on approval of the J&J vaccine and ramped up deliveries from the 3 already approved from April onwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

froog wrote: »
    according to that graphic we should be well into the >70s now though which we aren't.
    Two doses for each. First two groups is 250k doses, we've done 160k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Two doses for each. First two groups is 250k doses, we've done 160k.

oh yeah, i forgot about the 2 doses.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Apogee wrote: »

https://twitter.com/FineGael/status/1350729714554572800

So they're no longer forecasting 1.4million doses by the end of March?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Now don’t shoot the messenger..... Luke O’Neill:

“We’ll be back in beer gardens with friends in June””

Micky 32 wrote: »

Don't be teasin me like that Micky :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

Ya but June of what year....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

mood seems to have changed here since I last looked in a few days ago.

mood seems to have changed here since I last looked in a few days ago.
    Today was probably one of the most positive days of the pandemic so far imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Cork2021

E mac wrote: »
    Ya but June of what year....

As a couple of posters have said June 2121.... but with masks on with a hatch for a straw

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

Cork2021 wrote: »
    As a couple of posters have said June 2121.... but with masks on with a hatch for a straw

I'd settle for that at this stage at least it would be a sign of progress..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

E mac wrote: »
    I'd settle for that at this stage at least it would be a sign of progress..

The next 100 years are crucial!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

If Tony Holohan is on twitter, he is definitely unfollowing O'Neill after this sort of positivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

"It is expected that 190,000 doses of Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine will be delivered in February and 95,000 in March."

From the indo, is that right? so 295k before end of march meaning in order to get to 1.1m before march end, excluding what's already here or used, we are getting 600k between Pfizer and Moderna. Mostly Pfizer , 40k/week til mid Feb and meaning 70-80k per/week ish then on?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,640 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

EMA: No evidence vaccine is not effective against mutations

This is kinda cheeky.

No evidence the vaccine is not effective against the common cold either...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

EMA: No evidence vaccine is not effective against mutations
    markodaly wrote: »
    This is kinda cheeky.

No evidence the vaccine is not effective against the common cold either...

How would you phrase it?
    Is there evidence it's not effective against mutations?

Ohmeha wrote: »
    Absolutely. My elderly mother has got sucked into only reading the news headlines on efficacy percentages and not understanding that these vaccines firstly will largely prevent death and serious illness to end this pandemic, she is now saying she would refuse the AZ vaccine if offered tough to hear it

I am hearing the same from my family. They even brought it up.

The AstraZeneca vaccine is tarnished, maybe unfairly, but if the Germans are going to refuse to give it our to the over 65's many older people in Ireland would like the peace of mind if they got the Pfizer vaccine instead.

There is no real reason why they couldn't do that. Front line workers, and people under 65's -> Oxford/AstraZeneca
    All over 65's Pfizer/Moderna

I can see this becoming a thing over the next few weeks and the government may just have to give in to that demand.

• Advertisement

Wolf359f wrote: »
    How would you phrase it?
    Is there evidence it's not effective against mutations?

There is no evidence to suggest it will not be effective against any future mutation either..... until there is.

Look, I get it, they want to shore up confidence, but little soundbites like that are for the press.

Water John wrote: »
    That's what I was hoping for the last while. That means our major vaccine period will be April-July. All adults that want it vaccinated by then.

I know today was a good day, but no, we will not be fully vaccinated by end of July.

People are far too eager to count their chickens before they hatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

There is no evidence to suggest it will not be effective against any future mutation either..... until there is.

Look, I get it, they want to shore up confidence, but little soundbites like that are for the press.

We get it, you think there'll be mutations in future that'll evade vaccines. There's no need to keep repeating it every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I think Germany's behaviour in the last year has been questionable. Between the PPE fiasco.at the start of the pandemic, and the subterfuge strategy deployed against AZ, they might need to be told to evaluate their behaviour, it's selfish and not helping matters. Their rush to advise against AZ vaccin for over 65s due to what they say is a lack of data on efficiency and safety a day before the EMA were due to give their verdict makes their decision seem highly questionable. Who is in charge, Spahn or the EU? France and Italy both said they would wait until EMA made their ruling, why couldn't Germany?

Anyway, ignoring the above, today was a great day, let's hope there are many more to.follow

ETA: have replaced word safe with safety.

El Sueño wrote: »
    We get it, you think there'll be mutations in future that'll evade vaccines. There's no need to keep repeating it every day.

No, never said that, but go ahead and ignore what I say.

Trolls usually p***ss off when they aren’t fed or don’t get any attention. I read that somewhere. :pac:

El Sueño wrote: »

It’s like some people hope there are for whatever their sad pathetic agenda is.

It's not about shoring up confidence, it about reporting the facts as they have it. They cannot come out and say it may not protect against strains (that's an incorrect statement as they have no evidence). If they said there's no evidence it's ineffective (that's a correct statement)

I think Germany's behaviour in the last year has been questionable. Between the PPE fiasco.at the start of the pandemic, and the subterfuge strategy deployed against AZ, they might need to be told to evaluate their behaviour, it's selfish and not helping matters. Their rush to declare the AZ vaccine as not safe for over 65s a day before the EMA were due to make a decision seems highly questionable. Who is in charge, Spahn or the EU?.

Anyway, ignoring the above, today was a great day, let's hope there are many more to.follow

That's not what they said. You know that. but you still say it
    There is no evidence the vaccine is efficient or non efficient in people over 65.
    So the German's are taking the cautious approach and not using it to vaccinate 65+. Not because it's unsafe, but because they don't know how effective or ineffective it is, in that age group.
    The vaccine has been deemed safe for anyone over 18 (and that includes 65+)
    Safety≠ Efficacy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,568 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I think the crux of the thing is health professionals call it “the vaccine” and nut jobs who nobody should listen to call it “the experimental vaccine”

If we stick to that we’re ok.

The number of people seeing side effects is as expected tiny, last I saw it was well working the limits seen by other vaccines. A small number of people have reactions to medications across the board, that doesn’t mean they aren’t safe. People have reactions to peanuts, chocolate amd beer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement