Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,855 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

is_that_so wrote: »
    Yeah, that's next week. They still have to get through the care homes and HCWs first for 2nd shots. So relax! Taking a week to check everything is properly in place is a good thing and when we get to gen pop it will move a lot faster.

Why should i or anyone relax?

We are being told we are in grave danger and lockdowns will persist for weeks on end, but the government should sit on a Vaccine for a week because it came earlier?

Whatever plans were in place for distribution based on it arrive on the 15th, action on the 8th. there is no excuse or reason to do otherwise.

If the government are telling us to make sacrifices and do everything we can, then they can do the same on there end, and sitting on a vaccine for a week would not be doing everything they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Responder XY

Disadvantaged sociodemographic groups more likely to experience a higher burden of infection.

How exactly is that defined though - how does one know if they fit into that group?

Easy to imagine the horrendous living conditions that many low paid workers live in, but what about other scenarios?
    Places where people share a room with another adult?
    Parents in their early 60s with adult children still at home?
    Students in a house share?
    Young professionals in a house share?

Can imagine each of them making a claim on this!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

How exactly is that defined though - how does one know if they fit into that group?

Easy to imagine the horrendous living conditions that many low paid workers live in, but what about other scenarios?

Its not going down that route, we are talking about direct provision, prisons, detention centres etc. Possibly meat factories and other "essential" confined working environments. Maybe travelling community but dont take my word on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

the AZ shipment is coming a week wearly. so if they were planned for the over 70's, at mid-feb, then the fact they are coming a week earlier should mean they start getting out there a week earlier.

If that means workign day and night from Monday through to getting them out there, so be it. Organize and pay for what is needed. Sitting on them for a week because they came a week early would be pathetic.

I have family in that group , I would far prefer they organise it properly and be well prepared and GPs all organised than rushing it all because it came early

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I think it's certain ethnic groups. It could be such workers too but the definition also goes on to talk about multi-generational homes and where social distancing is very difficult. TBH they won't be a very large grouping. Groups 3 & 5 are about the biggest for now, together are about 700,000. The first really big cohort is in Group 12.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

josip wrote: »
    Are nursing home staff considered FCWs or Group 4, other HCWs ?
    If so, it would appear that all of Groups 1, 2 and 3 have received their first dose?
    Nursing home staff would be considered FCW.

At this stage almost all of groups 1, 2 & 4 will have received their first dose. A significant chunk of group 6 will have been done.

There's a bit of an overlap between groups 4 & 6, but a lot of group 6 are being done privately; Pfizer are vaccinating 4,000 of their staff from their own stocks, so don't need to be done by the HSE.

There will be pockets from all groups who have yet to receive it for various reasons. But that doesn't mean the programme is in bad shape or that rollout to further groups shouldn't proceed.

seamus wrote: »
    Nursing home staff would be considered FCW.

At this stage almost all of groups 1, 2 & 4 will have received their first dose. A significant chunk of group 6 will have been done.

There's a bit of an overlap between groups 4 & 6, but a lot of group 6 are being done privately; Pfizer are vaccinating 4,000 of their staff from their own stocks, so don't need to be done by the HSE.

There will be pockets from all groups who have yet to receive it for various reasons. But that doesn't mean the programme is in bad shape or that rollout to further groups shouldn't proceed.

Would Pfizer staff be considered group 6? I would have thought it would be service providers to hospitals and the healthcare system etc. rather than essential manufacturing. I know Pfizer can supply their own, but if it were the case that Pfizer were group 6, there are a lot more people in that cohort than I had previously thought

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

josip wrote: »
    Going by the SBB infographic in January, 150,000 would exceed nursing home residents and FCWs by roughly 25,000.

6utgyAI.png

Are nursing home staff considered FCWs or Group 4, other HCWs ?
    If so, it would appear that all of Groups 1, 2 and 3 have received their first dose?

Or are the SBB numbers incorrect?

I know a lot of non healthcare staff like secretaries, catering staff etc in hospitals have been done

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Would Pfizer staff be considered group 6? I would have thought it would be service providers to hospitals and the healthcare system etc. rather than essential manufacturing. I know Pfizer can supply their own, but if it were the case that Pfizer were group 6, there are a lot more people in that cohort than I had previously thought
    Group 6 is "key workers", which is to say anyone who works in a job that is essential to the vaccine rollout programme. So this would be GPs* and their staff, staff in manufacturing facilities, staff in the storage facilities, anyone who will be driving the vehicles, anyone involved in loading or unloading, etc.

That graph shows 25,000, but depending on how wide you cast your net it could be more than that. For example, the truck drivers would need it, but their managers wouldn't. However, for the sake of expedience they would both get it.

*Though GPs would technically be group 4

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I have family in that group , I would far prefer they organise it properly and be well prepared and GPs all organised than rushing it all because it came early

But why just accept that they can't be for next week?

Why can't we expect the goverment to make use of the fact the vaccine came early and get it out early?

There should be plans ready to be executed, and we should be working to put them into place a week early.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    Group 6 is "key workers", which is to say anyone who works in a job that is essential to the vaccine rollout programme. So this would be GPs* and their staff, staff in manufacturing facilities, staff in the storage facilities, anyone who will be driving the vehicles, anyone involved in loading or unloading, etc.

That graph shows 25,000, but depending on how wide you cast your net it could be more than that. For example, the truck drivers would need it, but their managers wouldn't. However, for the sake of expedience they would both get it.

*Though GPs would technically be group 4

Wouldn't include Pfizer Ireland then outside of possibly logistics support

In early January Martin predicted we would have 135,000 done with both shots by the end of February. We look to be a good bit ahead of that prediction.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

BigMo1 wrote: »
    I do wonder when we have 5-10% of population vaccinated and mortality really tails off, how that will effect government plans. Obviously given the situation since Xmas week, harsh lockdowns are widely accepted as they're clearly necessary but when death is very minimal, that may change.

We'll need a much higher percentage vaccinated before any significant reduction in restrictions.

Even if you've essentially reduced the IFR by vaccinating the most vulnerable, you'll still get a high level of mortality if enough (non-vulnerable) people are infected. You also have significantly higher chance of mutations and vaccine resistance developing.

In early January Martin predicted we would have 135,000 done with both shots. We look to be a good bit ahead of that prediction.

What do you mean here?

We've 200k total shots done. but only 50k people have got both. So if the prediction was 135,000 would have got both, we are 85,000 shots short of that

What do you mean here?

We've 200k total shots done. but only 50k people have got both. So if the prediction was 135,000 would have got both, we are 85,000 shots short of that
    By the end of February. I see I left that bit out!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Wouldn't include Pfizer Ireland then outside of possibly logistics support

Pfizer staff are all getting it at the moment from Pfizer

frozen3 wrote: »
    Its good

All 1,2,4 with a jab by 1st Feb?

If we have 3 with a jab by 1st March we are in a good place.

Only anecdotal but nursing home my wife works in has had an outbreak over the last 2 weeks in ( Limerick County ) she, lots of staff and residents were vaccinated a week or so before outbreak occurred and so far everone has only had mild symptoms, a similar sized nursing home had something like 18 deaths and alot of sickness over Christmas pre vaccine

Only early days yet there but based on what they've seen, that the one jab is giving some protection for severe illness.

I'm glad you posted this as my mother has tested positive in a nursing home, just over a week after getting the first vaccine. She has underlying conditions so it's a big worry. It does seem milder so far than the outbreak they had in the first wave. My mam's only symptoms were vomiting for a few hours at the beginning, and fatigue. So far no breathing problems and we're just hoping it stays that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Water John

WHO are asking UK to pause their vaccination programme when all vulnerable groups are vaccinated. This is to help ensure vulnerable groups in other countries are vaccinated. This will be an interesting moral debate for all of us, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Some good news on the treatment front!

https://twitter.com/ema_news/status/1356267404364550146?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Cork2021

• Advertisement

Cork2021 wrote: »

Well, that was very quick.

Water John wrote: »
    WHO are asking UK to pause their vaccination programme when all vulnerable groups are vaccinated. This is to help ensure vulnerable groups in other countries are vaccinated. This will be an interesting moral debate for all of us, I think.

Can see BJ telling them to eff off, and the general population being very unhappy about any kind of restrictions being in place while vaccines are sent out of the country.

Can see BJ telling them to eff off, and the general population being very unhappy about any kind of restrictions being in place while vaccines are sent out of the country.
    It's hard to say because they are applying that 12 week strategy. We may get the "vulnerable" done first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Brilliant! Is it still the case that these aren't very useful unless it's caught extremely early? Or was that a different treatment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Malcomex

Water John wrote: »

No chance of that happening

Vaccination is BJs trump card after all the failings

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Brilliant! Is it still the case that these aren't very useful unless it's caught extremely early? Or was that a different treatment?
    Here's the report on Regeneron again.

https://www.statnews.com/2021/01/26/regeneron-says-monoclonal-antibodies-prevent-covid-19-in-study/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Malcomex wrote: »
    No chance of that happening

Vaccination is BJs trump card after all the failings

In fairness its a bit much for calling for this now, when the purchase agreements were made months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

funnydoggy wrote: »

These mAB treatments would be great for care home and similar settings where there are recently discovered outbreaks, they can provide some protection right after exposure or as a prophylactic. This is assuming those people haven't been vaccinated there yet or can't take the vaccine due to medical reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭brickster69

Link does not work. VDL forgot to set up the web hosting. :eek:

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement