Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭brickster69

Cole wrote: »
    I wish Colm Henry hadn't done that interview earlier...just adds to speculation and confusion.

Say that again. So if EMA recommended MRNI jabs should be given priority to 70+ when are the next MRNI does due to be delivered and how many ?

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Thats how project management works in the real world. You list out the jobs (categories to be vaccinated) and the resources (vaccines) and constraints (conditions under which vaccines can be used).

Then you line them up asvest you can and as one of the three changes you adjust your plan.
    The real world outcome has involved children of hospital managers getting doses in early January because the "plan" failed to anticipate obvious issues that even a pleb like me complained about before the news broke. So I'm sorry if this is a hard nosed attitude, but I don't accept that as a coherent point, certainly not to unreservedly defend the HSE from any criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Cork2021

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Yevon wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/EMA_News/status/1357013067041820673?s=20

EMA begins a rolling review of Novavax. Great news, hopefully they apply for approval soon.

wouldnt you love the EMA to beat the brits to just one of these appeovals.

Come on von der leyen, get it done!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Moderna was approved by the EMA before it was approved in the UK. Hopefully, J&J will also be approved in EU before UK.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭frozen3

Moderna was approved by the EMA before it was approved in the UK. Hopefully, J&J will also be approved in EU before UK.

Yes J&J is the one we need to beat Brit's and Yanks too

Novavax are small time, J&J is single dose and they are a monster company, we need to beat rivals to them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Polar101

frozen3 wrote: »
    Yes J&J is the one we need to beat Brit's and Yanks too

Novavax are small time, J&J is single dose and they are a monster company, we need to beat rivals to them

I'd rather see the EU get the vaccinations done properly, rather than engage in some imaginary race to beat Brits and Yanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

I think that might be because the UK didn't have a delivery date until March for Moderna.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

That's all great but the EU commission haven't actually signed off on a contract with Novavax, have they? Britain signed off on 60 million doses in August. Back of the queue.

Things are going to slightly improve this month with AstraZeneca deliveries and Pfizer increasing deliveries, but we'll have to wait until the beginning of April until the EU vaccination programme truly takes off with J&J becoming available and Moderna/AstraZeneca's capacity increasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Does this really have to be explained here every single day ?

It’s the same craic regarding the vaccines on the newer variants.

• Advertisement

Polar101 wrote: »
    I'd rather see the EU get the vaccinations done properly, rather than engage in some imaginary race to beat Brits and Yanks.

What's properly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Martin confirms AZ vaccine will not be given to over 70s

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/politics/arid-40220000.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I see Boris and co will be publishing a route map out of lockdown this month. It will be interesting to see in conjunction with their vaccine program what they have planned. I wonder if we will get a ‘route map’ soon after…..

“Mr Johnson said the government will set out a "route map" out of lockdown on 22 February.

He said the country would be in a "very different situation" to last summer, where disease levels had been reduced but there was no vaccine.”

“This time as we go into the second half of the year we are going to have the confidence of knowing a huge proportion of the British public - particularly the most vulnerable - will have been vaccinated and probably have received a very high degree of immunity.”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭brickster69

Marhay70 wrote: »

What does Belgium know that they wont accept AZ for the over 55's and the Eu has approved it's use for all ages. Must be something.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Marhay70 wrote: »

Except he wasn't exaclty clear in the interview, its a fairly straightforward question to answer
    https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1357040046038257665?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Cole

For the life of me I cannot understand why Colm Henry and Micheal Martin couldn't have just let NIAC first release their recommendations, allow all the relevant bodies to consult re. the recommendations and then release an official statement on the roll out for the over 70s group...then nobody would be confused when they start doing News at One/Irish Examiner interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

What does Belgium know that they wont accept AZ for the over 55's and the Eu has approved it's use for all ages. Must be something.

What we all know.

8% of people involved in the Astra Zenaca trial was over 55. The confidence interval on the efficacy is very wide.

The EU has approved as there is no evidence that there would be a difference between 54 year olds and 65 year olds.

Other countries has decided that since the efficacy in older people has not been sufficiently proven that they shouldn't give the vaccine to older people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭Russman

So who’s getting AZ next week ? 65-69 ?

Cork2021 wrote: »

Was never in doubt tbf

Its Brazil and South African variants that have the vaccine evading mutations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I know there was some talk here about vaccines driving cases down already but the WHO are baffled:
    https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1357061387999014912?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭lillycakes2

I am really glad the over 70's are going to get the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine ! Excellent news

I know there was some talk here about vaccines driving cases down already but the WHO are baffled:
    Dare I say it...

Is it burning itself out??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Dare I say it...

Is it burning itself out??

It's certainly a possibility.

polesheep wrote: »

Every minute of every day you could assume someone in the world is getting some sort of covid vaccine and along with the public health advice and restrictions, this has to be all linked! We’ve over 200k with a first/second dose that’s a good proportion and we’ve 200k confirmed cases(likely to be 2/3 times more)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,135 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

polesheep wrote: »

Hopefully, but with these recent variants not weakening its infection rate I would doubt it.
    It went quiet in Europe over the Summer, and while that may have been to do with people out in good weather, it did come back with a vengeance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I don't read a lot of science publications but try to read Derek Lowe's when I can.
    He has another one out of the Astrazeneca news:
    The swab data say that it has. It appears that the vaccine reduced the number of people showing PCR positivity by 50 to 70%. The actual numbers were -67% after the first dose and -54% overall, but I wouldn’t read anything into that difference, because the confidence intervals for those two measurements completely overlap. So it looks like everything is shifted: hospitalized cases end up being able to stay at home with more moderate symptoms, people who would have had moderate symptoms end up asymptomatic, and people who would have been asymptomatic end up not testing positive at all. Oh, and people who would have died stayed alive. There’s that, too.

If you just look at efficacy in preventing asymptomatic infection, you get a really low number (16% efficacy, confidence interval banging into the zero baseline). But my interpretation of that is that the overall number of asymptomatic patients didn’t change too much, because as just mentioned, the “would have been asymptomatic” group is not showing infection at all, and their numbers have been replaced by people from the “would have been showing symptoms” cohort, who are now just asymptomatic. And since transmission would seem to depend on viral load (among other factors), reducing viral load across the population (as shown by the significant decrease in PCR positivity) would certainly be expected to slow transmission. As Eric Topol noted at the time, this same effect had been noticed in the Moderna data in December. So with the numbers we have now, I feel pretty confident that yes, as one would have hoped, these vaccines also reduce transmission of the virus in the population. I believe that we should soon see this in a large real-world way in the Israeli data, where a significant part of the population has now been vaccinated.
    https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2021/02/03/oxford-astrazeneca-data-again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Every minute of every day you could assume someone in the world is getting some sort of covid vaccine and along with the public health advice and restrictions, this has to be all linked! We’ve over 200k with a first/second dose that’s a good proportion and we’ve 200k confirmed cases(likely to be 2/3 times more)

It's too soon to be vaccine for that kind of drop. We don't actually know how many people have had it so we don't know the level of herd immunity. Early last year an immunologist told me that it would end by vaccine, slow herd immunity or just burn out, or possibly a combination. When I asked him what he meant by burn out, he said "End without us knowing exactly why it ended - or at least not know straight away". He was, however, confident that we would end it by vaccine.

Nothing baffling

Christmas and New Year is over

January is a quiet month

I'll mail WHO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭conor_mc

Be interesting to see the figures for non-Christian societies. I mean, it’s clear our Xmas behaviour of meeting up with friends/families caused a massive spike that began to rapidly dissipate in late January. Probably the same for most of the Western world.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement