Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

The dates when each nursing home will be vaccinated.

Happy Christmas folks, we're near to the end of this.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/health/revealed-when-every-care-home-in-the-country-will-get-their-supply-of-covid-19-vaccine-39899564.html

We're near the beginning of the end

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Is there any concerns about the efficacy of the vaccine with new strains

Zero

Marhay70 wrote: »
    It appears to me that the HSE waits for one operation to be completed and then starts to think about the next one, surely there must be someone in there capable of forward planning.

Forward planning?

In the HSE?

tenor.gif

Gael23 wrote: »
    I still don’t think that volume is good enough or showing any sense of urgency

It's not

We're dragging our feet in typical HSE style

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Choosehowevr.

Hmm ,are we dispensing the vaccines as they arrive?

Or is there delays

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Hmm ,are we dispensing the vaccines as they arrive?

Or is there delays

Arriving tomorrow. Dispensing starts on the 30th.

Arriving tomorrow. Dispensing starts on the 30th.

Thanks I mean the next while

Are we administering slower than we receive them

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

odyssey06 wrote: »
    It isnt. These vaccines were developed and studied with prevention of illness as initial focus.
    It is still an open question how far they prevent infection and transmission.
    Injected vaccines may very effectively protect someone from illness by protecting the lungs.
    But person may still be shedding the virus from upper respiratory system for a period.
    Nasal vaccines are different.

Fair enough, I shouldn't have used that wording, I meant vaccines ultimately will stop people people effectively spreading virus that causes Covid to people in a way that will cause issues for our health system, my wording was poorly phrased, but it will prevent transmission of Covid 19 the disease, rather than Sars Cov-2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Please provide a source for this claim with reference to specific covid vaccines.

They may operate like that but I havent seen anything solid confirming this.

You haven't seen anything solid that says the covid 19 vaccines protect against catching covid 19? What about the high efficacy levels from the data available publicly? Of course someone can still get it and pass it on. It's not a suit of armor. But it will greatly reduce the risk bases on anything I've read.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,840 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You haven't seen anything solid that says the covid 19 vaccines protect against catching covid 19? What about the high efficacy levels from the data available publicly? Of course someone can still get it and pass it on. It's not a suit of armor. But it will greatly reduce the risk bases on anything I've read.

I haven't seen anything solid about it preventing transmission from a vaccinated person.
    Therefore describing the action of the vaccine as preventing vaccinated people from transmitting covid to each other is misleading \ a little confusing.

It's not totally clear if the vaccine will prevent you from catching covid either - indications from Moderna is that it should but nothing solid yet.

But if you are talking about preventing illness, then of course that is what the high efficacy levels are about.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,510 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

For the person vaccinated they are protected, until we get to a stage where the entire vulnerable population and those in healthcare are vaccinated masks and controls will still be needed to stop the spread. The big danger is those vaccinated swanning around not a bother on them while silently infecting the vulernable.

New York Times...
    That’s because the Pfizer and Moderna trials tracked only how many vaccinated people became sick with Covid-19. That leaves open the possibility that some vaccinated people get infected without developing symptoms, and could then silently transmit the virus — especially if they come in close contact with others or stop wearing masks.

If vaccinated people are silent spreaders of the virus, they may keep it circulating in their communities, putting unvaccinated people at risk.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/08/health/covid-vaccine-mask.html

Good to see that

It's not rocket science this so everything should go to plan

What are they doing on messaging to encourage everyone to get vaccinated?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Good to see that

It's not rocket science this so everything should go to plan

What are they doing on messaging to encourage everyone to get vaccinated?

Also wonder what happens with patients in nursing homes who do not have capacity to consent

Also wonder what happens with patients in nursing homes who do not have capacity to consent

Would consent be needed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

There seems to be now a cohort spilling over from the main thread that will try and do anything to discredit the vaccine vs getting back to normality. It’s like they are trying to find flaws in the vaccine hoping that the possibility of restrictions will never be lifted so that they can keep up with the drama and misery with their bullying condescending arrogance against people who have a different opinion to them about the ongoing restrictions, possibly other agendas in there somewhere.

It feels like they’d love to see this continuing on indefinitely. Some posters just can’t accept any good news regarding this disgusting virus. Even the likes put on certain posts from certain posters are so predictable, you can nearly predict who’ll put a like on it, it’s like a cult following. Funnily enough they are all the hardcore lockdown merchants.

Whether some like it or not this is the begining of the end. Get used to it, the game is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,053 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Not so sure how it works, but what about relatives giving consent if needed.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    There seems to be now a cohort spilling over from the main thread that will try and do anything to discredit the vaccine vs getting back to normality. It’s like they are trying to find flaws in the vaccine hoping that restrictions won’t be lifted so that they can keep up with their bullying condescending arrogance against people who have a different opinion about the restrictions. It feels like they’d love to see this continuing on indefinitely. Even the posters liking certain posts are so predictable.

Whether some like it or not this is the begining of the end. Get used to it, the game is up.

They're a pain in the hole

We're going to be wearing masks now forever according to some

Think a lot of them don't enjoy life so it makes no difference to them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,053 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

There seems to be now a cohort spilling over from the main thread that will try and do anything to discredit the vaccine vs getting back to normality. It’s like they are trying to find flaws in the vaccine hoping that restrictions will never be lifted so that they can keep up with their bullying condescending arrogance against people who have a different opinion about the restrictions. It feels like they’d love to see this continuing on indefinitely. Even the posters liking certain posts are so predictable.

??? Seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Many residents have signed a Power of Attorney and this means someone can consent for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I see that the US are requiring negative test proof before being allowed to board US bound flights from the UK. I can see that this will lead to proof of vaccination in the future.

I see the US are requiring negative test proof before alowed boarding a US bound flight from the UK. I can see this will be extended to vaccinated proof in the future.

Hopefully put the windup the anti vaxxers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Reckon it won’t long until we’ll be administrating 3 vaccines on this island!

https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-40196799.html?fbclid=IwAR0Zz86IJs2nUS3WbpTlaUK8ZDuQwImkUXlhBG3Qkl9U2axkoM5038A3jik

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Cork2021 wrote: »

Was this always a two dose one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Wonder what happens to excess doses at the end of a day in the nursing home - I’m sure it is planned to be minimum but would be a shame to waste any.

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Wonder what happens to excess doses at the end of a day in the nursing home - I’m sure it is planned to be minimum but would be a shame to waste any.

Why would there be excess

Why would there be excess

Say it comes in batches of 5 and there are 34 to be vaccinated? Or someone says they want it but changes their mind or passes away.

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Say it comes in batches of 5 and there are 34 to be vaccinated? Or someone says they want it but changes their mind or passes away.

Ah ok

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

There seems to be now a cohort spilling over from the main thread that will try and do anything to discredit the vaccine vs getting back to normality. It’s like they are trying to find flaws in the vaccine hoping that the possibility of restrictions will never be lifted so that they can keep up with the drama and misery with their bullying condescending arrogance against people who have a different opinion to them about the ongoing restrictions, possibly other agendas in there somewhere.

It feels like they’d love to see this continuing on indefinitely. Some posters just can’t accept any good news regarding this disgusting virus. Even the likes put on certain posts from certain posters are so predictable, you can nearly predict who’ll put a like on it, it’s like a cult following. Funnily enough they are all the hardcore lockdown merchants.

A Frog, an Eagle and a Fairy come to mind :)

• Advertisement

Ah ok

Small potential wastage but maybe it can be used the next day elsewhere?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement