Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,640 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Prof Nolan shouldn’t be coming out with comments like “ life won’t be going back to normal”. Not a great incentive for the vaccine for a start.

Why shouldn't he be saying that? Because you don't like what he is saying, even though its the truth.

Think about that for a few minutes, you would rather someone blow smoke up your ass, rather then be honest about it.
    The lack of honesty from within is one of the main reasons why Ireland is in its 3rd lockdown and wont be easing anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭Apogee

Any chance the discussion of NPHET and relaxation of restrictions could be done elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Cole wrote: »
    He's just stating the obvious truth...better than 'feel good' fairy tales. Things will get much better but not back to normal as we knew it.

People have very short memories. Our lives will return back mostly to normal with the exception of one or two small things that won't make a huge difference to our everyday lives.

Masks & mass vaccination during winter to prevent flu season is something I think society will accept, and is a welcome change.

Social distancing and widespread usage masks in shops will go out the window. People will be blasting each other with particles tightly packed into cafés and bars again :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,945 ✭✭✭✭josip

markodaly wrote: »
    Why shouldn't he be saying that? Because you don't like what he is saying, even though its the truth.

Think about that for a few minutes, you would rather someone blow smoke up your ass, rather then be honest about it.
    The lack of honesty from within is one of the main reasons why Ireland is in its 3rd lockdown and wont be easing anytime soon.

It's not the truth, it's his opinion.
    And although there seems to be disappointment about it in some quarters, the reality is that as we go through the year and vaccines roll out, normality will return.
    We will regain our freedoms to meet people, go places and enjoy life again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Cole

josip wrote: »
    It's not the obvious truth.
    Nobody can really predict more than a month in advance exactly what things will be like. I hate the term, but it really is a very fluid situation.
    Predicting for the summer and beyond is crystal ball territory at this stage.

The problem we have had for too long now is that the worst case scenario stories suits both:
    • NPHET, to scare people into minimising spread
    • The meeja, because bad news makes more money than good news
    We really need to be countering this default negativity with optimistic people.

Nobody's disagreeing with that I think, but the key word in what he said is "normal". Does anyone really think we'll be back to a typical pre Covid-19 summer in 2021? It'll be much better I think, but not our previous "normal".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Cole

And although there seems to be disappointment about it in some quarters, the reality is that as we go through the year and vaccines roll out, normality will return.

Hopefully, but not to fly off to wherever we want and potentially bring back new variants...so not back to complete normality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭frozen3

Doc07 wrote: »
    Luke is great, very positive.
    FYI our GPs, Physios are fully qualified public health doctors and Maynooth President is a qualified medical doc with a PhD

They are not virologists

We should have them addressing the nation

If you go to a Dr. and he says you have X wrong with you, I guess that is just his opinion!
    We are in Alice in Wonderland stuff here.

I will repeat, this 'We will be grand in a few weeks' thinking is one of the core reasons why we are in lockdown 3, do you want lockdown version 4.0 ?

He is just being honest, I know people would rather him lie to us, but that is not his problem.

On the last points, of course, normality will return, at some stage, but expectations of things being back to where they were Feb 2020 in a few months are widely off the mark. It is fantasy stuff.

Life will get better around the summertime, with restrictions indoors and the like but life won't get back to normal, Feb 2020 normal, until well into next year.
    I know people don't like hearing it, but it is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

gmisk wrote: »
    They are being tested.......it takes time...if you want it done right, they only applied on the 20th of January (sputnik the Russian one)
    https://www.euractiv.com/section/health-consumers/news/russia-files-for-sputnik-vaccine-registration-in-eu/
    Unless your suggesting we should just start using them without the proper testing?

Why would I suggest that when it clearly says in my post test them first.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,945 ✭✭✭✭josip

Cole wrote: »
    Nobody's disagreeing with that I think, but the key word in what he said is "normal". Does anyone really think we'll be back to a typical pre Covid-19 summer in 2021? It'll be much better I think, but not our previous "normal".

I agree that the summer won't be fully normal again, but it won't be the "summer won't happen" that some are predicting.
    May won't be 'normal', but by August I doubt if there will be many restrictions.
    Maybe some countries will still be clinging to PCR tests for travel, for example if their governments have a cosy relationship with a PCR testing firm (The French have form here).
    But with 70% vaccinated by then, many of those with a 90%+ efficacy vaccine and the lower summer transmissibility of the virus, it's just going to fade away from August on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Ah but that’s fantastical thinking. We shall not return to normal.
    Vaccines will be in mass rollout come April. Some people will just have to get used to it!! Normality will return. Some things will stay like some will always now wear masks especially in winter more people will get the flu jab, more people will attend loca primary health care rather then go to a&e all these are positive and will help us in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

As Luke O'Neill states, rapid testing will be extremely useful going forward.

Looks like another piece of the puzzle for getting us out of this depression.

The HSE have already started - https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-hse-to-introduce-antigen-testing-in-hospitals-this-week-1.4470903

If you go to a Dr. and he says you have X wrong with you, I guess that is just his opinion!

I will repeat, this 'We will be grand in a few weeks' thinking is one of the core reasons why we are in lockdown 3, do you want lockdown version 4.0 ?

He is just being honest, I know people would rather him lie to us, but that is not his problem.

On the last points, of course, normality will return, at some stage, but expectations of things being back to where they were Feb 2020 in a few months are widely off the mark. It is fantasy stuff.

Life will get better around the summertime, with restrictions indoors and the like but life won't get back to normal, Feb 2020 normal, until well into next year.

And how are you dismissing other people’s opinions when locking down on your own?
    I’ve posted already you’ve a negative attitude towards this and people do need the likes of Luke O Neill being positive. We’ve all been through the ringer the last 12 months, we need positivity!!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭quartz1

How many vaccines will.be coming into the Country per week roughly when the AZ begin next week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

quartz1 wrote: »
    How many vaccines will.be coming into the Country per week roughly when the AZ begin next week

35k next week. After that I don't know.

Cork2021 wrote: »
    And how are you dismissing other people’s opinions when locking down on your own?
    I’ve posted already you’ve a negative attitude towards this and people do need the likes of Luke O Neill being positive. We’ve all been through the ringer the last 12 months, we need positivity!!

It is not my opinion, it is the opinion of a member of NPHET... which outweighs yours.

People need to be positive, but they also need to be realistic, because if we go and make the same mistake as we did twice already, then there will be no one to blame but ourselves when we find ourselves in another lockdown.

Case in point, do people remember the mantra about 'deserving' a summer or a Christmas? How did that go?

Things will get better, but it will be a much slower burn then the last few times. The reasons are obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I'm still very curious about when it's said that we need 70% (or more) vaccine uptake. Is this being calculated from our total population or just our adult population? Because if it's total population then, until the vaccine has been fully tested and confirmed safe for use on children, we will really struggle to get as many people as we need vaccinated.

iguana wrote: »
    I'm still very curious about when it's said that we need 70% (or more) vaccine uptake. Is this being calculated from our total population or just our adult population? Because if it's total population then, until the vaccine has been fully tested and confirmed safe for use on children, we will really struggle to get as many people as we need vaccinated.

Yea, good point. There are what, 15% of the population under 18?

The Vaccines haven't been tested on kids yet, for obvious reasons, especially really young kids like babies and the like, but they are unlikely to get sick from it, but they could spread it.

Also, as noted, with the new varients, herd immunity benchmarks go higher. I heard 85-90% rather than 70-75% is the goal now, with the SA variant being on the march.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

Yeah, this seems to be about how we can improve supply rather than newly uncovered delays.

Reading that in the EC deals there was increased liability on the side of the vaccine makers, I wonder to what extent this is holding up supply. If they are liable in the EU, but not in the rest of the world it makes more sense to distribute elsewhere first rather than take the full risk in Europe. Even without best-effort clauses, there is a possibility that pharma chiefs are less helpful with the EC because of this and will drag things out that little bit more.

It may have been better to transfer liability later from EU/national gov to pharma in order to have a more level playing field. Anyway, more spilt milk. The Germans yesterday had a good debate on supply, and there is a lot of pressure on leaders and the EC/EU at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

In the words of Dr John Campbell:

“The virus will be eliminated within the next few seasons”

Normality will return .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Good post.

Life will get eventually return to normal. But it will be gradual.

If we try to push it to to soon we will just regress and the longer it will take.

Steady, sensible incremental steps, taken one at at a time, will safely bring us out of resctrions.

Good post.

Life will get eventually return to normal. But it will be gradual.

If we try to push it to to soon we will just regress and the longer it will take.

Steady, sensible incremental steps, taken one at at a time, will safely bring us out of resctrions.

"Steady, sensible incremental steps, " ah but you are a doom monger around these parts by stating this... :pac::p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

"Steady, sensible incremental steps, " ah but you are a doom monger around these parts by stating this... :pac::p

Not sure what’s worse, doom mongers or Wum/trolls. No one on this thread claims normality would return in weeks or a couple of months that you seem to claim. I have always said at least the last quarter of the year provided Donnelly’s prediction all vaccinated by September holds true . Stop exaggerating to promote your condescending arrogance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Hardyn wrote: »
    https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.01.30.21250843v1

A new study that shows individuals who were previously infected with the virus responded extremely well to a single dose of the mRNA vaccines. The original infection seemed to serve as a a primer with the single dose serving as the booster. There did not seem to be a difference between symptomatic and asymptomatic. It's suggests that for for those with a prior infection a single dose may be sufficient.

Does 'responded well' mean increased antibodies? Thanks.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Not sure what’s worse, doom mongers or Wum/trolls. No one on this thread claims normality would return in weeks or a couple of months. I always said at least the last quarter of the year provided Donnelly’s prediction all vaccinated by September holds true . Stop exaggerating to promote your condescending arrogance.

I’m not bothering anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

No more news on us getting excess British supply or was that just PR guff?

Ah jaysus I loves me some positivity and possibly seriously good news coming!!!

https://twitter.com/coronavirusgoo1/status/1356581395536244738?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

polesheep wrote: »
    If only Luke O'Neill were fronting the NPHET/HSE TV show. We'd at least have a happier outlook. Fair play to him

He is fine and entertaining and all, but he is not beyond spoofing.

On the Pat Kenny show, when the AZ results first came out with the whole half dose full dose thing. It was not announced that it was an error. O'Neill declared that it was a fantastic bit of science and had a whole rational to explain why they had done so, you see.

For the real experts, vs the entertainers you can't afford to have someone with such a cavalier attitute to the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

BigMo1 wrote: »
    No more news on us getting excess British supply or was that just PR guff?

Pure pr guff, Brexiteer posturing and bolloxology, by the time the UK are done, we'll be well on our way with our supply lines sorted.

If they continue to take deleveries beyond what they need, they should give them to poor countries. Otherwise they would just not exercise their contracts and let the suppliers deliver the vaccines to the next customer.

Of course if they want to pay for our vaccines thanks :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Ah jaysus I loves me some positivity and possibly seriously good news coming!!!

https://twitter.com/coronavirusgoo1/status/1356581395536244738?s=21

That twitter thread is an absolute Godsend in the current climate!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement