Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

The CMO mentioned hospital outbreaks are decreasing rapidly. You'd wonder if the HCW vaccinations are playing a role in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,222 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

snowcat wrote: »
    My next door neighbours in their late 70's 80's have never did the lockdown thing even when we were all locked up in March. Still going strong. Hopefully they last the last leg.

What exactly were they up to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

The CMO mentioned hospital outbreaks are decreasing rapidly. You'd wonder if the HCW vaccinations are playing a role in that.

Ooooh interesting :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

namloc1980 wrote: »
    What exactly were they up to?

Im sorry but im not privvy to their actual lives but they were walking to the local shop. Family calling over. Saying hello to the neighbours (us). Anything specific?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Im sorry but im not privvy to their actual lives but they were walking to the local shop. Family calling over. Saying hello to the neighbours (us). Anything specific?

Nothing unusual about that. Since last March i do the shopping for the parents. There’s a man in his eighties i do see in there regularly since last march along with other old couples who weren’t cocooning. They are all still ok and still doing their shopping to this day.

• Advertisement

I would be guessing that 70% of infections/deaths are being contracted in HSE controlled environments. Yet the HSE blame us for outbreaks. If you look at the trolley situation in Irish hospitals this time last year, you will see nothing has changed this year, If anything the situation is better. Last year we had nearly 100 on trolleys. This year its if anything. Its better. Covid might have been a blessing in disguise for our inept healthcare system

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭berocca2016

Every one to work out their own risk but people forget this is not a fatal virus. Less than 1% of people who catch it will die. Even amongst the over 85's more survive it than die from it. Lots of 100 year olds have got through it. If you are under 45 you have a greater chance of dying in a car crash. My uncle had it (76) and is on o2 at home prior to covid with copd and survived it. Make sure you take Vit D or else spend some time in the sun..(dont get burnt) and dont use sunscreen..that use of dangerous chemicals (sunscreen) to block natural vit d absorbtion has to be one of the biggest scandals of our generation.

https://youtu.be/au6FKi8aAsA

You should always wear an SPF to protect yourself from an increased risk of developing cancer when in the sun. It doesn't matter whether you burn or not. It is completely false to say sunscreen is full of dangerous chemicals.

You should always wear an SPF to protect yourself from an increased risk of developing cancer when in the sun. It doesn't matter whether you burn or not. It is completely false to say sunscreen is full of dangerous chemicals.

Ok. Can you list the chemicals in say your standard cheap sunscreen and their effects on the body.

https://www.ewg.org/sunscreen/report/the-trouble-with-sunscreen-chemicals/#:~:text=The%20most%20common%20sunscreens%20contain,oxide%20and%2For%20titanium%20dioxide.

Ill take my chances with the completely natural organic SUN.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭frozen3

Anyone been monitoring progress of this drug or trial?

EXO-CD24

https://www.debka.com/mivzak/phase-1-trial-of-israel-covid-19-cure-proves-effective-for-96pc-tested-report/

Israel reckon they have found the cure in stage 1 trial

96% effective for severe illness eg hospital stay

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭berocca2016

Ok. Can you list the chemicals in say your standard cheap sunscreen and their effects on the body.

I'm not going to get in with an argument about this. It is a falsehood to claim that sunscreen is full of dangerous chemicals and disingenuous to claim that I need to prove to you why it isn't by listing the ingredients and proving why they are safe.

Sunscreen is listed as safe for sale and is tested by people more qualified than you or I, sun damage happens before any visible or physical signs of burning happen, this again has been proven by people more qualified than you or I.

You are promoting a falsehood, if you are worried about your vitamin d intake, go buy a packet from Aldi for 2 euro, don't increase your risk of skin cancer to do it for free.

This is completely off topic so I will leave it there.

• Advertisement

https://www.ewg.org/sunscreen/report/the-trouble-with-sunscreen-chemicals/#:~:text=The%20most%20common%20sunscreens%20contain,oxide%20and%2For%20titanium%20dioxide.

Ill take my chances with the completely natural organic SUN.

Enjoy your completely natural organic SKIN CANCER.

I presume you “did your research” on this theory at the YouTube Medicsl School?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

A person representing chemists was on the radio earlier saying they are ready to help on the roll out of AZ to people but the HSE and Donnelly hasn't got back to them yet.

Donnelly would want to get the finger out and do his job.

I'm not going to get in with an argument about this. It is a falsehood to claim that sunscreen is full of dangerous chemicals and disingenuous to claim that I need to prove to you why it isn't by listing the ingredients and proving why they are safe.

Sunscreen is listed as safe for sale and is tested by people more qualified than you or I, sun damage happens before any visible or physical signs of burning happen, this again has been proven by people more qualified than you or I.

You are promoting a falsehood, if you are worried about your vitamin d intake, go buy a packet from Aldi for 2 euro, don't increase your risk of skin cancer to do it for free.

This is completely off topic so I will leave it there.

Cool. I gave evidence you did not. Keep using sunscreen if you like but it is certainly not without risk and maybe even cancerous itself but thats off topic too so ill leave it there as well. And sorry but sunscreens are regarded as cosmetic products in the EU and are not under EMA approval

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Evidence

tenor.gif

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Let's get back on topic and quit the bickering shall we folks?

zuutroy wrote: »
    Evidence

tenor.gif

Are you intelligent smart or funny ? You just look stupid

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

A person representing chemists was on the radio earlier saying they are ready to help on the roll out of AZ to people but the HSE and Donnelly hasn't got back to them yet.

Donnelly would want to get the finger out and do his job.

I believe there's no plan to get Pharmacies involved for a number of months. The average deliveries expected in q1 is between 50 and 60k a week but its starts at less than 30k next week.

I believe pharmacies are expected to be involved when numbers per week get above a certain level but they aren't planned to be involved for now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Are you intelligent smart or funny ? You just look stupid

Mod:

Threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Deathofcool

Daily Mail in the UK detailing some early data from professor Daniel Howdon that they are starting to see a reduction in the case fatality ratio of over 85s that they are not seeing in the 75-79 age group yet. Also outlining optimistic easing of restriction predictions if Astrazeneca reduces transmission by 65%.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9222857/Coronavirus-vaccinations-free-Britain-lockdown.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭Marhay70

I believe there's no plan to get Pharmacies involved for a number of months. The average deliveries expected in q1 is between 50 and 60k a week but its starts at less than 30k next week.

I believe pharmacies are expected to be involved when numbers per week get above a certain level but they aren't planned to be involved for now.

You would think they would involve pharmacies from the outset rather than dentists. Most reasonably sized rural communities would have at least one pharmacy, more than would have doctors or dentists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭brickster69

180,000 Moderna Doses & 79,000 Pfizer Doses arrived in Canada from Belgium today

Future Pfizer the delivery numbers are

Week of Feb 8 - 70,000 Doses
    Week of Feb 15 - 335,000 Doses
    Week of Feb 22 - 396,000 Doses

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

From looking at 9 o' clock news I would think we are talking at least a month until rollout of vaccine for Over-70's living at home.....or am I being pessimistic?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Marhay70 wrote: »
    You would think they would involve pharmacies from the outset rather than dentists. Most reasonably sized rural communities would have at least one pharmacy, more than would have doctors or dentists.

When we got our flu vaccine in a pharmacy in October the pharmacist explained to us that they couldn’t do it every day as they needed cover so one pharmacist is out on the floor . They didn’t always have cover and this was in a suburb in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭Apogee

46,100 vaccinations planned for 1-7 Feb (19,100 already administered):
    https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1357333088313896963

29,000 vaccinations for 8-14 Feb
    https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1357333520042110977

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

frozen3 wrote: »
    Anyone been monitoring progress of this drug or trial?

EXO-CD24

https://www.debka.com/mivzak/phase-1-trial-of-israel-covid-19-cure-proves-effective-for-96pc-tested-report/

Israel reckon they have found the cure in stage 1 trial

96% effective for severe illness eg hospital stay

First time hearing of this.
    From the little info available on it, it's a CD24 protein based inhalable drug. CD24 is expressed on lots of immune system cells (among others). Reading up in its functions gives a list the lenght of an arm. The most relevant seem to be inflammation regulation and T cell proliferation (CD4 in particular). Lymphopenia and high levels of inflammation are two major indicators of severe Covid. There are some other functions that could play a role as well, though they would be less against host factors but more along cell mediated viral defenses.

There could be some potential contraindications for certain cancer types and auto immune diseases.

Source: https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fcell.2016.00146/full

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

No it's not, and never has been, but don't let the facts get in the way of your propensity to make a sweeping statement.
    The ONLY benchmark is hospitalisations and/or deaths. If we had 30,000 cases a day (hypothetically obviously) but not one of those got sick, what use would your benchmark be?

With all due respect, you are looking at it from a one-dimensional point of view.

If as you say, you had 30,000 cases a day, then you are putting huge pressure on the virus to evolve to become more serious and deadly, because of the immune response of all those people.

Every scientist knows this. That is why the key to all this is getting case numbers down to very very low figures, so we do not give the virus a chance to mutate whereby then we could be back to square one.

You do not want to have this virus out there in the wild so to speak for years, infecting tens of millions every month, but because we have a vaccine that doesn't make use sick, for now, doesn't mean a new variant can come along, because of the sheer number of people who have the virus, and makes people sick again.

As I will repeat again and again, there is a reason why countries around the world are closing their borders even when we are vaccinating people.

Also, I love it when you talk bout facts, yet you offer just an opinion, a layman's one at that.

Not sure if already posted yet but:

First dose vaccinations

Second dose vaccinations

Vaccinations per 100 people
    ~4.4/100

Total vaccinations

The 4.4 is cheeky, as everyone will need two, better off splitting it between first dose and second dose per 100 people. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Cork2021

How do you mute or ignore posters?

Apogee wrote: »
    46,100 vaccinations planned for 1-7 Feb (19,100 already administered):
    https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1357333088313896963

29,000 vaccinations for 8-14 Feb
    https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1357333520042110977

Quite a slow down from next week onwards, which is to be expected I guess as the HSE need to recalibrate their schedule now.

What was the goal for the end of March again?
    700,000 people vaccinated?

That is looking highly unlikely at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Cork2021 wrote: »
    How do you mute or ignore posters?
    I wish I knew how to do it on mobile.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement