Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

They said patient wishes would be taken into account. So I guess people might have the option to wait for Pfizer/Modern if they choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Malcomex wrote: »
    Mass vaccination centres?

In the absence of a unique identifying number, how will they be able to keep track of who has received which vaccine and how many doses.
    If they attempt to use the PPS number for this purpose, there will be pushback on the grounds that it would not be a proper use of that identifier!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 55 ✭✭braychelsea

Just to add on to the German vaccine number's , that would be mean we would receive 4.45m vaccines in Q2 (This doesn't include Novavax which could probably be at least another 500,000 doses / not sure if this includes Pfizer's extra 750,000 doses). If we switch to a one-dose strategy in Q2 (pending the success of UK's results) , we could achieve herd immunity very quickly during summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Stark wrote: »
    They said patient wishes would be taken into account. So I guess people might have the option to wait for Pfizer/Modern if they choose.

I'd be very surprised if that happened at any stage this year. You could be left in a scenario where loads of people are left waiting (e.g. for Moderna) and consequently you could have a pile of unwanted vaccines (e.g. AZ). Would be a logistical nightmare imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,365 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Roger_007 wrote: »
    In the absence of a unique identifying number, how will they be able to keep track of who has received which vaccine and how many doses.
    If they attempt to use the PPS number for this purpose, there will be pushback on the grounds that it would not be a proper use of that identifier!

Why wouldn't it be a proper use of the identifier. It's perfect for it.

If you're over 16 you have one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Vicxas wrote: »

You have one as a child once registered

• Registered Users Posts: 15,365 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

pc7 wrote: »
    You have one as a child once registered

As someone with 2 kids im gonna lose my parent card for forgetting this...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Vicxas wrote: »

Under data protection legislation, that number can only be used for purposes defined in the legislation under which the identifier was created.
    There was an almighty row about this at the time of the proposed water charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Under data protection legislation, that number can only be used for purposes defined in the legislation under which the identifier was created.

I’m sure I’m a national crisis nobody can justifiably argue against it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Already dealt with

https://www.hse.ie/eng/gdpr/data-protection-covid-19/data-protection-covid-19-vaccine-information-system.html

The information we process

To allow us to provide the COVID-19 Vaccination to you, we collect and process various categories of personal information. Only relevant data is recorded, for example, data that is necessary to identify you, book your appointment, record your vaccination and monitor its effects.

Type of information we collect

Personal details about you, such as; date of birth, address, contact details, including:
    asking for a mobile phone number and email address;
    GP details as well as your PPS Number (for identification purposes);
    Special categories of information including: Ethnicity and Occupation as well as data concerning health including: consent and eligibility, vaccination status, prioritisation category, at - risk category. We also collect information to relate to any COVID-19 infection that you may experience or side effects you may report from the vaccine.
    Why we process your information

To ensure appropriate governance of information in relation to the vaccination programme.
    To schedule appointments for vaccination.
    To maintain and manage access to appropriate healthcare records of vaccinations, adverse reactions et cetera.
    To manage the recording of consent for vaccination.
    To provide appropriate anonymised reporting and analytical functionality.
    It is intended that your personal and special category data collected as part of the vaccine programme will be used only for the purposes of programme management and reporting.

This will include at a future date your enablement to access a smart digital vaccination certificate as evidence of your COVID-19 vaccination in Ireland. This is in line with on-going coordinated European Council and WHO efforts in this area.

Use of PPSN for finding your Individual Health Identifier (IHI)

Where possible, the HSE will use your personal public service number (PPSN) to locate your Individual Health Identifier (IHI) on the National Register of Individual Health Identifiers.

The lawful basis for this processing is contained in the Health Identifiers Act 2014.

Using your PPSN to accurately locate your Individual Health Identifier helps to ensure that your particulars are being correctly assigned with the correct IHI which is required for patient safety.

Under both the Health Identifiers Act 2014 and the Medicinal Products (Prescription and Control of Supply) (Amendment) (No. 7) Regulations 2020, if you do not have, or are unable to give, a personal public service number, you may provide other identifying particulars in order to help locate your IHI.

This means that no individual presenting to receive a COVID-19 Vaccine will be denied the vaccine because they are unable to provide their PPSN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

PPS numbers are already used for vaccinations and have been since the inception of Irelands childhood immunization schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

I'm sure that fuss really had people's concerns about personal data at the heart of it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Are we mostly on plan with vaccinations then?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,945 ✭✭✭✭josip

Does anyone have the AZ trial results for the 65+ cohort?
    I'm trying to decide if we should recommend my 83 year old mother to get that one or wait for BioNTech.
    She's minded herself well for the past 11 months and an extra 1 or 2 for BioNTech wouldn't be a biggie if their trial data for that cohort existed/was more reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Water John

josip wrote: »
    I'm trying to decide if we should recommend my 83 year old mother to get that one or wait for BioNTech.
    She's minded herself well for the past 11 months and an extra 1 or 2 for BioNTech wouldn't be a biggie if their trial data for that cohort existed/was more reliable.

Not sure how you think you have choice in the matter. Not being dismissive of your concerns but that's the reality. The EMA seem OK with it.
    Just listening to Fauci. He's saying all the approved vaccines prevent you getting seriously ill and that's what's important.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

I wonder how they will do it.

Will it be an opt out of AZ?

And then what ..... a delay before other vaccines?

What about <65 high risk people?

Or will they now plan on the basis of opt outs and reallocate AZ to other groups?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭brickster69

Not an expert but from what information is available it appears that it is very effective at stopping you dying or getting seriously ill from Covid. No idea about if it prevents you from catching it. Good luck to your Mum all the same.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 13,410 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

What is wrong with using PPSN?

EDIT: I read further posts, thank you, I see there already are unique Health Identifiers, interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭plodder

I think it's very unlikely you'll be presented with a menu to choose from. So, it would be wrong to not take whatever vaccine is offered. I'd guess you'll be able to get your vaccine of choice some time in the future if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Cork2021

In the unlikely event that the J&J vaccine or curevac aren’t given approval by the EMA Germany looks like it will steam ahead using their own medicines agency

https://twitter.com/kbrady90/status/1356315895790972928?s=21

• Advertisement

Cork2021 wrote: »
    In the unlikely event that the J&J vaccine or curevac aren’t given approval by the EMA Germany looks like it will steam ahead using their own medicines agency

https://twitter.com/kbrady90/status/1356315895790972928?s=21

Are you sure your reading of that is correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

See some People spouting on about the risk of ADE from being vaccinated.

Is this just misinformation?

Happy4all wrote: »
    See some People spouting on about the risk of ADE from being vaccinated.

Is this just misinformation?

You do know you've been vaccinated, moreso the second dose. Lasts about 24 hrs, but a minor inconvenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Water John wrote: »
    Are you sure your reading of that is correct?

Yeah looks that way to me. It’s the wording near the end, of offering a vaccine to all.
    Hard to do with just Pfizer, moderna and Oxford by then...

There is also Sputnik V applying. Remember Germany are being more cautious than the EMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭eoinbn

snotboogie wrote: »
    No way we see 200k Curevac in Q2. They haven't released phase 3 data yet and in the middle of last month they said they said bringing the vaccine to market in 2021 "is doable"

https://www.fiercebiotech.com/biotech/jpm-curevac-s-new-pharma-partner-bayer-says-its-covid-vaccine-not-just-also-ran

Moderna went from the start of phase 3 trials to approved by the EMA in just over 5 months. There was far less covid cases during that period. A similar timeline but would have Curevac approved in early June.
    However their is a few question marks over Curevacs vaccine which seems to have more severe side effects.

Having got a kick up the backside, the EMA might be quicker in future. Might be a repeat but if Johnson is approved when are they delivering?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

There is also Sputnik V applying. Remember Germany are being more cautious than the EMA.

Has Hungary started distributing Sputnik 5 yet? If they have in two months time might have some good real world data from within the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,945 ✭✭✭✭josip

Not sure how you think you have choice in the matter. Not being dismissive of your concerns but that's the reality. The EMA seem OK with it.
    Just listening to Fauci. He's saying all the approved vaccines prevent you getting seriously ill and that's what's important.

Maybe I misunderstood this poster then when they said
    Cork2021 wrote: »
    So Fergal Bowers on the 9 o clock news saying that the AstraZeneca vaccine is an option for over 65’s as is the Pfizer and moderna vaccines.
    So looks like we’ll be vaccinating a large cohort of people in our local GP surgeries and pharmacies

Is there any reason given for why we are approving it for 65+ and some other EU countries didn't?

• Advertisement

Germany and Austria are being more cautious than the EMA, because the data is not as strong as they would wish. The sample of over 65s in the trial was relatively small.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement