Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Each Residential Care Facility will be allocated a ‘day one’ (first vaccination) and ‘day 21’ (second vaccination). All residents and staff will be invited to consent in advance and then receive vaccination on these dates wherever possible.

Does this mean that the facility will have both first and second vaccines on-site at the same time?

21 days after the date listed is when the vacination teams will visit again i belive. Thats staff and residents covered when they visit

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Is that just the Pfizer vaccine? So when moderna rolls out in mid Jan that can focus on HCW and other vulnerable people? Jesus, I'm almost optimistic.......

Indeed its only based on 1 vaccine as far as I'm aware.

Light at the end of the tunnel. Have a great christmas all.

Hopefully this time next year it'll all be a long distant memory

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Each Residential Care Facility will be allocated a ‘day one’ (first vaccination) and ‘day 21’ (second vaccination). All residents and staff will be invited to consent in advance and then receive vaccination on these dates wherever possible.

Does this mean that the facility will have both first and second vaccines on-site at the same time?

I assume it means if we have 30k a week coming in, 17.5k is already sectioned off for nursing homes.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cork2021

So COVID wards and staff directly involved with COVID from next Wednesday?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,317 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Cork2021 wrote: »

Yes, I think it's the four main Covid hospitals first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭Marhay70

I'm still mystified as to why vaccinations couldn't start on 27th if they can start everywhere else then. Everybody else has been faced with the same logistics problems and managed to overcome them so what's our problem?
    Let's face it, the Covid wards and nursing homes are "captive audiences", so to speak, it's not as if there's much of a logistics problem identifying the recipients.
    We say we have the storage capability, the transport capability and the staff to roll it out so what is the delay?
    If It takes X amount of time to vaccinate Group One, that time should be used by backroom staff to fine-tune the next operation and so on until the campaign is finished. It appears to me that the HSE waits for one operation to be completed and then starts to think about the next one, surely there must be someone in there capable of forward planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,317 ✭✭✭✭Water John

You're getting angst over 3 days?
    They are overlapping, Covid hospital staff shot 1, Nursing homes shot 1 Covid hospitals shot 2 Nursing homes shot 2. Both done by end of Feb.
    I presume as more supplies and Moderna becomes available, they'll ramp up.

Water John wrote: »
    They are overlapping, Covid hospital staff shot 1, Nursing homes shot 1 Covid hospitals shot 2 Nursing homes shot 2. Both done by end of Feb.

That's all very admirable but not an answer to my question. It's not a question of my getting "angst", whatever that is, but as to why there is a delay in starting vaccinations when the reason is not evident to the general public. It's not surprising that people form their own opinions such as Bank Holidays, etc.
    This is creating a sense of "It's another government fcuk up" in people which is evident here on Boards.

If there is a supply or logistics problem the Government should be up front about it. I've lost count of the different stories coming from all sources. Bad and all as the Brits have been, Hancock, Bojo or some other minister has made an official position statement every day, including the position on vaccinations, in Ireland, we get Tony Holahan who usually is the bringer of bad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,100 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Water John wrote: »

I still don’t think that volume is good enough or showing any sense of urgency

• Registered Users Posts: 16,129 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Just read the schedule for the care homes . Absolutely fantastic news and am thrilled to see it rolled out . Good news

• Advertisement

Its christmas day and youre complaining

Let's hope the Coronavirus is taking that into account, dashed unsporting if it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

The doom merchants must never have a day off, not even on xmas day! Anyway i’m opening that bottle of wine, happy xmas everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Micky 32 wrote: »
    The doom merchants must never have a day off, not even on xmas day! Anyway i’m opening that bottle of wine, happy xmas everyone!

Twill surely be corked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Cork2021 wrote: »

Not sure if just staff directly involved with covid. But it's not just medical staff. My wife is getting it next Wednesday in her hospital. But her secretary is also getting it as she would deal with people face to face also. My wife reckons uptake will be huge for it based on talking to colleagues. Her hospital should be done with 1st injection next week. On the way to eliminating this from big sources of transmission.

Gael23 wrote: »
    I still don’t think that volume is good enough or showing any sense of urgency

I know that Connolly and the Mater will be done next Wednesday for 1st round of injections and there will be a huge uptake on it. I think many other hospitals will be the same. Next Wednesday is the start of getting this under control and allowing a semblance of normality to start gradually resuming. Enough of the negative ****e. It's looking positive from here on out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Avoation1091

I know that Connolly and the Mater will be done next Wednesday for 1st round of injections and there will be a huge uptake on it. I think many other hospitals will be the same. Next Wednesday is the start of getting this under control and allowing a semblance of normality to start gradually resuming. Enough of the negative ****e. It's looking positive from here on out.

This is great news. Glad they can get the vaccine next week. Definitely good to hear this at Christmas. Theres some hope for 2021.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Does anyone think vaccinations are starting off a bit slow?

How will it take till the end of February to vaccinate residents, 70,000 of them, in nursing homes?

The UK has vaccinated over half a million in two weeks. 70,000 over 6 weeks doesn't seem all that much.

Does that mean they won't start with the next group until March?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Avoation1091

How will it take till the end of February to vaccinate residents, 70,000 of them, in nursing homes?

The UK has vaccinated over half a million in two weeks. 70,000 over 6 weeks doesn't seem all that much.

Nearly sure MM said they would start other groups as well. Theres 40K vaccines arriving per week from Pfizer and then Moderna will start coming as well.

Hopefully that should enable them to start other groups as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,237 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Her hospital should be done with 1st injection next week. On the way to eliminating this from big sources of transmission.

The current approved vaccines do not prevent transmission.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭snowcat

Very ill informed and misleading. The vaccines more than likely stop or at least reduce transmission but MAY not. We will not know until the conclusion of further studies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,656 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Not true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

It has been repeatedly pointed out that the UK has 14 times our population and so comparing raw numbers is pointless.

Then on top of that it's not just the 70'000 nursing home residents but thousands of healthcare staff as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

We need hope now more than ever, this thread has been a shining beacon of light.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,100 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

If they didn't have an impact on transmission, they would be useless, we might as well tell everyone to.eat jellybeans. But they do have an affect on transmission, it's kinda the reason d'etre for vaccines.

I understood they don’t have an effect on transmission, they just stop you getting seriously ill. But that’s not all bad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭blackcard

Has there been any agreement on whether a person will get certification for being vaccinated? Or whether you will be booking a vaccine appointment online? Or whether PPS numbers will be used as part of the tracking system?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Choosehowevr.

Is there any concerns about the efficacy of the vaccine with new strains

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Gael23 wrote: »
    I understood they don’t have an effect on transmission, they just stop you getting seriously ill. But that’s not all bad

They indirectly have an effect on transmission though. Once HCW and nursing home residents/ staff get vaccinated, transmission rates will drop.. Question as to whether they prevent those who get vaccinated from shedding virus should they get it is unknown at this conjecture, with exception of Astrazeneca, who have data to suggest it reduces viral load.

They will stop transmission to someone who is vaccinated. It will stop doctors, nurses and admin staff in the hospital from spreading it around to each other. The patients will get it in the vulnerable category. It will prevent them getting it. Nursing home staff and residents will get it and it will prevent it spreading in those environments. Do that and a large part of where it is transmitting is being nuetralized.

Let's face it. The average person in the general public is not a burden on medical infrastructure in this country due to covid. So it doesn't really matter too much about case numbers and how it may spread around shops, schools, pubs, gyms, restaurants, etc if we have the most vulnerable of our society protected. As they are the ones most likely to contribute towards our hospital system being under pressure. The full extent of how much transmission is prevented from the vaccines is not entirely known. But we'll be cutting the head off the snake by vaccinating the hospitals and nursing homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,267 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If they didn't have an impact on transmission, they would be useless, we might as well tell everyone to.eat jellybeans. But they do have an affect on transmission, it's kinda the reason d'etre for vaccines.

It isnt. These vaccines were developed and studied with prevention of illness as initial focus.
    It is still an open question how far they prevent infection and transmission.
    Injected vaccines may very effectively protect someone from illness by protecting the lungs.
    But person may still be shedding the virus from upper respiratory system for a period.
    Nasal vaccines are different.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,267 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

They will stop transmission to someone who is vaccinated. It will stop doctors, nurses and admin staff in the hospital from spreading it around to each other. The patients will get it in the vulnerable category. It will prevent them getting it. Nursing home staff and residents will get it and it will prevent it spreading in those environments. Do that and a large part of where it is transmitting is being nuetralized.

Please provide a source for this claim with reference to specific covid vaccines.

They may operate like that but I havent seen anything solid confirming this.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement