Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yup but NIAC Recommendation has just been released in the last few minutes
    Yeah, it's mentioned in there but that's the HSE recommendation for now. I'd view the NIAC one as a general recommendation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭frozen3

Multipass wrote: »
    Wow, that news could be death for some. Any vaccine now would be better than a great one someday.

It's seems ridiculous imo

UK are vaccinating that group with AZ and have any real world issues been noted regarding efficacy or hospitalisations from the vaccine ?

EMA approved it's use in all ages?

Why isn't that enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

is_that_so wrote: »
    Yeah, it's mentioned in there but that's the HSE recommendation for now. I'd view the NIAC one as a general recommendation.

HSE take their lead on vaccination from NIAC. They'll have to lay out the plans now and see which is preferable & rollout in a timely manner as per recommendation. Lets see what they come up with, vaccine taskforce plans due in the next few days appearently

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

When? All of a sudden time doesn’t matter. When they could catch this at any moment. I’m confused why anyone would think this is good news... unless they’re in the next category down and happy to be jumping up the queue.

If time matters (and I do agree it's a concern) I would suspect that many people would be upset with the delay in taking the second dose of Astra Zenaca. The guidance says 4-12 weeks.

If this is in practice 12 weeks I would imagine that the majority of over 70s will get their second dose sooner if limiting to Pfizer and Modern than if they were waiting for a second dose of Astra Zenaca.

My mother would certainly prefer the Pfizer vaccine if she had a choice and would be willing to wait a few extra weeks.

frozen3 wrote: »
    It's seems ridiculous imo

UK are vaccinating that group with AZ and have any real world issues been noted regarding efficacy or hospitalisations from the vaccine ?

EMA approved it's use in all ages?

Why isn't that enough?

They are saying that mRNA vaccines are preferred for older groups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,135 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

When? All of a sudden time doesn’t matter. When they could catch this at any moment. I’m confused why anyone would think this is good news... unless they’re in the next category down and happy to be jumping up the queue.

Actually my husband is in the over 70 group so be careful who you post such to

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

If time matters (and I do agree it's a concern) I would suspect that many people would be upset with the delay in taking the second dose of Astra Zenaca. The guidance says 4-12 weeks.

If this is in practice 12 weeks I would imagine that the majority of over 70s will get their second dose sooner if limiting to Pfizer and Modern than if they were waiting for a second dose of Astra Zenaca.

My mother would certainly prefer the Pfizer vaccine if she had a choice and would be willing to wait a few extra weeks.

It's 4-6 weeks for the second dose of Az for the over 70s

• Registered Users Posts: 13,945 ✭✭✭✭josip

As posted previously, I'm happier for my 83 year old mother to wait a few more weeks and get BioNTech instead of Oxford.
    She's been cocooning well for the past 11 months and doesn't mind waiting a bit longer if needs be.

HSE take their lead on vaccination from NIAC. They'll have to lay out the plans now and see which is preferable & rollout in a timely manner as per recommendation
    Well that story via a Henry interview today says that they have made a different decision. Anyway, we'll see in due course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

My guess (hope) is that the HSE will say anyone eligible (incl over 70s) can get their AZ vaccine at their GPs office. If they're over 70 and prefer they can put themselves on the list for pfizer/moderna and be given an appointment at a mass vaccination centre instead.

People can then either choose to get the AZ vaccine soon and conviently or if they feel more vulnerable or have personal reasons they can wait an additional few weeks to get the Pfizer vaccine.

• Advertisement

They are saying that mRNA vaccines are preferred for older groups.

EMA or UK?

UK have vaccinated millions in that age group

What have they said about this issue?

Gael23 wrote: »
    HSE have now directed that over 70s are to get Pfizer vaccine. I guess this means the rollout plan needs to be redrawn

Why didn't they just say 65?

Gonna have to change that whole roll out plan now and do 65-69? Or 54-69 Or 19-69

Wouldn't have to change anything if they said over 65s, mess again tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Why didn't they just say 65?

Gonna have to change that whole roll out plan now and do 65-69? Or 54-69 Or 19-69

Wouldn't have to change anything if they said over 65s, mess again tbh

65-69 is already a category.

josip wrote: »
    As posted previously, I'm happier for my 83 year old mother to wait a few more weeks and get BioNTech instead of Oxford.
    She's been cocooning well for the past 11 months and doesn't mind waiting a bit longer if needs be.

Few weeks is a massive difference to those that dont have that privilege

Nursing home my wife works in has had a massive outbreak over the last 2 weeks

If we approved in December like UK those massive deaths, like the 101 we had yesterday could have been avoided

Time = deaths

Few weeks is a massive difference to those that dont have that privilege

Nursing home my wife works in has had a massive outbreak over the last 2 weeks

If we approved in December like UK those massive deaths, like the 101 we had yesterday could have been avoided

Time = deaths

That's a different point you're now raising about the EMA approving Oxford for Emergency Use, which they couldn't have since AZ didn't submit for approval until mid January.
    So nursing homes were always going to be done with BioNTech.
    Today's news affects the 70+ year olds that are not in nursing homes.

65-69 is already a category.

Thanks

See it now, unnecessary group anyway should have blended to those into group 3 instead of below group 4

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

The UK have 10 million vaccinated already.

We could have Ireland vaccinated twice in that time? Whaf the f*** is taking so f***ing long????

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Thanks

See it now, unnecessary group anyway should have blended to those into group 3 instead of below group 4

The groups weren't just picked out of a hat. The age cohorting in efficacy determination as well as vulnerability assessment is data driven.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

We could have Ireland vaccinated twice in that time? Whaf the f*** is taking so f***ing long????

Does this really have to be explained here every single day ?

Please point out any country the same size as Ireland or smaller, that is fully vaccinated.

• Advertisement

josip wrote: »
    That's a different point you're now raising about the EMA approving Oxford for Emergency Use, which they couldn't have since AZ didn't submit for approval until mid January.
    So nursing homes were always going to be done with BioNTech.
    Today's news affects the 70+ year olds that are not in nursing homes.

Its the same thing

Now 70+ year olds outside homes have to wait a few more weeks, like nursing homes did

Whatever way you dress it up, 70 year old + have to wait longer for a vaccine and that wait increases risk of death by Covid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

US have 30 million vaccinated, we could have Ireland vaccinated 7 times in that time!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Does this really have to be explained here every single day ?

He's a let it rip head, don't lower yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Amirani wrote: »
    The groups weren't just picked out of a hat. The age cohorting in efficacy determination as well as vulnerability assessment is data driven.
    And when they move around who they are actually vaccinating, because it's a "living document" and we just gotta do it as quickly as possible, you defend that too. Can't have it both ways?

Imagine only having used 200k out of 207k vaccines received. We should have at least 11 billion vaccinated at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭Apogee

We are due to receive 1.2million vaccines by the end of March. 400,000 from AstraZeneca (300,000 initially and they promised an additional 100,000 last week) and the remaining 800,000 from Pfizer/Moderna.

That 800,000 should cover all individuals 70+ (~450,000) with one dose, and almost sufficient to cover 2 doses.

To date, Pfizer have proved pretty reliable in terms of deliveries to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Cole

hynesie08 wrote: »
    He's a let it rip head, don't lower yourself.

That's putting it politely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

And when they move around who they are actually vaccinating, because it's a "living document" and we just gotta do it as quickly as possible, you defend that too. Can't have it both ways?

Thats how project management works in the real world. You list out the jobs (categories to be vaccinated) and the resources (vaccines) and constraints (conditions under which vaccines can be used).

Then you line them up asvest you can and as one of the three changes you adjust your plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭hynesie08

How are our moderna numbers looking? Don't hear much about how many we're receiving weekly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Cole

Well that story via a Henry interview today says that they have made a different decision. Anyway, we'll see in due course.

I wish Colm Henry hadn't done that interview earlier...just adds to speculation and confusion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement