Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

astrofool wrote: »

You would think the HSE would update that page, slack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Mr.Wemmick wrote: »
    This is very worrying coming out of the UK re: covid outbreaks in vaccinated elderly. Makes the 12 week wait for the second vaccine shot a very bad decision.

https://twitter.com/runnermandoc/status/1356337026757492738?s=20

How big are the outbreaks? are they getting just as sick as if they were unprotected, are as many testing positive? These incidents were to be expected.
    We are seeing study elsewhere that its proving to be a good decision, full population group getting less sick is far better than half that group getting no illness and the other half having no protection at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Cork2021

gally74 wrote: »
    from reading is it a stronger or better vaccine than oxford?

Stronger and better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Everyone and their dog knew that the UK decision to space doses would backfire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Stronger and better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXgp5LxAiCc
    Best vaccine and best national anthem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Everyone and their dog knew that the UK decision to space doses would backfire

Has it though? that East Anglia study seems to suggest the contrary

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

uBjFbAh.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Not sure what’s worse, doom mongers or Wum/trolls. No one on this thread claims normality would return in weeks or a couple of months that you seem to claim. I have always said at least the last quarter of the year provided Donnelly’s prediction all vaccinated by September holds true . Stop exaggerating to promote your condescending arrogance.
    Though your post is a bit strong on language, I fully agree with the sentiment. When the medically vulnerable are vaccinated as predicted, I think Luke O'Neills expectations of open beer gardens in mid/late summer is perfectly reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

By Q3 it would seem whoever wants a vaccine will be able to get one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

By Q3 it would seem whoever wants a vaccine will be able to get one

unless your in Africa, or undeveloped countries, I expect international borders will rise form the who has had the cavvine and who hasent....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,066 ✭✭✭✭josip

lbj666 wrote: »
    Has it though? that East Anglia study seems to suggest the contrary

The East Anglia study refers to just BioNTech, whereas the 'anecdotal' report doesn't refer to a specific vaccine, just what they're seeing in the community so would cover both Oxford and BioNTech.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

unless your in Africa, or undeveloped countries, I expect international borders will rise form the who has had the cavvine and who hasent....

Covfefe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Of course I meant here in ROI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,233 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Has anyone read this story yet?
    I know a lot of people are keen to get vaccinated but jesus...
    https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/26/americas/canada-exec-yukon-coronavirus-vaccine-trnd/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

gmisk wrote: »
    Has anyone read this story yet?
    I know a lot of people are keen to get vaccinated but jesus...
    https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/26/americas/canada-exec-yukon-coronavirus-vaccine-trnd/index.html

I cannot fathom the level of greed and disregard for others that would drive somebody to make that decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Malcomex

When do people think we will be able to go into cafes and shops without masks? End of the year, or earlier?

Hopefully after this winter only the vulnerable will need them

Outside chance they could remain or be mandated at certain times?

I'm hoping the former

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

With all this seemingly good vaccine news, what's the consensus on when gathering like gigs and weddings could happen again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Malcomex

BigMo1 wrote: »
    With all this seemingly good vaccine news, what's the consensus on when gathering like gigs and weddings could happen again?

I think a lot will depend on progress in the rest of europe

We'll have to mirror at lot of what they do if the numbers are similar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

BigMo1 wrote: »

Prof Nolan has said that 70% (or possibly 80% with new variants) need to be vaccinated before mass gatherings can take place. All going well, this should be by September....so around then!?!

Smaller events (100 to 200 indoor depending on venue size) can happen at level 1, so we could be at that stage sometime over the summer, once all over 55/vulnerable are vaccinated?

All complete speculation on my part of course!

• Advertisement

1 dose lads and ladies!! Seems to be a lot of agreement that they help in a big way.
    Possibly opens the door for us to plough on with vaccinating 400k immediately and waiting the 12 weeks for the second dose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Recommending the 3 month boost. In fact things are better with a longer boost interval.

Let's shovel a single shot out into as many arms as possible.

hmmm wrote: »
    Recommending the 3 month boost. In fact things are better with a longer boost interval.

That’s a lot of people helped there in short period of time!! Plus you’ll have Pfizer and moderna being put into arms as well.
    I SEE THE LIGHT!!!

Here’s the article If anyone wants a read.

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3777268

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Le Bruise wrote: »
    Prof Nolan has said that 70% (or possibly 80% with new variants) need to be vaccinated before mass gatherings can take place. All going well, this should be by September....so around then!?!

Smaller events (100 to 200 indoor depending on venue size) can happen at level 1, so we could be at that stage sometime over the summer, once all over 55/vulnerable are vaccinated?

All complete speculation on my part of course!

Universities are planning to repeat this year's arrangements for the Autumn term next year so they're not confident!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

hmmm wrote: »

NIAC have already made their recommendations, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

After the great news of new monoclonal antibody treatments it seems they don't match up against the variants, specifically the South African and Brazilian variants.
    The great hope for drug treatments against Covid-19 – the monoclonal antibodies – are failing against variants of the virus, such as those that have emerged in South Africa and Brazil, scientists have found.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/02/monoclonal-antibodies-great-hope-in-covid-treatments-fails-against-variants

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭frozen3

is_that_so wrote: »
    After the great news of new monoclonal antibody treatments it seems they don't match up against the variants, specifically the South African and Brazilian variants.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/02/monoclonal-antibodies-great-hope-in-covid-treatments-fails-against-variants

Crazy

Didn't Germany buy €400m worth?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishexaminer.com/business/companies/arid-40213664.html%3ftype=amp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

NIAC have already made their recommendations, no?
    Yes, but presumably they heavily rely on this forum for their advice :)

In all seriousness, I'm sure the regulators will be very interested in this sort of data, and there's no reason they can't change their advice if they think the data holds up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

frozen3 wrote: »
    It still works against the original. It'll probably just set the process back a bit pending other trials and while the companies figure out what to do about it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement