Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DSN

Gael23 wrote: »
    Also wonder what happens with patients in nursing homes who do not have capacity to consent

My mil in UK last week signed for my grandmother in law (power of attorney)

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

6 weeks to vaccinate 70000 staff and residents of nursing homes with Mon -Friday vaccinations only.

Another fine long drawn out mess from the HSE on the horizon.

At that rate it will take almost 8 years to vaccinate the entire population of 4.8 million

Obviously not everyone is going to get it etc. But even half the country at that rate of vaccination is 4 years.

Why are we waiting until the 11th Jan to begin?

We need to get some help from Europe on this as historically our health service efficiency is shocking to say the least.

We need urgency and efficiency with this .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

6 weeks to vaccinate 70000 staff and residents of nursing homes with Mon -Friday vaccinations only.

Another fine long drawn out mess from the HSE on the horizon.

At that rate it will take almost 8 years to vaccinate the entire population of 4.8 million

Obviously not everyone is going to get it etc. But even half the country at that rate of vaccination is 4 years.

Why are we waiting until the 11th Jan to begin?

We need to get some help from Europe on this as historically our health service efficiency is shocking to say the least.

We need urgency and efficiency with this .

I had initially been angry about the rollout, but I think the wait until the 11th is because they are vaccinating hospital workers first, so there isn’t enough vaccine until the 11th.
    The Monday to Friday bit is also annoying but I guess if the vaccine comes in weekly and you can get through what you have in 5 days, then spreading it over 7 just slows you down, it’s not as if working 7 days makes more available.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,100 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    I had initially been angry about the rollout, but I think the wait until the 11th is because they are vaccinating hospital workers first, so there isn’t enough vaccine until the 11th.
    The Monday to Friday bit is also annoying but I guess if the vaccine comes in weekly and you can get through what you have in 5 days, then spreading it over 7 just slows you down, it’s not as if working 7 days makes more available.

That’s the case now but when AstraZeneca and J&J come on board it needs to be Monday to Saturday 8am to 8pm

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    I think the wait until the 11th is because they are vaccinating hospital workers first, so there isn’t enough vaccine until the 11th.

Sorry, I've been working the last few days so haven't been keeping up with the thread, whats the timeline looking like now? Is it just hospital workers on covid wards that are being vaccinated before nursing homes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Irish Independent and Irish Times reports on the Taoiseach's comments on the vaccine rollout here and here.

- Expects Oxford vaccine ("third vaccine") to be distributed here in January.
    - Mass vaccinations in May or June. ("conservative estimate")
    - But the timeline could be accelerated if manufacturing ramps up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

JTMan wrote: »
    Irish Independent and Irish Times reports on the Taoiseach's comments on the vaccine rollout here and here.

More news like this please. 2021 is shaping up to be a good year

• Registered Users Posts: 12,100 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I would imagine the manufacturing plants will be operating 24 hour shifts once approvals are given

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Kerry25x wrote: »
    Sorry, I've been working the last few days so haven't been keeping up with the thread, whats the timeline looking like now? Is it just hospital workers on covid wards that are being vaccinated before nursing homes?

My aunt works in a Dublin hospital, non covid ward unless they need the capacity, she's got an appointment for Thursday to get her first shot

Nothing different to what he said 2 weeks ago so, by mass vaccination he means getting right down the list.

If we've the older population covered by April & May its very good going.

Bringing moderna and Oxford on stream most definitely speeds things up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,129 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

My aunt works in a Dublin hospital, non covid ward unless they need the capacity, she's got an appointment for Thursday to get her first shot

That’s brilliant news . Great to hear from people on the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Gael23 wrote: »
    I would imagine the manufacturing plants will be operating 24 hour shifts once approvals are given

I would guess they have been at full capacity for quite a while already. Also a guess but I expect the potential ramp up being talked about is new production capacity or contracting out production in some fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Haven't been following the thread for the past few days. So, the first Vaccines arrive today. When will HSE start administering them ? And how many people per day/week are they targeting?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Haven't been following the thread for the past few days. So, the first Vaccines arrive today. When will HSE start administering them ? And how many people per day/week are they targeting?

Think they starting vaccinations on Wednesday, don't understand why wait tho. Vaccines arrived today in my home country as well. Vaccinations starting tomorrow..

xhomelezz wrote: »
    Think they starting vaccinations on Wednesday, don't understand why wait tho. Vaccines arrived today in my home country as well. Vaccinations starting tomorrow..

I wonder why the delay ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

9pm-5pm, 5/7 injecting in good old Ireland. UK is 7am-7pm, 7/7.

We can pay Gardai obscene amounts of overtime to wave at people at the side of the road but can't pay HSE staff overtime to administer a vaccine that wil save lives and money.

Lundstram wrote: »
    9pm-5pm, 5/7 injecting in good old Ireland.

Seriously ?? Are they not going to expand that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I see the RTE news app showing photo’s of the batch along with a cheeful looking Donnelly. One thing for sure you wouldn’t have seen Tony there showing some cheerfulness , support and hope along with the batch of arrivals.

Seriously ?? Are they not going to expand that ?
    Considering it's taking 4 days to get the vaccine in nursing homes, this is quite efficient in comparison.

The HSE, a bureaucrat's wet dream.

• Advertisement

I really hope that public pressure gets them to put the resources into this Vaccine rollout.
    It can't be helped if we don't get supplies but once the doses are here in the Country, it should be all systems go for rollout.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Considering it's taking 4 days to get the vaccine in nursing homes, this is quite efficient in comparison.

The HSE, a bureaucrat's wet dream.

Vaccines not going to nursing homes till Jan 11th

Its hospitals first

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I see the RTE news app showing photo’s of the batch along with a cheeful looking Donnelly. One thing for sure you wouldn’t have seen Tony there showing some cheerfulness , support and hope along with the batch of arrivals.
    Hang on now, you're not suggesting anyone with any sort of sway should be more like Donnelly, surely... :eek:

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Here's Tony helping out.

200.gif

Stheno wrote: »
    Vaccines not going to nursing homes till Jan 11th

Its hospitals first

I thought it was residents of Nursing Homes aged over 85 plus staff first ?
    I must read the priorities list again

9pm-5pm, 5/7 injecting in good old Ireland. UK is 7am-7pm, 7/7.

We can pay Gardai obscene amounts of overtime to wave at people at the side of the road but can't pay HSE staff overtime to administer a vaccine that wil save lives and money.

Thats the schedule for nursing homes so its completely different. It absolutely is not 9-5 in hospitals this week.

Honestly people jump up and down giving out about the slightest thing before its even begun and they don't have the full details

Here's Tony helping out.

200.gif

I just hope it's not our vaccination task force in action..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

xhomelezz wrote: »

i know its only a matter of a few days, but they really shouldnt be waiting around for anything, just get it done.

I thought it was residents of Nursing Homes aged over 85 plus staff first ?
    I must read the priorities list again

The first week or two is purely hospital based injections much like the UK who after 2 weeks of hospital based and ensured everything was ok then moved to nursing homes. Its prudent to have the first batch of injections in a hospital setting, there are also issues around how many times you move the vaccine so nursing homes on site present a challenge

• Advertisement

Thats the schedule for nursing homes so its completely different. It absolutely is not 9-5 in hospitals this week.

Honestly people jump up and down giving out about the slightest thing before its even begun and they don't have the full details
    "the slightest thing"

So you think its acceptable for 35 vaccines to be injected in a 9-5 shift for 5 days a week by one person in a nursing home? You think think this kind of efficency is acceptable?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement