Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

hmmm wrote: »

Let's shovel a single shot out into as many arms as possible.
    Got this mental image of people lining up one behind the other with each holding out their arms, and then one really long needle is used to inject the vaccine into the whole lot of them at the one time.

Kivaro wrote: »
    Got this mental image of people lining up one behind the other with each holding out their arms, and then one really long needle is used to inject the vaccine into the whole lot of them at the one time.

"The good news is the that vaccine has given you all antibodies to coivd, the bad new is, you now all have hepatitis"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

I saw a scene on TV, from the US I believe, where people were in line with their cars, windows down, sleeves up and arms ready, and a doctor/nurse with the syringes at hand, one for each patient.
    I wondered how they observe the 15 minutes post-injection when there are so many cars in line... do they need a very large space, the like of a supermarket parking lot?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,945 ✭✭✭✭josip

You're right, that is a fairly mental image :)
    And from a practical perspective, a single long needle isn't going to do much for the people towards the front...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

France has recommended against use of AZ for over 65s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

zuutroy wrote: »
    Universities are planning to repeat this year's arrangements for the Autumn term next year so they're not confident!

This is the most depressing thing I’ve heard, is this really true? After a year of uni from the bedroom, I think my teen had better look into going overseas - even if it’s taking a year out and working in another country. It’s completely unacceptable for them to continue in this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,854 ✭✭✭kksaints

As had Poland and the Swedish are recommended it for under 65s and Pfizer and Moderna for over 65s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Italy did the same for over 55s, but then they changed their mind today in the afternoon... probably they were bribed very well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Multipass wrote: »
    This is the most depressing thing I’ve heard, is this really true? After a year of uni from the bedroom, I think my teen had better look into going overseas - even if it’s taking a year out and working in another country. It’s completely unacceptable for them to continue in this way.

As opposed to what? Just start pretending everything is fine?

University campuses breed outbreaks. Every semester on every campus, it's something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,365 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

is_that_so wrote: »
    It still works against the original. It'll probably just set the process back a bit pending other trials and while the companies figure out what to do about it.

Possibly get this and then a booster down the road?

• Advertisement

Miike wrote: »
    As opposed to what? Just start pretending everything is fine?

University campuses breed outbreaks. Every semester on every campus, it's something different.

As opposed to living a goddamn life. It has to end, it’s becoming a farce how much collateral damage is accepted in the young. The elderly will be vaccinated by autumn, the vulnerable will now be protected - everything needs to open up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

France has followed Germany in only recommending the AstraZeneca vaccine those under 65:

https://www.lemonde.fr/planete/article/2021/02/02/la-haute-autorite-de-sante-recommande-le-vaccin-d-astrazeneca-aux-moins-de-65-ans_6068532_3244.html

"Covid-19: the High Authority for Health recommends AstraZeneca vaccine for people under 65
    The HAS considers that "there is a lack of data for people over the age of 65", who are however the people most at risk."

"The French National Authority for Health (HAS) proposed, Tuesday, February 2, to recommend the AstraZeneca vaccine to people under the age of 65. In its opinion, the HAS considers that "there is a lack of data for people over the age of 65" in the phase 3 trials, carried out by the University of Oxford, which designed the product, and the pharmaceutical company Anglo-Swedish, declared Tuesday, February 2, at a press conference the president of the HAS, Dominique Le Guludec. The High Authority, responsible for advising the government, therefore does not recommend administering it to the elderly, who are the most at risk categories."

It's hardly surprising though given the recent comments from Macron.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭Russman

hmmm wrote: »
    Yes, but presumably they heavily rely on this forum for their advice :)

In all seriousness, I'm sure the regulators will be very interested in this sort of data, and there's no reason they can't change their advice if they think the data holds up.

Forgive my naivety here, but as a lay person, if this data holds up, surely it’s a no brainer to go with the 3 month interval between doses, no ? Assuming future supply is fairly certain of course.

Safe to assume NiAC/NPHET etc keep abreast of developments in this sphere ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Vicxas wrote: »
    Possibly get this and then a booster down the road?
    These drugs are seen as treatments for patients who have COVID so they'll now have to look at how they can make them work in this scenario.

As opposed to living a goddamn life. It has to end, it’s becoming a farce how much collateral damage is accepted in the young. The elderly will be vaccinated by autumn, the vulnerable will now be protected - everything needs to open up.

I think there's wires cross here. Are you suggesting "open everything up" today?

If we get to a point where there is low levels of infection and hospital admissions are low, following a successful vaccination campaign, I would expect things will begin to open up. But as things stand universities are preparing to continue online learning. They were already caught with their pants down at the start of this, and I can't imagine they will allow that to happen again. Preparing for online learning isn't a guarantee it will be online.

The elderly and vulnerable can end up filling up hospitals and potentially collapsing a health system, that affects everyone, including the young. So save the oldies, save us all!

Miike wrote: »
    I think there's wires cross here. Are you suggesting "open everything up" today?

If we get to a point where there is low levels of infection and hospital admissions are low, following a successful vaccination campaign, I would expect things will begin to open up. But as things stand universities are preparing to continue online learning. They were already caught with their pants down at the start of this, and I can't imagine they will allow that to happen again. Preparing for online learning isn't a guarantee it will be online.

I’m talking about September. If universities are still online only I hope students will take to the streets in protest, this parent will be joining them.

is_that_so wrote: »
    The elderly and vulnerable can end up filling up hospitals and potentially collapsing a health system, that affects everyone, including the young. So save the oldies, save us all!

They’ll be vaccinated by then.

They’ll be vaccinated by then.

We hope, just as much as we hope that some new variant doesn't crop up nullifying the efforts to date. Universities are simply preparing for things, I wouldn't be jumping up and down in my Jimmy Choos just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Cole

I’m talking about September. If universities are still online only I hope students will take to the streets in protest, this parent will be joining them.

I think you're in the wrong thread...it's the "let's take back our country/good on Michael O'Leary" conspiracy thread you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Cork2021

I won’t argue with the medicines boards but there does seem to be a lot of throwing toys out of the pram by some countries

Cole wrote: »
    I think you're in the wrong thread...it's the "let's take back our country/good on Michael O'Leary" conspiracy thread you want.

Rude, and wrong.

France has followed Germany in only recommending the AstraZeneca vaccine those under 65:

https://www.lemonde.fr/planete/article/2021/02/02/la-haute-autorite-de-sante-recommande-le-vaccin-d-astrazeneca-aux-moins-de-65-ans_6068532_3244.html

"Covid-19: the High Authority for Health recommends AstraZeneca vaccine for people under 65
    The HAS considers that "there is a lack of data for people over the age of 65", who are however the people most at risk."

"The French National Authority for Health (HAS) proposed, Tuesday, February 2, to recommend the AstraZeneca vaccine to people under the age of 65. In its opinion, the HAS considers that "there is a lack of data for people over the age of 65" in the phase 3 trials, carried out by the University of Oxford, which designed the product, and the pharmaceutical company Anglo-Swedish, declared Tuesday, February 2, at a press conference the president of the HAS, Dominique Le Guludec. The High Authority, responsible for advising the government, therefore does not recommend administering it to the elderly, who are the most at risk categories."

It's hardly surprising though given the recent comments from Macron.

I'm astounded by Macron's comments recently. Leader of the most vaccine sceptical population in the world and he has probably reinforced those views for a lot of people, highly irresponsible in my view.

I'm astounded by Macron's comments recently. Leader of the most vaccine sceptical population in the world and he has probably reinforced those views for a lot of people, highly irresponsible in my view.
    It might just be the right call. It is easier to sell vaccines with 90%+ efficacy to a sceptical public. Look at posters here choosing their own vaccine!

Rude, and wrong.

I don't think it's rude to point you in the direction of a thread that is calling for protests and opening up...as you've indicated you're in favour of.

Maybe I'm wrong that you are not interested in the sentiments in that thread, but I can only assume you are because you 'liked' the OP which included the call to "take back our country".

Does anyone know when NIAC will release their guidance around AZ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

I don't think it's rude to point you in the direction of a thread that is calling for protests and opening up...as you've indicated you're in favour of.

Maybe I'm wrong that you are not interested in the sentiments in that thread, but I can only assume you are because you 'liked' the OP which included the call to "take back our country".

That thread was handy. Anybody who liked that brain dead drivel spouted by the OP could be added to my extensive ignore list. I had most of them already, but got a few new crackpots from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

The last time i checked i believe this might be the vaccine thread .:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

The Russian Sputnik V phase 3 results have now been published in The Lancet:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)00234-8/fulltext

Excellent results, no major efficacy differences between age groups and good on the safety front as well. The 1st dose kicks in at around day 18 when looking at the incidence graph. Efficacy against moderate or severe disease was 100% 21 days after 1st dose. Two weeks after 1st dose efficacy was already up to 87%.

Here is a copy of the efficacy table by age groups:

Age group (years)
    18–30 5 1/1596 (0·1%) 4/521 (0·8%) 91·9% (51·2–99·3) 0·0146
    31–40 17 4/3848 (0·1%) 13/1259 (1·0%) 90·0% (71·1–96·5) <0·0001
    41–50 19 4/4399 (0·1%) 15/1443 (1·0%) 91·3% (73·7–96·9) <0·0001
    51–60 27 5/3510 (0·1%) 22/1146 (1·9%) 92·7% (81·1–97·0) <0·0001
    >60 10 2/1611 (0·1%) 8/533 (1·5%) 91·8% (67·1–98·3) 0·0004

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Does anyone know when NIAC will release their guidance around AZ?

There was a letter to the CMO last night from them anyway , no word.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement