Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Apparently the side effects are milder with Pfizer's vaccine.

Edit: misread. Novavax looks the most promising from the results I've seen. Though some makers could have been disadvantaged by running trials in South Africa and Brazil with vaccine resistant variants. Second preference J&J. AZ looks the least impressive of the 3 imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

Russman wrote: »
    I know we won’t have any choice in the matter, but purely out of curiosity, which of the non mRNA vaccines would ye prefer to take ?

Apparently the AstraZeneca vaccine is based on a vaccine tested for Sars 1 and there was a substantial clinical trial over 10 years ago, so it has the most safety data. I have this from a biology PhD researcher where I work but I never checked the source.

In truth you want to take the one with the most protection and least side effects but the data is not there yet. The early indications from Israel is that the BioNTech/Pfizer is tracking the clinical trial data.

Wife got her second jab of BioNTech/Pfizer vaccine on Friday, 3 weeks to the day from her first jab. Arm is a bit sorer than the first time but that's all! They are pulling 12 hours vaccination shifts at the hospital where she works. Lot of retired nurses have come out of retirement to support the vaccination programme. It is clearly vaccine supply limited at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,854 ✭✭✭kksaints

https://orf.at/stories/3199688/

Austrians also not recommending AZ for over-65s.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Austria would generally line up with Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,672 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

D.Q wrote: »
    Haha maybe it's the January blues talking but I can't wait til these "game changers" actually start changing the game.

We're a few weeks out from having the most vulnerable and health system fully dosed with very effective vaccines from Pfizer and Moderna. J&J has proven efficacy with a validated dosing schedule (single dose) that's easy to store and administer en-masse, it puts the AZ mess behind us, and starts getting the population at large inoculated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,944 ✭✭✭✭josip

Johnson and Johnson are ready to submit now, they've been doing a rolling review and it's a one dose vaccine. The EU have 200million doses on order.

That'll be another game changer.

I thought it was 400m doses?

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/qanda_20_2467
    8/1/2021
    The Commission is negotiating intensely to build a diversified portfolio of vaccines for EU citizens at fair prices. Contracts have been concluded with AstraZeneca (400 million doses), Sanofi-GSK (300 million doses), Johnson and Johnson (400 million doses ), BioNTech-Pfizer 600 million doses, CureVac (405 million doses) and Moderna (160 million doses). The Commission has concluded exploratory talks with the pharmaceutical company Novavax with a view to purchasing up to 200 million doses and with Valneva with a view to purchase up to 60 million doses.

Does anyone know the timeframe for delivery of the J&J doses?
    I read somewhere that it will be well into Q2 due to the US having priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I see that Prof Nolan commenting that if we have 70% of the population vaccinated mass gatherings such as concerts and large sporting events along with packed indoors in an intense social setting, could recommence.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭fulanoquetal

Apologies if this has been asked before but I was looking at admimistration of vaccines on the news and it looks terribly inefficient. The whole process of individual 'vaccination stations' with 1 or 2 nurses, patient sits down, rolls ip sleeve, alcolhol swab, open syringe, uncap needle, fill syringe to 5ml, inject, discard needle, discard syringe etc.

Would it not be possible to have a vaccination 'gun' like a similar guns used for livestock ?. Connect to a 1L/5L/20L tank, automatic changing of needles, automatic alcohol wash between injections...static stations and people walk along the line. I think you would be able to vaccinate 5x the people with 1/5th of teh staff. We know that 10M jabs need to be administered....need to make it as efficient as possible .

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

josip wrote: »
    Does anyone know the timeframe for delivery of the J&J doses?
    I read somewhere that it will be well into Q2 due to the US having priority.

Martin suggested it would be some time in April. For EMA approval anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Apologies if this has been asked before but I was looking at admimistration of vaccines on the news and it looks terribly inefficient. The whole process of individual 'vaccination stations' with 1 or 2 nurses, patient sits down, rolls ip sleeve, alcolhol swab, open syringe, uncap needle, fill syringe to 5ml, inject, discard needle, discard syringe etc.

Would it not be possible to have a vaccination 'gun' like a similar guns used for livestock ?. Connect to a 1L/5L/20L tank, automatic changing of needles, automatic alcohol wash between injections...static stations and people walk along the line. I think you would be able to vaccinate 5x the people with 1/5th of teh staff. We know that 10M jabs need to be administered....need to make it as efficient as possible .
    giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Would it not be possible to have a vaccination 'gun' like a similar guns used for livestock ?. Connect to a 1L/5L/20L tank, automatic changing of needles, automatic alcohol wash between injections...static stations and people walk along the line. I think you would be able to vaccinate 5x the people with 1/5th of teh staff. We know that 10M jabs need to be administered....need to make it as efficient as possible .[/QUOTE]

Not really. Consent has to be recorded, medical eligibility and then the batch number for each 1st dose given. Then for the 2nd jab you still need to go into the persons details on the PC and record the batch number of the dose given. That takes time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

Would it not be possible to have a vaccination 'gun' like a similar guns used for livestock ?. Connect to a 1L/5L/20L tank, automatic changing of needles, automatic alcohol wash between injections...static stations and people walk along the line. I think you would be able to vaccinate 5x the people with 1/5th of teh staff. We know that 10M jabs need to be administered....need to make it as efficient as possible .[/QUOTE

You gonna have an oul lad with a stick keeping the line going? " Gwan Gwan geetupthere up up"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭frozen3

Not really. Consent has to be recorded, medical eligibility and then the batch number for each 1st dose given. Then for the 2nd jab you still need to go into the persons details on the PC and record the batch number of the dose given. That takes time.

Still don't see your reason for why it couldnt work for a room temp/chill vaccine.

Consent, medical eligibility and all that crap should be done online or days before

We can make an app for that lol

Batch number, seriously?

Its 2021, were supposed to be capable of sending people to Mars and batch numbers are a problem?

People fill details online, line up, show the app on phone, get the shot, next

No we will pays GPs €30 a shot instead, like its rocket science

Lads there's trolling and then there's suggesting a vaccination gun.
    Come on, seriously?

Lads there's trolling and then there's suggesting a vaccination gun.
    Come on, seriously?

Its how we got rid of small pox

We used a gun

frozen3 wrote: »

We used a gun
    join date checks out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

We used a gun

Using a gun on everyone with covid would certainly get rid of it once and for all, I have a feeling the death rate might increase however

join date checks out

Whats that got to do with smallpox and vaccination gun?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

astrofool wrote: »
    We're a few weeks out from having the most vulnerable and health system fully dosed with very effective vaccines from Pfizer and Moderna. J&J has proven efficacy with a validated dosing schedule (single dose) that's easy to store and administer en-masse, it puts the AZ mess behind us, and starts getting the population at large inoculated.

Ah 100%. I have no doubt they will be huge steps forward and game changers. A rainy Sunday on the longest January of all time is probably skewing my perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Still don't see your reason for why it couldnt work for a room temp/chill vaccine.

Consent, medical eligibility and all that crap should be done online or days before

We can make an app for that lol

Batch number, seriously?

Its 2021, were supposed to be capable of sending people to Mars and batch numbers are a problem?

People fill details online, line up, show the app on phone, get the shot, next

No we will pays GPs €30 a shot instead, like its rocket science

Of you go see can you turn that into an automated process, dont let the number of page put you off we are banking on you for the sake of humanity.

https://www.sps.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/PVH8-Preparation-of-Pfizer-BioNTech-COVID-19-Vaccine-in-end-user-locations-Issue-2.3-22.01.2021.docx

lbj666 wrote: »
    Of you go see can you turn that into an automated process, dont let the number of page put you off we are banking on you for the sake of humanity.

We obviously wont be using it for liquid nitrogen pfizer vaccine

I said room temperature/ chill, Oxford etc, 2nd generation vaccines will 100% be jet injector vaccine types

Will be an app, line up and needle free, you will see, will be incredibly efficient

https://web.archive.org/web/20120921104456/https://apps.who.int/vaccines-access/injection/injection_safety/safe_injections_choosing_technologies.htm

Mass-campaign jet injectors: High initial cost, very low cost per use, very efficient, systems for maintenance required, models which are designed to draw vaccine from multi-dose vials via a reusable fluid path, are no longer recommended due to risks of disease transmission. See Safety of Injections in Immunization Programs.

El Sueño wrote: »
    Using a gun on everyone with covid would certainly get rid of it once and for all, I have a feeling the death rate might increase however

Your not funny

You didn't know the jet injector/peace gun was used for small pox, did you? Tell the truth? The only disease we ever eradicated

People saw that poster suggest a vaccination gun and ye all laughed, its people like him that's needed

There's an old IQ test, that was 5 dots, you had to draw 3 lines inside those 5 dots without lifting the biro, but the only way to do it was to go outside the box

lbj666 wrote: »

https://www.sps.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/PVH8-Preparation-of-Pfizer-BioNTech-COVID-19-Vaccine-in-end-user-locations-Issue-2.3-22.01.2021.docx

I'm not at all familar with these procedures but that is a lot of steps to follow 10M times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Your not funny

You didn't know the jet injector/peace gun was used for small pox, did you? Tell the truth? The only disease we ever eradicated

People saw that poster suggest a vaccination gun and ye all laughed, its people like him that's needed

There's an old IQ test, that was 5 dots, you had to draw 3 lines inside those 5 dots without lifting the biro, but the only way to do it was to go outside the box

Its interesting, but sorry to use the i am sure they have thought about it card.

Keep in mind aswell if the vaccine manufactures added another layer to the design criteria so that it is suitable for such technology, its just adds more complications to what was a very urgent development process. They were tasked with a vacine that works and fast, worry about administering after.

Aswell i;d imagine mass production of injectors would be a bigger nightmare than feared for vials/syringes at the min.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,880 ✭✭✭iptba

An elderly relative of mine disclosed today they don't want to get the AstraZeneca vaccine as it is not as effective as some of the other vaccines.

Does anyone know what the options are?

For example, would it be possible to get the AstraZeneca vaccine now and then say at the end of the year get another vaccine (our family could afford to pay for it if necessary). Or could they get one of the Covid-19 mRNA vaccines in the next few months?

This person could be described as vaccine hesitant and has never got any vaccine except childhood ones I think, though was leaning towards getting a Covid-19 vaccine for a while recently. I fear they might never get any Covid-19 vaccine.

Feel free to link to other posts or threads on this topic: I admit I haven't been following this thread.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Just saw this Tweet

https://twitter.com/ashishkjha/status/1356079020878786561

Really sums up how good these vaccines are after all is said and done.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

marno21 wrote: »
    Just saw this Tweet

https://twitter.com/ashishkjha/status/1356079020878786561

Really sums up how good these vaccines are after all is said and done.

Meaningless happy clappy chart.

How many of the 15000, 18000 after vaccination were exposed to covid for long enough to "test" the vaccine

Control group etc ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

gctest50 wrote: »
    Meaningless happy clappy chart.

How many of the 15000, 18000 after vaccination were exposed to covid for long enough to "test" the vaccine

Control group etc ?

You should write to AstraZeneca, J&J, Novavax, Moderna and Pfizer and tell them that their trials and results are completely "meaningless" and "happy clappy" then. You obviously know better.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement