Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

i know its only a matter of a few days, but they really shouldnt be waiting around for anything, just get it done.

Imo they should've been ready for immediate rollout. Whole fcùking country wants to see great effort on that line..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Lundstram wrote: »
    "the slightest thing"

So you think its acceptable for 35 vaccines to be injected in a 9-5 shift for 5 days a week by one person in a nursing home? You think think this kind of efficency is acceptable?

You understand there's going to be more than 1 person vaccinating?

Do me or you have the full plan, nope, it was labelled DRAFT. Vacination plans are living documents and will change constantly.

Already changed in terms of hospitals this week.

Save your outrage until the plan begins to roll out.

Anyway today is a good day, time to log off for the day and get back to the turkey and ham. The light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭mike8634

"the slightest thing"

So you think its acceptable for 35 vaccines to be injected in a 9-5 shift for 5 days a week by one person in a nursing home? You think think this kind of efficency is acceptable?

Exactly

We all did our part with these insane restrictions for a year

They need to get the finger out and start working now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Paul Reid :

“We can now have a “twin track” approach to our response to Covid-19. Public health measures along with the vaccine for a brighter future”

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

"the slightest thing"

If there's 35 vaccines happening in a nursing home one person taking the day to do it would seem pretty normal in my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

If there's 35 vaccines happening in a nursing home one person taking the day to do it would seem pretty normal in my experience.

Should be aiming for 35 vaccines an hour with that rate rising ASAP.
    More personnel needed. Local doctors close surgery for day the local nursing home is scheduled etc. Think outside the box for once

6 weeks to vaccinate 70000 is not quick enough for the seriousness of the situation this whole country is facing economically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

You understand there's going to be more than 1 person vaccinating?

Do me or you have the full plan, nope, it was labelled DRAFT. Vacination plans are living documents and will change constantly.

Already changed in terms of hospitals this week.

Save your outrage until the plan begins to roll out.

Anyway today is a good day, time to log off for the day and get back to the turkey and ham. The light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter
    No, I believe one person will vaccinate 5 million people. :rolleyes:

It's an outrage it's taking 4 full days to start injecting and that's just the start of the blunders that no doubt awaits us.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,656 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Taoiseach said this morning return to normality by May or June. Now thats things you love to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Taoiseach said this morning return to normality by May or June. Now thats things you love to hear.

some sense of normality, not normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

This ineffiency in the HSE is normal?

I guess this is why its in such a state which has made our restrictions one of the strictest in Europe overall since March.

No accountability whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Exciting stuff. I was initially angry with the 9-5 thing but good news is coming in fast the last day or two. Here's to a healthy 2021!

irishgeo wrote: »

https://twitter.com/adriancummins/status/1342771532704178177?s=21

“Return to normality”

irishgeo wrote: »

My opinion is we’ll be well on the way for normailty by June but probably autumn for the full effect. Now that’s my opinion after carefully weighing it all up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Next 2 weeks are crucial

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Really? Surely that should take 2 hours tops. The draft plan seems to include the 15 minute wait period after a vaccine to ensure no adverse reaction as something that runs consecutively between patients. When there is no reason they shouldn't run concurrently. A generous 5 minutes to vaccinate each patient and each patient waits 15 minutes while the next few of the others are vaccinated. That's how every other vaccine I've ever had works. The doctor/nurse doesn't scrutinise you for 15 minutes to make sure you are ok before administering the next one. They give you your shot. Then tell you go sit in the hall for 15 minutes while they get on to the next person. If someone has a reaction, they are on hand to stop what they are doing and attend to that person. But they don't twiddle their thumbs waiting around for something that almost certainly won't happen.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

iguana wrote: »
    Really? Surely that should take 2 hours tops. The draft plan seems to include the 15 minute wait period after a vaccine to ensure no adverse reaction as something that runs consecutively between patients. When there is no reason they shouldn't run concurrently. A generous 5 minutes to vaccinate each patient and each patient waits 15 minutes while the next few of the others are vaccinated. That's how every other vaccine I've ever had works. The doctor/nurse doesn't scrutinise you for 15 minutes to make sure you are ok before administering the next one. They give you your shot. Then tell you go sit in the hall for 15 minutes while they get on to the next person. If someone has a reaction, they are on hand to stop what they are doing and attend to that person. But they don't twiddle their thumbs waiting around for something that almost certainly won't happen.

Plus its a team of four vaccinators for the small nursing homes, one lead, two more vaccinators, and one admin person

Perhaps they are being intentionally pessimistic with timescales for nursing homes given that its the elderly and they may have to move from room to room and possibly get people who are bedbound "ready"?

The nursing home plan estimates 12 minutes per vaccination. So 5 per person per hour. Team of 3 working for 8 hours with an hour break ~105 vaccinations per day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

Should be aiming for 35 vaccines an hour with that rate rising ASAP.

Is that one person doing 35 vaccines an hour? That's not manageable.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I think a lot of those questioning the nursing homes plan aren’t taking fully into account the constraints and logistical challenges involved here. It’s a very decentralised network of places to be vaccinated with very vulnerable patients involved. The same thing happened in the UK - it was never going to be straightforward.

On the flip side, we are starting vaccinations of other groups next week also - while the nursing homes will take time to complete, there will be tens of thousands of other people vaccinated in parallel. We’re working towards that same goal regardless of what steps are being taken and in what order.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

marno21 wrote: »
    I think a lot of those questioning the nursing homes plan aren’t taking fully into account the constraints and logistical challenges involved here. It’s a very decentralised network of places to be vaccinated with very vulnerable patients involved. The same thing happened in the UK - it was never going to be straightforward.

On the flip side, we are starting vaccinations of other groups next week also - while the nursing homes will take time to complete, there will be tens of thousands of other people vaccinated in parallel. We’re working towards that same goal regardless of what steps are being taken and in what order.

I think whats missing is communication around the overall plan tbh. The nursing home plan has been "leaked" in detail while everything else is a bit wishy washy and up in the air

Hopefully if the next two vaccines get approved soon and they get details of how much we get and when, that gap will be closed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

The nursing home plan estimates 12 minutes per vaccination. So 5 per person per hour. Team of 3 working for 8 hours with an hour break ~105 vaccinations per day.

Sounds about right. The people in nursing homes are elderly, delicate and often suffering from dementia. You can't rush through them like you would with the general population.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

"the slightest thing"

As long as they are getting 40000 a week done then I am happy for now...

Fairly mad isnt it that theres vaccines in the country right now. Maybe its just me but i find that crazy :D

Fairly mad isnt it that theres vaccines in the country right now. Maybe its just me but i find that crazy :D

Until someone mistakenly unplugs the fridge instead of the kettle :D

In the words of Mrs Brown “ Oh for f***s sake”

• Registered Users Posts: 82,236 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Even more mad that they are waiting days to administer an already approved vaccine and then waffle to us like children at every press conference about next 2 weeks, next days, next hours being vital in controlling the virus, you couldn't make it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭mike8634

Really hate those statements

"We might return to normality" is more fitting, we all know many hurdles will be ahead

If a mutation appears that evades the vaccines and they have retool them, manufacturer, distribute, vaccinate the vulnerable, its months of lockdown again

We all know we are going to wake up to that news of a rogue strain in the near future

Its as predictable as the sun will rise tomorrow

Even more mad that they are waiting days to administer an already approved vaccine and then waffle to us like children at every press conference about next 2 weeks, next days, next hours being vital in controlling the virus, you couldn't make it up.

Ah would ya stop complaining, some countries won’t have vaccines for years ffs cop on

• Registered Users Posts: 82,236 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Ah would ya stop complaining, some countries won’t have vaccines for years ffs cop on

And that's a major problem, healthy people in this country shouldn't be getting vaccinated ahead of the vulnerable in other countries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Are they planning on doing any education campaign or whatever for vaccines?

I can just see people whipping off their face masks as soon as the needle goes in... But they aren't sure if vaccines will stop transmission so aren't face masks here to stay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,129 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Only on boards do I hear people whinging about it . Everyone I know is thrilled to see it arrive and looking forward to a better summer by May or June

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement