Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

lbj666 wrote: »
    That doesnt mean there isnt waffling and there has been plenty, latest being HSE , NIAC , CMO and the Taoiseach all seem to be slighting contradicting what the plan is.
    Well, the HSE are the only ones who matter as they are running it. A lot of the contradictions are imagined. NIAC and HSE agree, CMO probably does too and the Taoiseach as a politician is most likely to be waffling.

https://twitter.com/peterdonaghy/status/1357358077780119554

COVID-19 vaccine NI yesterday, 17,064 first doses administered (0.91% of the population).

LATEST #COVID19 VACCINE UPDATE FOR NI: 289,274 vaccines have been administered, of which 263,735 were first doses and 25,539 were second doses.

So more people here have got the second dose than in the North even though they started weeks ahead of us

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

In the UK they're spreading the doses 3 months apart so they can give more people their first dose sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭brickster69

When is the next delivery of those vaccines due ?

No one knows do they ?

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

No one knows do they ?
    AFAIK Pfizer is weekly and Moderna may be the same. AZ will be here next week, then who knows after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Cole

Yevon wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/charliebird49/status/1357347199332405253?s=19

Genuinely curious as to what he thinks the mess up on roll out has been? We have administered almost every vaccine we have received apart from a small buffer which is being maintained as a precaution.

Ah Charlie Bird. No better man to find the negativity in anything Covid related and whinge incessantly about it...like his 'lock down' whinge diary he did for the Brendan O'Connor radio show last year. He needs to find a hobby in his retirement.

Date Total Vaccines Given
    Dec-31 1,800
    Jan-04 4,000
    Jan-07 15,314
    Jan-10 40,000

45K second jabs given

Jan-13 77,303 - 32K due before 10/2
    Jan-17 94,000 - 17K 14/2
    Jan-20 121,900 - 36K 21/2
    Jan-24 143,000
    Jan-27 161,500
    Jan-31 199,800
    Feb-3 219,200

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Genuinely curious as to what he thinks the mess up on roll out has been? We have administered almost every vaccine we have received apart from a small buffer which is being maintained as a precaution.

Priority list absolutist maybe?

As long as all the vaccines we have end up in peoples' arms I'm happy for a "best effort" approach to be applied. As you go further down the list you find people who tend to spread the virus more so where you lose out on reducing deaths/hospitalisations, you gain on reducing transmission. So not the end of the world if people move a couple of spaces up in the AZ queue.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Charlie Bird isn't the most insightful sort. Was never that sort of journalist.

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement

I love the drama!

"In response to a query this evening ..."

This is not news BTW. It's more or less been that way since January.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭landofthetree

• Registered Users Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Realistically we should see a significant reduction in mortality in Israel soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Cole

is_that_so wrote: »
    I love the drama!

"In response to a query this evening ..."

This is not news BTW. It's more or less been that way since January.

There's only so much you can squeeze of out a story. They're all fighting over the scraps to make a story out of nothing very much.

Cole wrote: »
    There's only so much you can squeeze of out a story. They're all fighting over the scraps to make a story out of nothing very much.
    Yeah, they are also transposing the "EU mess" thing here when we are one of the best in terms of vaccinations to date. We look to have an actual plan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭frozen3

UK absolutely killing it

One in five adults vaccinated

45 days to 10%
    13 days to 20%

Vaccinating at a rate of 1% a day right now

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-another-915-die-with-coronavirus-in-uk-as-one-in-five-adults-has-first-vaccine-dose-12208600

• Registered Users Posts: 15,358 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

frozen3 wrote: »
    UK absolutely killing it

45 days to 10%
    13 days to 20%

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-another-915-die-with-coronavirus-in-uk-as-one-in-five-adults-has-first-vaccine-dose-12208600

1/6th of the way for them, great news.

Vicxas wrote: »
    1/6th of the way for them, great news.
    On first shots!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Apologies if this has been asked before but is there any rough timescale on when Over -70’s living at home will be given the vaccine?....and will it be given by their GP or in another location?
    Will it be the case that people Over -80 living at home will get it before people Over -70 living at home for example?

Thanks for any replies.

Apologies if this has been asked before but is there any rough timescale on when Over -70’s living at home will be given the vaccine?....and will it be given by their GP or in another location?
    Will it be the case that people Over -80 living at home will get it before people Over -70 living at home for example?

Thanks for any replies.
    Group 3 to start from Feb 15 with over 85s. Group 3 in total has about 400K so it could be a few weeks. I'd say check with the GP about arrangements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Regardless of people's thoughts on the vaccines, the fact that 105 million have already been given out for a novel disease which originated just over a year ago is staggering

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Fair play to the uk, and I don't want to be that guy, but how ****ed are they if there's a production delay in the next while? Even just a couple of weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

is_that_so wrote: »
    On first shots!

It looks like its becoming more and more clear that first shots will do the job.

AdamD wrote: »
    It looks like its becoming more and more clear that first shots will do the job.
    Not sure that will be clear unless they are checking. They still have a plan for the second shot anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

El Sueño wrote: »
    Regardless of people's thoughts on the vaccines, the fact that 105 million have already been given out for a novel disease which originated just over a year ago is staggering

If you’ve ever played ‘plague Inc’ on your phone, this is usually around the moment you realise your virus has lost!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Thanks Hmmzis

Most of that is way over my head, but good read here from experts in the field on that UK E484K strain that might interest you

http://www.sciencemediacentre.org/expert-reaction-to-document-from-phe-about-the-b-1-1-7-variant-including-reference-to-detection-of-the-e484k-mutation-in-some-b-1-1-7-genomes/?cli_action=1612452197.064

This paper and the references in it would explain this much better than I ever could:

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.02.02.429486v1.full.pdf+html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Thanks for any replies.

hopefully soon, my next door neighbours are in the mid 70's, and god love them they've barely left their house in the past year.

Its crap for the average person, but giving up a year of your life, when dare i say, there's not much of it left must be terrible, added of course to the fear of catching the fecking virus to....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

hopefully soon, my next door neighbours are in the mid 70's, and god love them they've barely left their house in the past year.

Its crap for the average person, but giving up a year of your life, when dare i say, there's not much of it left must be terrible, added of course to the fear of catching the fecking virus to....

My next door neighbours in their late 70's 80's have never did the lockdown thing even when we were all locked up in March. Still going strong. Hopefully they last the last leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Won't be long before we see early signs of the vaccine working , am I right?

Edit : ran some quick arithmetic in my head.. Will be a while yet I'd say!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,128 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

UK absolutely killing it

45 days to 10%
    13 days to 20%

That's great ..because they need to ..badly .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement