Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

snowcat wrote: »

"The report said that “at least until the summer, we won’t be able to take off the masks.”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Water John wrote: »
    Take from that they are saying, there is no medical reason not to use it for over 65s. Why would the CMO or the politicians disagree?

Passing the tough decision and the public messaging that goes with it to someone else.

Every confidence in the Az jab but since it's there and more available I would be more comfortable if they kept Pfizer over 85 and everyone over 65 with elevated risk/ specific chronic illnesses at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Breege_M

Take from that they are saying, there is no medical reason not to use it for over 65s. Why would the CMO or the politicians disagree?

Well we will be in the minority in EU. Todate Germany, France, Austria, Italy,Belgium, Sweden have all decided not to vaccinate over 65s with AstraZenica.
    Spain is still considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Breege_M wrote: »
    Well we will be in the minority in EU. Todate Germany, France, Austria, Italy,Belgium, Sweden have all decided not to vaccinate over 65s with AstraZenica.

If we don't, well at least finish off all healthcare workers very quickly (probably this month) and maybe by march we might know more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Yevon wrote: »
    Has there been any indication if Ireland will administer the AZ vaccine with the 3 month interval?

Was also wondering this. What are the chances?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

There are 27 countries in the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

Yevon wrote: »
    Has there been any indication if Ireland will administer the AZ vaccine with the 3 month interval?

Doubtful as the vaccines Conditional Marketing Authorisation from the EU is based on the data submitted. So if the marketing authorisation doesn’t permit a longer interval, any use would constitute unlicensed use of a medicinal product and the state would be fully liable for any adverse effect. The EU (and us by extension) have already indicated we are not interested in Emergency Authorisations/unlicensed usage - so I can’t see it happening without a phase III trial and a new EMA authorisation. I’d put it out of your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Cole

Only under 65s in Poland too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Cole

Doubtful as the vaccines Conditional Marketing Authorisation from the EU is based on the data submitted. So if the marketing authorisation doesn’t permit a longer interval, any use would constitute unlicensed use of a medicinal product and the state would be fully liable for any adverse effect. The EU (and us by extension) have already indicated we are not interested in Emergency Authorisations/unlicensed usage - so I can’t see it happening without a phase III trial and a new EMA authorisation. I’d put it out of your mind.

What did the submitted data recommend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Cole wrote: »
    What did the submitted data recommend?

The data is just that IWT. The EMA would formulate its view based on the data. AZ would have asked for authorisation for use in all adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

snowcat wrote: »

Yet another clickbait article, obsessing over variants and strains which, lest we forget, the vaccines still work very effectively against!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭Russman

Didn’t EMA approve for an interval of between 4 and 12 weeks ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Malcomex

I see the head of the vaccine development at jansen says the vaccine is 100% effective at preventing hospitalization

That includes the SA variant

That sounds very good to me anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Malcomex wrote: »
    I see the head of the vaccine development at jansen says the vaccine is 100% effective at preventing hospitalization

Contrary to what the media continue to portray, there is very little negatives RE vaccines at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

PCeeeee wrote: »
    There are 27 countries in the EU.

They don’t all have equal population though. The big population countries seem to be leaning towards not giving it.

Contrary to what the media continue to portray, there is very little negatives RE vaccines at the moment

Ya sounds like a result to me anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭riddles

Who pays for hotel based quarantining?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭shoppergal

Does anybody have any insight as to how the the vaccinations will be rolled out to the mass population? So when we get to the last group the 18 to 64 year-olds or whatever it is is how will the priority be set at that stage? Will it just be a case of booking yourself into a GP or mass vaccination centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

Russman wrote: »
    Didn’t EMA approve for an interval of between 4 and 12 weeks ?

You are correct sir. AZ Vaccine is 4-12 weeks.
    Pfizer 21 days and Moderna 28 days.

Remains to be seen whether we’ll aim closer to 4 for AZ or longer.

• Advertisement

riddles wrote: »
    Who pays for hotel based quarantining?

If you wish to travel, you do, hardly the Govn't. Though it hasn't been said yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

shoppergal wrote: »
    Does anybody have any insight as to how the the vaccinations will be rolled out to the mass population? So when we get to the last group the 18 to 64 year-olds or whatever it is is how will the priority be set at that stage? Will it just be a case of booking yourself into a GP or mass vaccination centre?

The plan is for mass vaccination centers to do the real heavy lifting outside of the most vulnerable population which will be covered in clinics, GPs etc

Absolutely. While we can always strive to be better, if anyone had suggested going into the October lockdown that we’d have 3 vaccines approved by February it would have been seen as very ambitious. We’re living through arguably the biggest scientific breakthroughs in a century.

shoppergal wrote: »

Not been fully laid out TMK, but it will be a combination of GPs, Pharmacists and vaccine centres. This to get the numbers done, 200/250,000 per week.
    In the UK volunteers do some of the general work, not the actual vaccinating at the vaccination centres. Volunteerism may have a role, and that's a good thing.

Russman wrote: »
    Absolutely. While we can always strive to be better, if anyone had suggested going into the October lockdown that we’d have 3 vaccines approved by February it would have been seen as very ambitious. We’re living through arguably the biggest scientific breakthroughs in a century.

That would be Quantum Mechanics but go ahead anyhow

Ok medical breakthroughs.

That's why they're three Nobel prizes, one for physics, another for chemistry and a third for medicine.

The vaccination centres would be suitable for use of the Pfizer vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Most of them are, we never hear about it though. Literally ever, it's mental.

Oxford/AZ saying their vaccine may stop you transmitting the virus. Hope the fuller data shows this.

• Advertisement

AZ saying their vaccine may stop you transmitting the virus. Hope the fuller data shows this.

Hopefully

This will feature largely in ease of restrictions

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement